S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Open trunk is too high for my kids

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep your kid in the trunk and his bags in the back seat.

Problem solved.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kutsyy
This is exactly what I was thinking about, but wanted to see if someone have done it.

Thanks,
I'd make a little bit nicer strap from webbing or cut one off an old piece of luggage or something and attach it securely far enough back in the trunk that it doesn't always flop out and get caught hanging out the back of the lid when closed. I'd consider using srews or a pop rivet to attach it to one of the inner bracings on the trunk lid. My 2 cents. An SUV I had once had just auch a strap from the factory because the hatch was like 7 feet off the ground when open.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Trunk opening

Originally Posted by kutsyy
I am wondering if someone have a recommendation.

On the way to work I drop off my kids at school. .............
The problem is that fully open trunk is too high for them to reach. So, my son holds trunk with one hand, and take his wheeled heavy backpack with another. This procedure is not comfortable for him, and he often scratches inside of the trunk, and the bumper (no permanent bumper scratches yet).

Can some one think of a way to limit opening height, or to have some kind of pull loops? Any other ideas/recommendations?

Thanks,
What about adding a nylon belt type strap, "to limit the opening height of the boot" - depends how much you would need to limit the open stroke (aperture) of boot of course, too small an opening and it would become a mail box! Haven't checked at time of this mail, but if a strap can be anchored discretely somehow and also not have to limt opening of trunk too much for use / use by grown-ups ....then might be another alternative??
Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can get out and take their bags out for them. While you feed them good stuff to make em grow faster.

Your kids are not tall enough to close the trunk....and you prefer to just sit inside?

Last edited by Ryan1524; 01-16-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Yea I'd probably recommend you just get out and close the trunk for him cause if he is that little, and is struggling or you make some contraption for him, you run the risk of having to run to the emergency room when he shuts his fingers in the trunk and you gotta explain why, and they will be looking at you like your a bad parent cause you didnt just get out and open the trunk....

I'm a parent too so I know about the whole dropping of the kids at school thing, but I actually never thought to put their stuff in the trunk. they can hold it in their lap or by their feet with no discomfort...
Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think tieing a piece of string on the inside of the trunk on one of the hooks is your best option. Just show your kids how to pull it down and then get it to the height where they can close it with the lip of where the license plate sits.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just have him learn to unlock and fold down the rear seat in back? This would give him full access to the trunk, though he may have to reach pretty far to get his stuff. If he's too short to reach the trunk, he's should be riding in the backseat anyway, right? I'm surprised no one has suggested this!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Growth hormones?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Yea... "SteRoids" should do the trick...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
What about adding a nylon belt type strap, "to limit the opening height of the boot" - depends how much you would need to limit the open stroke (aperture) of boot of course, too small an opening and it would become a mail box! Haven't checked at time of this mail, but if a strap can be anchored discretely somehow and also not have to limt opening of trunk too much for use / use by grown-ups ....then might be another alternative??
This is an interesting idea. Have to look more into it.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Open trunk is too high for my kids