S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rear side airbags safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear side airbags safe?

I am considering purchasing a S$ with the rear side airbags. Are there any safety issues with them? Can they be switched off?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you worried because you may have child seats in those locations?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, sometimes I may put the grandkids in the back-seat
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AgisA
I am considering purchasing a S$ with the rear side airbags. Are there any safety issues with them? Can they be switched off?
My S4 was ordered with the optional rear side airbags.

My understanding is that these airbags increase the risk of injury for children or adults who are leaning/sleeping on the airbag panels, or are unbelted or not in child seat. This is true of any airbag.

There is no switch to turn them off. However, there may be a fuse that can be pulled…never looked on my car or in the manual.

My conclusion was the airbags were a net safety improvement and worth the $350.00. I frequently have both adults and kids in the back, and make sure they use seat belts (car seats when appropriate), and they don't sleep on the door panels.

Hope I never have to find out, but having them there made me feel better.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I considered the rear side airbags when I was shopping for my 2014, but decided against it. I have two kids who ride in boosters in the back seat, and it's pretty clear that the location of those airbags presents a significant risk of injury to kids riding in the back seat, whether or not they're buckled in. Even the dealership sales guy advised against it when I was discussing possible options.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006
I considered the rear side airbags when I was shopping for my 2014, but decided against it. I have two kids who ride in boosters in the back seat, and it's pretty clear that the location of those airbags presents a significant risk of injury to kids riding in the back seat, whether or not they're buckled in. Even the dealership sales guy advised against it when I was discussing possible options.
+1, I decided against them for the same reason. And was also cautioned against them by the dealer too.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

0.0 injuries since 2009. If there was even the most mild threat of an injury, especially in this sensitive climate, there would be a recall. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006
I considered the rear side airbags when I was shopping for my 2014, but decided against it. I have two kids who ride in boosters in the back seat, and it's pretty clear that the location of those airbags presents a significant risk of injury to kids riding in the back seat, whether or not they're buckled in.
A) Why would they not be buckled in??

B) The side airbags do not deploy inward from the trim panel like a front airbag does. They are cushion bags, similar to the curtain/roof airbags. They are thinner and often deploy forward laterally along the axis of the car.

Ever read the warnings on the front airbags and children? Ever see one about the side airbags?

It's pretty clear that your child bouncing off the inner trim, pillar, and glass in a side impact is much more likely to cause serious injury than an airbag designed for a specific type of deployment.

I wouldn't wring my hands in worry that a car without side bags is dangerous, but I surely would not go out of my way to get a car without them either.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

A few other thoughts and additional information…

Unlike front airbags which are mandated, new cars are not required to have any side airbags. The government doesn't have any specific specs/requirements for them so manufacturers have much more latitude in the design and operation.

When side airbags first came out, there were no industry standards. Since then, guidelines and test procedures have been set up. Audi complies with the voluntary TWG guidelines for side airbags, which includes testing with unrestrained adults and children.

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/...pdf/811360.pdf

Similar to the first front airbags, the perception with side airbags seems to me to be based on the first models that incorporated the then new technology. The designs are much more refined now.

Car dealers and salespeople say a lot of things. My experience has been they are not a great source of accurate technical information.

NHTSA and Transport Canada have both done studies which are available online. Their conclusions were that side airbags improve safety and do not pose an increased risk for properly restrained adults and children.