S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Picked up my S4 - now a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my S4 - now a few questions

Hi all.

I picked up my S4 and love it. Especially the deep exhaust note you can hear from inside the cabin. I do have a few questions though and am wondering if other S4 owners can help answer them.

1) Whenever I start my car, when I shift into drive, I feel a little pulsing on the gas pedal. It only happens when the car is started. Is this normal? Does it have something to do with the brake system initializing or something?

2) The gas mileage is horrible. Will it improve as the engine is broken in? I'm getting nowhere near the manufacturers mileage or what was listed in fueleconomy.gov. And I'm driving it normally. Not gunning it or anything.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations, and welcome. Pictures when you can.

1) Yes it's normal. It's the ABS initializing.
2) You can expect to get between 250 and 300 miles per tank, give or take. Check out a thread today over at audizine.com:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...om-a-full-tank

I don't think it'll improve much over time. In fact, it may decrease when you begin to 'get on it,' haha, but I can't comment on that yet, as I'm at about 1750 miles.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AForePlayin'03

2) You can expect to get between 250 and 300 miles per tank, give or take. Check out a thread today over at audizine.com:

I don't think it'll improve much over time. In fact, it may decrease when you begin to 'get on it,' haha, but I can't comment on that yet, as I'm at about 1750 miles.
Thanks. Another silly question.

In the driver information display, what are the numbers above the "D" and what are the numbers above the temp reading? This wasn't clear in the manual.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You MAY get between 18 and 19 mpg in town depending how heavy your foot is. If you are lucky and drive below 75-80 mph on the highway , expect to get 24mpg. I am now on my 3rd B8 s4. Some do claim to get better mileage but I have not seen it. I'm 64 yrs old so you can pretty much suspect that I am not tearing up the roads. FYI, if you bought this performance car and expected to get great gas mileage, you made a mistake. This car begs to be driven agressively. And when you drive it that way, gas mileage suffers big time. You will get really bad gas mileage doing that.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get the same engine surge, now I'd know what it was if I knew what ABS was. Anti Lock Brake System? I've seen as much as 21.5 around down if you keep a very light foot. I recently did a 1200 mile road trip, Expressways up to 78mph, surface roads and then some local driving. Was also stuck in stop and go traffic for 2.5 hours. 27.5 mpg. You'll see that all the time if you stay about 55-65 mph, but who does that? I have a 2014 S4 with APR Stage II.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AForePlayin'03

Ha, i'm lucky to get 200 miles a tank!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't speak to the pulse, I have a 6-speed. On mpg however, it's my experience to see a increase in mpg. I drive highways/freeway most of the time, I'm seeing 27mpg highway, 28mpg surface street....around 24mpg mixed (based on the onboard computer). I see about a 1mpg less when I hand calculate.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a a couple of similar posts regarding the pulse you feel on the gas pedal after starting:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...initialization

I find it a bizarre coincidence that I too, had the exact same question/concern/post 11 years ago:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2301208

And yes, I understand that ABS can be an acronym for many things, but in this case, it's Anti Lock Brake System, so you are correct Sky Wagon.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got 28 mpg on our trip to Sedona from Aspen and back according to the car's computer. Not driving slow. 6 spd manual.

4300 miles...almost due for the 5k service.

Best
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuelly.com is a good resource to look up real-world mileage from users reporting figures from miles driven and gallons pumped in.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/s4

In any powerful car with good published fuel efficiency numbers, your own mileage will depend on how you drive the car. I'm stating the obvious, but it seems folks forget: Exploiting the power of the motor requires fuel. If you drive like Grandma you can get close (or even exceed) the EPA numbers, but most people who buy more powerful cars tend to want to use the power, so the mileage plummets.

You can learn a lot about your habits by watching the instantaneous fuel efficiency on your dash display. Just moderate acceleration from a stop results in single digit MPG, even on my Q5 TDI. But once you're only using enough power to maintain speed (cruising) the MPG will shoot way up.

Quick Reply: Picked up my S4 - now a few questions