S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt get SD and very much regret it!

Just kidding, I have it and am having the time of my life
Old 05-14-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has got to be the pompous post which is probably why it has so many replies. Why all the hate against members driving an S4 w/o SD? Perhaps the poster should also ask on the S3 forums to see if they are having fun with their cars. Yes we've seen all the arguments why SD is better on a track with lots of technical talk and generally no one argues. Even though there isn't a single legit comparision of actual track time improvements with and w/o SD for us to quantify. Given there is absolutly no understeer even w/o SD, S4 with a set of decent performance tires provide lots of smiles.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had an A5 S-Line without and now have the S4 with. Going fast around a tight corner, you can feel the difference in the way the rear end comes around. The A5 was no slouch at all, but the S4 seems to track a bit tighter.

That said, I wouldn't lose sleep over the difference. If you see a nice S4 for a good price without, I wouldn't hold out.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

At my advanced age and more moderate driving style, I would say no; however, if I had the car in my younger days I would probably say yes.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got it with the sports differential on purpose.

This is my first S4.

I don't know if I would miss it if I didn't have it. But I'm glad I have it because I frequently drive hard.

However, cannot imagine any S4 owner lacking fun because of no SD. It's a matter of degree. Only driving both could I know the difference.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I bought it as everyone said to get it, no regrets

Originally Posted by Emwonk
I got it with the sports differential on purpose.

This is my first S4.

I don't know if I would miss it if I didn't have it. But I'm glad I have it because I frequently drive hard.

However, cannot imagine any S4 owner lacking fun because of no SD. It's a matter of degree. Only driving both could I know the difference.
It was an ordered car, so I ordered it as I wished, I drove dealer demo, it had it. For $1010 I did no want to have any regrets and the car handles like it is on rails .
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One of the first posts in the thread said the car magazine review reported the S4 minus the sport differential was on par with the 335, therefore it must be good enough without the differential upgrade.

The 335 coupe I owned was no stellar handling performer.

The article said: "The revelation was how similarly the S4 handled. We hammered down lumpy, narrow New York two-lanes with quick curves, sudden dips, and sharp crests. Through it all, the Audi reacted just as quickly....."

The other way to interpret the article: if the two cars were similar absent a sport differential in the Audi, having that option would make the S4 BETTER.

I like "better" more than "equal." Especially when spending this much on a car.

2009 BMW 335i vs 2010 Audi S4 - Luxury Sport Sedan Comparison - Automobile Magazine

Last edited by Emwonk; 05-17-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Give me liberty, or give me death, but don't take away my sport differential!"
- Patrick Henry
Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motorsport_mike
"Give me liberty, or give me death, but don't take away my sport differential!"
- Patrick Henry

"The trouble with information from the Internet is it is difficult to verify its veracity." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Guys, I suspect in a head-to-head, only when pushing the car to an extreme (extreme being subjective) would the difference be noticeable.

However, when selling the car, it would likely make the car move better.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The only reason I regretted not getting the sports differential is the people who have it brag so hard it makes me feel like I'm totally missing out and the S4 just sucks w/out. Like the phrase "Must Have" sounds like if you don't get SD just sell as fast as you can. Really? Tell that to the RS drivers without DS. I think anyone here who has a SD raced Ken Block in an S4 B8 w/out SD, I would think he would win big. You could still get a Quaife ATB Limited Slip Differential later anyway.

I'm picking up my used 2015 "non-SD" car this weekend with no regrets. It has literally everything minus SD and adaptive dampening. Being used with only 11,000 miles and $17,000 off the sticker is great. Very excited! Just enjoy what you have. That goes for anything in life.

Quick Reply: S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?