S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 ownership without any drama?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 ownership without any drama?

I finally sold my truck.I will have about $36-38K to spend on a 2012 CPO S4.From what little browsing I have done there appears to be several cpo cars with less than 40,000 miles within reasonable distance from me.Ideally,I would like to keep the car beyond the warranty period.I would expect to have some normal maintenance costs but do I need to worry about any major components such as dsg or sport diff failing.The car will be used as a commuter with either wife driving less than 10 miles daily or myself driving a total of less than 60 miles daily (mostly interstate with cruise control).My other alternative would be a 2013 Allroad with 2.0T.BTW,the wife's A4 has been out of warranty for 2 years and has been relatively bulletproof.I value any opinions of my fellow forum members.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my '13 S4 for two years and 35k miles. Soon after delivery I noticed some dampness in the front floorboards. Seems that the drain plugs were installed incorrectly and they were replaced. Since then, not one issue with the car.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 40K miles on my 2013 S4. No drama thus far. However, I did extend the warranty to earlier of Feb. 2019 or just under 125K miles. No interest in dealing with the cost of a DSG repair or replacement down the road and, like all cars, one has to expect more things to go wrong as miles add up and the car ages. A car like an S4 (or any German sports sedan) can bring extraordinary repair costs when it happens.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
I have 40K miles on my 2013 S4. No drama thus far. However, I did extend the warranty to earlier of Feb. 2019 or just under 125K miles. No interest in dealing with the cost of a DSG repair or replacement down the road and, like all cars, one has to expect more things to go wrong as miles add up and the car ages. A car like an S4 (or any German sports sedan) can bring extraordinary repair costs when it happens.
Extended warranty via Audi or aftermarket?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and an Audi dealer at that. I think there was a post about someone who purchased a used Audi (not sure if it was cpo) but he had some issues and found out later that the car had indeed been tuned. This caused some problems when he had some dsg issues.
I have 40K on my 11 S4 and it's only been in the shop for a water pump that was done on a recall. I have had a few computer glitches with the backup camera and MMI that seemed to resolve on its own.
Good luck.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am now on my 3rd B8 S4. My 2010 had the water pump issue, which they all did. I also had road debris puncture the IC radiator which is common. Since then, I put in a DIY screen protector on that car and both my subsequent cars. Had 30 k on the 2010 when I traded it for a 2014. Had that for 5k with no issues at all. Now driving a pre owned 2011 with 55k miles(6K since last May). No problems so far. Might need to have the PCV valve replaced since the car is using a little oil, but not a big deal. Cars have been fairly trouble free. But those that do have issues are more likely to post about them on the forums. And when something does fail or go wrong, and it will, it is often expensive to repair if out of warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my 2011. I would not want to own ANY German car without a warranty.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vtsquid
Extended warranty via Audi or aftermarket?
Audi does not underwrite any extended warranties except for CPO. I have an "Audi branded" warranty underwritten by Fidelilty. It is the same exact warranty sold by two local (any many other) Audi dealers but I bought it for about 60% of their quoted prices from FD Warranty. When shopping for extended warranties it is important to understand how they are structured and what is included / excluded from coverage, as well as reputation and viability of the companies underwriting them. Zurich is another name I've read in the forums that seems to have a good reputation.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've got a 2011 S4 with the DSG and about 32K miles. The one major thing was the sport diff failing. I fortunately got it replaced just before the warranty expired. I was told the part cost was around $5k. I also have experienced some of the MMI/camera issues described above. It's annoying, but relatively harmless at the end of the day. I've been very happy with the car otherwise, and it makes a great commuter. It will definitely be different than the A4 you currently have, while the Allroad may be rather similar.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

55k+ miles here on my "13 S4 (Manual Trans)....water pump leak replaced under warranty. Other then squealing brakes, everything else has been problem free.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put 18k in the past 18 months on my 2011 DSG. Currently at 41k with zero issues so far. Factory warranty ending next month with 2 years/50k CPO kicking in after that. I plan on trading it in once CPO time frame ends, as I am with most others on the forum that don't want to own a high mileage Audi without warranty.

Quick Reply: S4 ownership without any drama?