S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Question about our keyfob and push button start mechanism

Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about our keyfob and push button start mechanism

I had an interesting and somewhat concerning experience the other day with my key. Now based on previous experience, including other vehicles of different makes that have keyless entry and push button start. Every once in a great while I forget my key and sometimes have it in my bag or somewhere other than my pocket. As far as I can remember, I have never been able to place my bag/backpack in my trunk with the key inside of it without it alarming me to that fact when I attempt to close the trunk. In other words, I had not been able to attempt to drive my car under those circumstances. I would then realize the dummy I am and grab the key from my bag and drive as normal.

It occurred to me the other day I did in fact forget the key in my bag and subsequently placed it in my trunk. I was not alerted to the fact and was able to drive my car without issue. After arriving home I realized that I had in fact forgotten the key in my trunk and thought it was strange that I was able to drive the car under those circumstances. Shouldn't it prevent me from closing the trunk with the key in there? I know with my previous Infiniti I definitely could not do that. I wasn't even able to close the trunk if my key was inside. Nice safety net if you ask me.

I guess I don't like the idea of being able to drive the S4 without a key in my pocket nor anywhere else inside the cabin of the car. Does anyone else have an experience like this? Just curious. It just seems rather unsafe when considering someone could actually jack me and take my car w/o even having possession of the key. Of course the would-be perp wouldn't actually know the key was in the trunk but just saying.....
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone? Am I the only one with this experience? Hmmm.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my FOB in my bag once... placed bag in trunk and tried to close, trunk lid popped back up which is how it's supposed to work. I believe it's covered in the manual. Not sure why yours wasn't detected but I had that happen to me on my last car (G37S) which had the same type of FOB/functionality.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you have a keyless ignition. Not all S4s do. If so, as long as the key is in or around the car it will start and run. I don't think it matters if it is the trunk or not as long as it recieves the proper signal.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 PM

I think that if the car doors are already locked, and you put the fob in the trunk and try to close it, it will pop back open. However, if the doors are unlocked and you put the fob in the trunk, the trunk will close normally. At that point though, I think the touch pads on the door handles will not be able to lock the doors (in the same way they will if the fob is outside the car in your pocket).
Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my car it doesn't matter if the doors are locked or not, I can't lock the key in my trunk. It always pops back open. the only way that you could possibly lock the key in the truck is if your battery is weak.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2014 Avant here. I had keys in pocket of coat which i dropped in luggage area and the tailgate closed (I did not try to lock the car), and was able to drive off. I even went through that "OMG where are my keys?" moment until i realised that they must be somewhere close if i had just driven 30km!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another question, tangential to this topic. If you are driving along and somebody (for that read precocious 16 year old daughter) decides to push the on/off button to punctuate her sentence, what does the car do?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would think in would shut off, you would want that to happen in an emergency such as a stuck gas pedal. try it in your driveway.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car does shut off...at least on my car...never tried to do it when the clutch was engaged, but I have shut the car off and coasted to a stop.

oh on a side note...I tried to lock my key in the trunk today. With the car unlocked and the key in the trunk...the trunk closed, but the car did not lock when I touched the handle. I didn't try to open the door and hit the lock button on the door...might have to see what happens if I do that. Of course I will have the physical key or valet key in my hand.

Last edited by ob_1jr; 08-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about our keyfob and push button start mechanism