S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prioritized the Nav and Advance Keyless option. Since the wife was Ok doing the Alcantara w/o the Nappa Leather, I pulled the trigger on the Rear sports differential. I thought this was something important since I like driving in twisty mountain roads and have a cabin up in the mountains, and I ranked it a more important option for me than Bang Olufsen.
I agree that if you drive straight most of the time without going thru a lot of curvy roads, you may not need it.

Thanks to all of your discussion. Again, this forum is very valuable in helping me choose my S4.

-------
Incoming: 2012 Audi S4 Monsoon Gray, Black on Black, S-Tronic, Nav, Adv. Key, Rear Sports Differential. ETA: End of September / First week of October.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayap
Thanks to all of your discussion. Again, this forum is very valuable in helping me choose my S4.

Incoming: 2012 Audi S4 Monsoon Gray, Black on Black, S-Tronic, Nav, Adv. Key, Rear Sports Differential. ETA: End of September / First week of October.
Happy we could help!
I'd ordered a 2010 A4, myself, but didn't like what was delivered. After driving three other A4s on the lot, I just couldn't find one I wanted.

The senior sales guy, Joe, told me to drive the S4 I now own "just for the heck of it." I hesitated because it was more than I wanted to spend. When I finally relented and drove it around the block, I knew I just had to have it - mainly because of the visceral feel of the supercharged six, s-tronic, and the sports diff working together. But, I was literally cursing Joe's name when I returned because I knew it meant a big car payment. However, it's been a good choice for me as I still love this car over a year and a half later!!!

Last edited by drrick89; 07-31-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drrick89
Happy we could help!
I was literally cursing Joe's name when I returned because I knew it meant a big car payment. However, it's been a good choice for me as I still love this car over a year and a half later!!!
With my trade-in plus some cash, I'm putting a 60% downpayment and loan 40% so my monthly payment will come out to $299/month for 72 months, which I think I will pay off in the 36th month Lol. I just hate big monthly payments.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SD on my S4 and I drive it 5-6 times a year on the Nurnburgring. I can confirm that in daily driving situations the SD is not needed/felt.

On the ring,on the other hand, you can really feel it kick in when you get understeer! I love it! It is like riding on rails!

Once I had a bad oversteer situation going on because of a "lift" on the track. I do not know for sure what saved the day but I got the car back under control... Maybe alse thanks to the sport diff...
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BartJanssen
I drive it 5-6 times a year on the Nurnburgring.
jealous!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love the rear diff, drives awesome up in the tight corners up in the mountains and the fast curves. You can most certainly tell the difference with between Comfort and Advanced on the fast sweepers on i70 in Colorado. Was up in Breck this weekend and was having a great time hustling the car up and down the mountain passes yesterday morning. Car is just that much more planted with upgraded diff.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was first corrupted by eLSD on the Turbo X, Haldex's version of SD, that is after i drove for years R32 (1st gen Haldex), and S60R (2nd gen) both without it.

I knew from the insane fun i had with it that the $1000 extra would be a must, and sure enough it proved itself.

The sensation is like some giant grabbing the rear end of your car in a fast turn and moving it over, a bit like the active rear steering in a Mitsubishi 3000GT.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreaddontdie
jealous!
SD in action

Because I'm a ring enthousiast, the SD was a must-have-option on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How fast do you eat through tires on a trip to the ring?b
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IvanS4
How fast do you eat through tires on a trip to the ring?b
The ring itself is quite hard on the tires, I admit

But I think you can preserve your tires/brakes somewhat if you know the track and especially if you don't think you are a rally driver

I do about 22.000 miles with one set of tires, with the NBR abuse included ( side note : daily I do a lot of highways)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?