S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 vs S3.... Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 vs S3.... Help

Hey guys! I'm looking at getting a new car! I've been looking at new and used s4's but a new one the way I want it is around 58000.. And while I can find nice used ones for 48-50,000 with low miles I am having a hard time finding one the way I want it... Which led me to the S3. I can buy a prestige s3 the way I want it for 48000. So now I'm torn if I should go new s3 the way I want it, Drop an extra 10,000 for the s4, or keep searching used s4 until something Im looking for pops up within a reasonable distance and throw some money into accessories to make it want I want it exactly. So confused. Any input will help.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in the same boat you are in. I much preferred the S4, but the way I wanted it put it near $60k, and for the price of a used S4 I could do a new S3 the way I wanted.

The two deciding factors, for me, in getting a used S4 over the new S3 was the AWD system and the interior space. I live in Alaska, and with how much snow we regularly get I didn't feel like screwing around with the S3's Haldex AWD. I get that plenty of people use it fine; but in snow and on ice I much prefer the consistency of the Torsen based AWD.

While the new A3/S3 isn't terribly smaller than the A4/S4, between my girlfriend and my daughter, who's already showing signs of being a tall girl (5'2" at 12 years) I would rather have the slightly larger interior dimensions and trunk space of the S4.

In the end the miles and used condition weren't as a big a detractor to me; I'm perfectly happy with zero buyers remorse.

Edit: I should say I didn't pull the trigger until I found a used S4 that hit my check-boxes which were the sports differential, nav, and keyless.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know how S3 sales prices are trending but you should be able to find an S4 for 6-10% below MSRP (maybe less for leftover 2014). If the S3 is selling at or near MSRP because it is a new model that would narrow the difference somewhat.

I think the S4 is (almost) a bargain for the car it is. Alternatively, close to $50K for an S3 seems a bit much and IMO a VW Golf R is probably a better comparison than an S4. Therefore, I'd say try to find a leftover new 2014 S4 close to your spec and negotiate hard for it. If you can't find one I'd go 2015 new and order to get exactly what you want if you can do so financially. Third choice would be to hunt around to find a used S4 in great shape close to your spec at a great price (often easier said than done).
Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My experience

Originally Posted by Fleece82
Hey guys! I'm looking at getting a new car! I've been looking at new and used s4's but a new one the way I want it is around 58000.. And while I can find nice used ones for 48-50,000 with low miles I am having a hard time finding one the way I want it... Which led me to the S3. I can buy a prestige s3 the way I want it for 48000. So now I'm torn if I should go new s3 the way I want it, Drop an extra 10,000 for the s4, or keep searching used s4 until something Im looking for pops up within a reasonable distance and throw some money into accessories to make it want I want it exactly. So confused. Any input will help.
Just went down the same road and came home with a '15 S4. For me, I preferred the S4 interior, AWD system and sport differential and just liked the way the 4 looked vs the 3. My decision was confirmed when I went to pick up my car and it was parked on the showroom floor next to a loaded S3. No contest in my book. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is a neat little car with a lot of get up and go, but I just don't think it is as nice. And while I don't typically have many passengers with me, the few times I've needed to take 3 passengers with me no one has complained about space or feeling claustrophobic in the back seat.

If it were me, I'd hold out and find a used S4 that fits the bill and your budget. Lots of CPO options out there, you might just have to buy a one-way ticket some where and drive it home. I've done that before as well (first Allroad I bought back in 2003).
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys!!! Sounds like s4 is def the way to go!! I've also been cross shopping the gla45 amg and bmw 335 and 435 x drive. But my tendency always brings me back to the s4!
Old 12-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys!!! Sounds like s4 is def the way to go!! I've also been cross shopping the gla45 amg and bmw 335 and 435 x drive. But my tendency always brings me back to the s4!
Almost all on this forum as well as most who have driven both will tell you that the S4 is a better car in most catagories. But if you are looking to lease, the BMWs will lease for significantly less.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A3 platform is designed to get people onto the brand from a Honda or Toyota, but you can really really feel the cost cutting compared to the A4 platform, it is a nice car, don't get me wrong and the vents are so nice, but otherwise the interior feels very cheap, it is very noisy and unrefined compared to the A4 platform and the trunk is crazy small compared to the A4. The s3 makes good power, but not as silky smooth as the S4, basically the S4 is 10 grand more because it is 10 grand better in everyway, that made me buy a used S4 also over a new S3.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AK_Brian
I was in the same boat you are in. I much preferred the S4, but the way I wanted it put it near $60k, and for the price of a used S4 I could do a new S3 the way I wanted.

The two deciding factors, for me, in getting a used S4 over the new S3 was the AWD system and the interior space. I live in Alaska, and with how much snow we regularly get I didn't feel like screwing around with the S3's Haldex AWD. I get that plenty of people use it fine; but in snow and on ice I much prefer the consistency of the Torsen based AWD.

While the new A3/S3 isn't terribly smaller than the A4/S4, between my girlfriend and my daughter, who's already showing signs of being a tall girl (5'2" at 12 years) I would rather have the slightly larger interior dimensions and trunk space of the S4.

In the end the miles and used condition weren't as a big a detractor to me; I'm perfectly happy with zero buyers remorse.

Edit: I should say I didn't pull the trigger until I found a used S4 that hit my check-boxes which were the sports differential, nav, and keyless.
You'd be crazy to not get a Macan S, or if you want to meet your budget an SQ5 or a Tiguan.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am a former BMW owner a 2000 528 fro 15 years and a 1984 325e for four years. After having a demo s4 stronic for a wek end, I road tested again a 436 ix. There was no comparison! additionally the display screen and the control for the I-drive in the BMW flat out sucked, screen is tacked on the top of the dash, the controls are not intuitive as in the s4. the driving experience wasjust not up to the level of the s4. Only good things going for the 435 xi,is the 4 years service including wear and tear, an maybe better lease rates.But who wants to lease a car that one does not really enjoy. I am also sure the quattro system with sport diff will be a better winter car
Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in the dealership last week, and spotted a pretty cool looking 2015 A3 there. I have a 2014 S4 and I was curious so I started checking the specs on it (and the S3 variant). I was pretty surprised that is was rated so quick for a 4-cylinder, which is cool. I didn't like the interior nearly as much as my S4 though. The TT-style that they have just doesn't do it for me, i guess.

I hope that the A3/S3 lines see more success in the USA though, they seem like good entry level competitors (where's the hybrid!?!). Upper end VW's also look pretty sweet on the road now as well, with the updated rears - not as much difference anymore from the Audi rears.

In the end... Still love my S4, but the S3 would look pretty amazing to me with an updated interior. (tons of personal preference in that one, i guess)

EDIT: As far as I know, the 2015 S3 has quattro AWD, which is really cool. It's even available on upgraded A3's, according to the USA website.

Last edited by gflare; 12-05-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: S4 vs S3.... Help