S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4, A6, 335i, Lexus...Reliability etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You literally read my mind. Sleepers are always more fun.
Originally Posted by Timmay
That's one of the things I actually like about it!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah and some people are surprised by how quick the odd "A4" (aka S4) blows them into the weeds. LOL.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Driving the Avant is a beauty for that....some people in Boxster Ss find it a bit invidious to be caught out by a wagon.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

My '13 S4 is my first Audi and truth be told, reliability and durability was also my concern. I've racked up 33,xxx miles and have had one unscheduled dealership visit - leaky water pump. I saw an 2mpg jump upwards around 30k miles, now regularly seeing 25mpg (according to the onboard computer).
Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4wdFan
I had reliability concerns before buying my 13 S4 because my 01 S4 had too many problems. Looks like after some initial waterpump and diff leak issues got resolved, B8 platform reliability is good for a German car. I had no issues except a couple minor ones on delivery and a funny-feeling MT which Audi claims is normal.

I think Lexus will be most reliable out of the cars you consider, but in my opinion it is not as much fun to drive as S4 or 335i.

That makes sense. I think the Audis of the late 90's/early 2k's are not the same deal as they are right now reliability wise. Audi wouldn't have made it so far in the market if things had not improved in that aspect.

I drove my 2010 S4 very hard everyday and it never complained (only brought it in for scheduled maintenance).
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove Lexus from 1994-2010 and had an ES, GS and LS. My wife also had an RX during that time. I can say without question, regardless of what JD Power says, their quality is jot what is once was, nor is their customer service (at least as recently as 2010). My last Lexus, a 2008 LS-460 was the worst car I ever had quality-wise and nothing like the 1998 GS I drove for 10 years. The LS had problems with engine hesitation, paint, brakes, speakers... Even the seat belts wore out (twice). The final straw was a recall that required an engine removal to replace an internal part. Ironically, I decided in the LS because it was supposed to be the most reliable car on the planet and I planned to drive it 8-10 years. I ended up driving it 2.5 years due to the problems and terrible customer service from Lexus.

I decided to try Audi when my wife wanted a Q5. I traded in the LS towards her Q5 and figured I'd drive her 12 year old RX while I figured out what I wanted to do. That plan lasted about 2 weeks when I couldn't stand it LOL. I decided to try an Audi of my own and leased a 2011 (C6) A6. While I didn't drive it long - 37k miles in 19 mos - I traded in for my S4 following a hit and run accident, I found it to be the highest quality car I've ever owned. I didn't have a single issue with it - nothing at all. No repairs, no noises, no smells, no leaks - nothing close to an issue. It was a great car.

I'm coming up on 2 years with the S4 and am right under 30K miles. While I've had a few minor issues (all covered under warranty), I have had no major issues, no oil consumption, no rattles, etc., at least not yet. I extended the warranty to 125K miles and plan to hang onto it. The S4 is by far the most fun to drive.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 with 55k miles and I have had it since 12K miles. Only issue was a thermostat that went under warranty. Quick half day at the dealer and no problems since. I did have a squeaky sunroof when it opened but dealer greased it and its gone. I read a great article about how we may be weighing reliability on cars too heavily in our decision making on what to drive. Check out this article and it may help you make your decision
http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by B8blacks4
I have a 2010 with 55k miles and I have had it since 12K miles. Only issue was a thermostat that went under warranty. Quick half day at the dealer and no problems since. I did have a squeaky sunroof when it opened but dealer greased it and its gone. I read a great article about how we may be weighing reliability on cars too heavily in our decision making on what to drive. Check out this article and it may help you make your decision
http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm
Funny you post this, I spent the weekend comparing total cost to own on about a dozen vehicles. This gives me another data point, thank you!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Funny you post this, I spent the weekend comparing total cost to own on about a dozen vehicles. This gives me another data point, thank you!
I may be late to the game, but here's my $0.02.:

Cars in this price class aren't solely about transportation - they're about what you LIKE, and how they make you feel. Otherwise, we'd all be driving Corollas, Civic or Priuses (Prii?)

The B8/8.5 S4 is an outstanding automobile by almost any measure - Car and Driver called it "...simply one of the best sports sedans ever made..."

Now, whether it fits your needs best is a question only you can answer.

Is it reliable? My 2011 has 77K+ miles, and has been to the dealer for one unscheduled repair - an errant rock pierced the intercooler. I have ZERO squeaks and rattles, and the only sign of wear in the interior is a slightly-worn driver's seat side bolster.

Is it as/more reliable than a Lexus? Has been so far, but to me, that misses the point, because most Lexi are "the best Buicks ever made", and I don't like Buicks. The new IS seems a pretty good overall package, but wouldn't see which way an S4 went on a twisty road. If that type of performance isn't important to you, then maybe an IS (or GS) is for you.

I prefer the way Audis drive - what do YOU prefer?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
I may be late to the game, but here's my $0.02.:

Cars in this price class aren't solely about transportation - they're about what you LIKE, and how they make you feel. Otherwise, we'd all be driving Corollas, Civic or Priuses (Prii?)

The B8/8.5 S4 is an outstanding automobile by almost any measure - Car and Driver called it "...simply one of the best sports sedans ever made..."

Now, whether it fits your needs best is a question only you can answer.

Is it reliable? My 2011 has 77K+ miles, and has been to the dealer for one unscheduled repair - an errant rock pierced the intercooler. I have ZERO squeaks and rattles, and the only sign of wear in the interior is a slightly-worn driver's seat side bolster.

Is it as/more reliable than a Lexus? Has been so far, but to me, that misses the point, because most Lexi are "the best Buicks ever made", and I don't like Buicks. The new IS seems a pretty good overall package, but wouldn't see which way an S4 went on a twisty road. If that type of performance isn't important to you, then maybe an IS (or GS) is for you.

I prefer the way Audis drive - what do YOU prefer?
Well spoken...there is nothing left to add! :-)

I agree...5 Audi's and none of them let me down or sent me to the dealer for an unscheduled repair and that's all there is.

Quick Reply: S4, A6, 335i, Lexus...Reliability etc...