S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

s4 makes the list fastest car under $50K

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
@markN1689 et al:

There is a lot to like about the S3. There is a whole lot to like about the S3 if you've not driven an S4. The pricing of the S3 does seem, if you go to a dealer that has both S3's and S4's on the showroom floor, difficult to justify -- again if you've driven (or own, especially) a B8 S4 post 2012, for instance.

I found the S3 to be a bit quicker than the S4 (both cars are equally fast) -- or it felt that way, perhaps -- at the slow speeds. But the S4 with the DSG in "S" mode, does seem to be able to get things done in a more sorted, I would say "better" fashion; the S4 is noticably smoother and, yes, does things with a feeling that it does have more urge, than the S3. This may be a function of the extra gear, I dunno.

The S3 seemed to dart -- perhaps it seems to "flinch" when the wheel is turned. That reaction certainly is indicative of some level of responsiveness, but I did find the S4, even when set to dynamic mode, to be responsive without flinching.

The S3 felt light -- and that is a good thing. But when you close (er, slam) the doors on the S3 (vs the S4), the sound is slightly tinny, evoking some sense that I can only say reminds me of my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance: flimsy. Please note -- I am not saying the S3 is flimsy. It does "sound" decidedly less solid than the S4 when the doors are slammed however.

For short trips, the S3 was a blast to drive -- but on the frost-heaved Interstate highways we have here in SW Ohio, any speed less than 80 was choppy, harsh almost. In contrast the S4 at 70 over the same surface just feels solid and "firm."

The S4 at any speed under 100 (I couldn't get the real estate to get the S3 over 100 on our crowded Interstates here in Cincinnati) is quieter, one could almost call the S4 luxurious, smooth, supple, etc. The S4 feels like a premium car from just about any perspective I can think of -- while the S3 seems like every surface that you can touch is a bit thinner, hinting at being brittle, in fact.

The thing is, I do like the S3, but it almost seems like it should have been brought out first (in its present iteration) under the VW logo, rather than under the four-rings.

I took a second drive in a *****-to-the-wall equipped version of an S3 and found a drive around the interstate surrounding Cincinnati (I-275) to be almost punishing -- especially at any speeds under 80. The S3 is a modern day buck-board when equipped with the largest wheels/tires (in summer config) and with the Audi-Drive-Select set to Dynamic.

Yes it is a very high-end go-kart. And, to me, a very high-priced one at that.

My 2014 S4 has its faults -- and it was $57K+, nearly $7K more than the S3, that is -- but the S3 needs to go to finishing school to shed some of its harsher edges. Hell, it can even keep some of the "boy-racer" characteristics, since I am of the opinion that I don't want the S3 to be a substitute for an S4, anymore than I want the S4 to be a substitute for an S6.

The S3 may be -- in fact the statistics seem to say that it is -- quicker than an S4 (not faster, quicker), but I am not looking for Audi to produce a WRX or WRX STI (not that there is anything wrong with those Subaru models). I am looking for Audi to produce and market Premium and even perhaps Super-Premium Luxury Performance cars.

In some respects the S3 doesn't represent that ideal as much as the marketing materials proclaim.

If you have an S3 and love it -- I congratulate you and do understand how you could be justified in feeling that way.

This long-time Audi maven, however, thinks the S3 should be sent, IMMEDIATELY, to finishing school or that the price should be cut about 15%. Being quicker than an S4 just isn't enough.
When we bought our 2014 the S3 wasnt an option. My wife will only drive a stick (she learned on a stick and believes that driving anything but a stick in the mountains is not really driving). In fact, she loves the car so much, l had to give her the keys and l cant keep her out of it.

The S4 was supposed to be my winter daily driver. So l got a 2015 RS5. Still no S3 at that point. Life is good!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
although the s3 looks like a smaller s4, they are completely different driving cars. I still can't decide which one I like more, but given my s3 is slower than my stage-2 s4, and less luxurious, I think that says a lot for the s3. IMO its better looking than the s4 and much more light and nimble, I think these help elevate it in my mind. I do think its overpriced though, if they didn't cut all the corner that they did, then maybe it would justify the price.
Wait for the new B9's -- and hope that the S3 has been or is being sent back to finishing school. Then, if the S3 has been brought up to Audi Premium specs, you will have a more, shall we say, challenging decision to make.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap this is so damn funny.
hell id be trying to justify the s4 too if i threw down 60k
Old 11-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The thing is, I do like the S3, but it almost seems like it should have been brought out first (in its present iteration) under the VW logo, rather than under the four-rings.
I definitely think they made a mistake by not offering this as a Jetta R. As well as the sedans sell for VW compared to the hatchbacks, it always was surprising to me they didn't offer one. Obviously it would have less features and be more VW style maybe using the Golf R seats etc, but I think it really would have been a good seller for VW. I guess they want to push people to Audi if you want AWD and a sedan.

Looking at the S3, I am having a tough time pulling the trigger on the S3 over a Golf R, but I wish the S3 stock seats even were an upgrade option on the Golf R. I made the mistake of test driving a used 2014 S4 tonight and now I am wondering if I should jump up to the S4. I need to drive it back to back with the S3 though.

The headroom was definitely better which was my biggest gripe with the S3. Overall I think the S4 is more than I need, but tempting. Of course I am also doing the price creep which isn't good. I started looking at the Golf R, and then the S3/M235i and now the S4. I would have to go used on a S4 though.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The platform that spawned the S3 has many tempting treats...

… including the TTs and the Golf R. My wife, who is 5'2" is also a passionate canyon carver who is now driving an S4 (see below). She fits well in an S3, but loved her previous R32 and is really tempted but the new Golf R. It has more room that the S3 and is quite practical at hauling stuff when we are not storming the canyons (which is after all, the other five days of the week). In my opinion, the S3 is a brilliant response to the market demands that have driven MB and BMW to come out with small sedans. The trouble is that a manufacturer doesn't save much money by building a smaller car - it still has most of the technology and other bits.

Buying smaller is a situational decision and preference, not tightly linked to saving lot's of money. Its a little like building a house - the cost is in the corners, doors and windows - the space in between doesn't cost much. The analogous auto industry example is the near death of the midsize pickup truck as they are only marginally cheaper to build than a full size version. Having owned four "Tacos" in the past because they handle so well off road and can get down narrower trails, I became despondent over the lack of innovation in the small trucks compared to their full size brethren. GM's new small fleet has injected a bit more competition, but it is still a far cry from the heated battles in the full size truck world. Driving them is a bit of a Flintstone throwback. The new 2016 "redesigned" Tacoma's still use drum brakes in the rear - Toyota claims better off-roadability. Please, have you ever tried to get drum brakes to drain after a water crossing...

The S3 will surely get even better in the future.

Eric
Attached Images  

Last edited by eric strauss; 11-19-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
holy crap this is so damn funny.
hell id be trying to justify the s4 too if i threw down 60k
Sure, you can use the argument that a fully loaded S3 is the same price as an entry-level S4 but few would argue against an S4 being a much better car, all around, than an S3. The Haldex "AWD" would have me buying an S4 over an S3 time and time again. Haldex is basically a FWD setup except under extreme conditions, whereas the S4 has permanent AWD. The S3, on paper, might be quicker, but the S4 is much faster. With an S3, youre stuck with an inline-4. S4 gets the V6 with the *amazing* throttle response coming from a supercharged setup. If you want cheap S-series performance, sure, get the S3. If you want more car, more performance, get the S4.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Monsoonenough
Sure, you can use the argument that a fully loaded S3 is the same price as an entry-level S4 but few would argue against an S4 being a much better car, all around, than an S3. The Haldex "AWD" would have me buying an S4 over an S3 time and time again. Haldex is basically a FWD setup except under extreme conditions, whereas the S4 has permanent AWD. The S3, on paper, might be quicker, but the S4 is much faster. With an S3, youre stuck with an inline-4. S4 gets the V6 with the *amazing* throttle response coming from a supercharged setup. If you want cheap S-series performance, sure, get the S3. If you want more car, more performance, get the S4.
s4's a pig now.

s3 is the new b5 s4 (the real deal s4)
Old 11-16-2015, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Holy crap Hell this is so damn funny if I threw down nearly $50K for a warmed over VW with a plastic interior... If you can't afford an S4, don't dis those of us who can.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sfg57
Holy crap Hell this is so damn funny if I threw down nearly $50K for a warmed over VW with a plastic interior... If you can't afford an S4, don't dis those of us who can.
we have the same plastic fool

you just get the nappa seat that crease super easy. wow. came from a b7 s4 6speed bought new in 2007. and i had one of the first new s4s in 1999.

try harder. yawn
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by markN1689
we have the same plastic fool

you just get the nappa seat that crease super easy. wow. came from a b7 s4 6speed bought new in 2007. and i had one of the first new s4s in 1999.

try harder. yawn
Definition of a fool is someone who makes a purchase and goes out of his way to tell everyone why his purchase is better than theirs. Mark, go to the S3 forum and enjoy talking about how you and the other boy racers are beating other cars street racing. ooooooooh

Quick Reply: s4 makes the list fastest car under $50K