S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 vs S5 Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 vs S5 Dependability

Still trying to decide on which car to replace my truck.I have some time to research all my options since I have until spring to make up my mind.The car will be a daily driver with a total commute of roughly 70 mostly highway miles with cruise set at 70 mph.Fuel economy is not paramount but I would like to see 20-23 mpg.2 door (S5) vs. 4 door (S4) is of secondary importance since my only passenger back there will be my chocolate lab.The car's dependability will play a significant role in my decision since the thought of costly repairs make my ******* shrivel in fear.I will be looking at CPO cars for the most part and hope to keep the car beyond 100K miles.
Budget is approximately $30K which seems to put me in the 2010 or so model year range.

S4: 3.0L supercharged/7 speed automatic trans.
S5: 4.2L normally aspirated/6 speed automatic.

Your valued opinions/advice is greatly valued.Thanks,Andy.

Last edited by vtsquid; 01-14-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PLEASE do not get the S5! It is a certified GAS GUZZLER. You will not get near the gas mileage you are looking for. Plus the 4.2 V8 has inferior performance as compared to the 3.0 Sc S4. BTW, ALL B8 S5 Cabriolets will have the 3.0 SC engine as well as all 2013 and newer S5s. The 4 dr S4 will be much better if you are taking your Lab along in the back seat. I often drive with 2 Springer Spaniels sharing the passenger seat. BTW, I use color coordinated bath towels to cover the seats . When they get dirty, I wash them. Also you may want to stay away from cars with Alcantera interiors. The Leather is much easier to clean if you get dirt on them. Good lucK with your search. I would expect you to find more used S4s than S5s. It is great if you can find a Cpo'd car, but not likely on 2010 model. Don't let the fact that a car is not Certified deter you. You can get a really comprehensive Extended warranty that will cover you. Figure that it costs the dealer an extra $2000 to have a car Certified.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-14-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^Agreed.

CPO isn't so necessary if you just go out and get an extended warranty for as long as you believe you'll own it.

Just have to make sure that the warranty provider (if you don't get it from an Audi Dealer) will pay the repair costs up front rather than a reimbursement. I remember having a warranty like that on something else that made me pay up front and then reimbursed later.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Gentlemen for your advice.
I did call my local Credit Union and they offer insurance provided by "Route 66".I have never heard of this company before.Still waiting to hear back from somebody on a generic quote on a 2010 S4.I will post up the details as soon as I know.
I just naturally assume that when you take the car in for repairs the shop will contact the insurance provider with a quote which will need to be approved.You pay up front then submit claim for a refund.
If I end up with Alcantara (which would not be my first choice) I would most likely get a seat cover for the back seat.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Banned

Different Insurance companies handle claims differently. It is possible that you would not have to pay out of your pocket and get reimbursed. Had an extended warranty in the past(Warranty Gold)that went bankrupt for my 2010 TT coupe. Got $1200 of repair money out of them before they went under. Was more I paid for the warranty. But now have one with Fidelity which is what the Audi dealers push. Fortunately, I have not had to submit a claim yet.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fidelity seems to be the one that gets mentioned the most on the forums.I will find out which brand is endorsed by my local dealership (Audi South Burlington).I never got a call back from the Credit Union so I have nothing to compare as of yet.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vtsquid
Fidelity seems to be the one that gets mentioned the most on the forums.I will find out which brand is endorsed by my local dealership (Audi South Burlington).I never got a call back from the Credit Union so I have nothing to compare as of yet.
Others on the forums have mentioned Zurich as an alternative. I think most Audi dealers push Fidelity since it is a pretty good company.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can Troy at FD Warranty for Fidelity too. I got much better pricing from him than local dealers. I agree with DrGP on 3.0 vs. older 4.2.

DrGP nice dogs. I have 2 Cavaliers - plenty of room for them in the backseat.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
You can Troy at FD Warranty for Fidelity too. I got much better pricing from him than local dealers. I agree with DrGP on 3.0 vs. older 4.2.

DrGP nice dogs. I have 2 Cavaliers - plenty of room for them in the backseat.
Thanks Rick.Can you pm me with his contact info?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Google fd warranty

Originally Posted by vtsquid
Thanks Rick.Can you pm me with his contact info?
Thou will get his phone number at a car dealership in MA.

Quick Reply: S4 vs S5 Dependability