S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Seeking Advice - New S4 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Advice - New S4 Purchase

Hello All!

I am a noob member here and so happy to find such an amazing repository of information. As such, I am hoping that I don't make a noob mistake by asking you advice on the build I am going to have my local dealership put in on Friday.

Primarily, this will be a daily driver, autocross, canyon carver and annual track day car. I am a single-dad with a 5-year-old so I need the sedan...take her to school everyday.

This will not be a highly modified car (I think)...expect only to buy a nice set of light wheels and summer rubber (will use the stock 18s for winter) as well as MAYBE a tune of some sort. I'll research the mods later, right now I am asking for opinions on my build:

2015 Audi S4
  • Misano Red Pearl (I am in love with this color)
  • Black Leather/Alcantara Interior
  • Brushed Aluminum Trim
  • 18-inch standard wheels
  • Sport Differential (I have to have this)
  • Band & Olufsen Stereo
  • Rear Side Airbags

My questions are as follow and apologies for any stupid ones:
  1. The "High Gloss Black Package" includes 19" "Titanium" wheels...those aren't ACTUALLY TITANIUM wheels, right? Just color?
  2. Are any of the available wheels any good? For instance, are they pretty light compared to what I could get on the aftermarket at the same price point or lower?
  3. Is the active damping suspension superior to a nice set of aftermarket coilovers such as KW V3
  4. Is the Tech Package any good? For instance, is the navigation up to par with what I get on my phone? Are there any pieces that aren't listed that actually help performance as part of this package?

Any guidance any of you could share would surely be appreciated. I THANK YOU so much for your help...this will be my first-ever new car and a reward for getting through a rocky divorce as well as sparing my daughter from a less than ideal future.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some say you should not get rear airbags if a child will be in back seat, dealer can inform you about that. Tech pack is a must, I bought it for the rear camera,as rear viability is poor in the S4. Well worth it for that. Also you get side assist which is a great safety feature, it alerts you as car come into you blind spot on both sides of the car. Also you get hd radio, not a real biggy. But if you do not get tech package your controls to change settings on car are inconveniently on the dash, not on console around the gear shift. I have yet to use the nav, so I have no opinion about it. Most buy tech package for above reasons.not a fan of the alacantra sets,for the money you are spending on the car BUY with full leather,I have black with silver it really makes the interior look like a $50 k car. And should wear better. IMHO

Last edited by jyges; 12-24-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just bought a 2015 S4. Definitely yes on the sports differential. I suggest the tech package for the camera, controls and side assist. Now I have to upgrade my V1 radar detector because it picks up the constant radar signal from the side assist sensors. I skipped the B&O stereo. Just how loud do you want to play your music? The OEM stereo is plenty loud and clear for me. The damping system is nice. The car definitely handles differently in each setting although I keep it in dynamic mode all the time. I wanted the 19" wheels and black out. It makes the car look more sporty. And yes the wheels are aluminum and not titanium. Wheels are actually gray. You will get the Audi connect with the nav and tech package. Nice, but I never use connect and will have to pay fee after six months if I want to continue with the service. Car came with carbon fiber inlay option. I wouldn't of paid for it if I ordered the car but it really looks nice.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like the B&O for the money paid you get a very good audio system, but if you have to save that is one place to do it. BUT it is a great , car why not do it full boat?

Last edited by jyges; 12-24-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a fan of the B&O radio. Of the 3 b8 S4s that I have had, my 2010 did not have it and I have not been impressed with it in my other 2 . But that being said , it probably is worth the $800 premium if you are an audiophile, which I am not. It really needs additional bass which can easily be added. Wheels are painted titanium. And just so you know. If you order the car with 18" A/s tires for winter use, the car will come with a 130 mph speed limiter instead of the normal 155mph. The Nav is good enough and comes with a rear camera. BUT you only get 6 months of free support wich enables Google Earth feature. You will neeed to pay if you want to continue that feature. But the nav will work without it. BTW, my 2014 was Misano/black leather. 2010 was Brilliant red/black leather. The color difference was minimal.

Last edited by DrGP; 12-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

THANK YOU all for your thoughts!

Originally Posted by jyges
Some say you should not get rear airbags if a child will be in back seat, dealer can inform you about that. Tech pack is a must, I bought it for the rear camera,as rear viability is poor in the S4. Well worth it for that. Also you get side assist which is a great safety feature, it alerts you as car come into you blind spot on both sides of the car. Also you get hd radio, not a real biggy. But if you do not get tech package your controls to change settings on car are inconveniently on the dash, not on console around the gear shift. I have yet to use the nav, so I have no opinion about it. Most buy tech package for above reasons.not a fan of the alacantra sets,for the money you are spending on the car BUY with full leather,I have black with silver it really makes the interior look like a $50 k car. And should wear better. IMHO
I hadn't considered that the optional rear airbags would be dangerous for children...I'll check into that some more! It seems that none of the 3 on my local dealer's lot has it so maybe that is the reason.

Thanks for the knowledge on why to get the tech package! Yeah I didn't realize the visibility was poor during my test drive but that car had the tech package and I was using the screen more than the mirror. Also, I certainly would rather change settings through the big screen and not the dash.

I feel the Alcantara holds me in better especially having ridden in both leather and alcantara seated cars. But if the alcantara wears poorly then I will have to reconsider.

Originally Posted by djkyky
I just bought a 2015 S4. Definitely yes on the sports differential. I suggest the tech package for the camera, controls and side assist. Now I have to upgrade my V1 radar detector because it picks up the constant radar signal from the side assist sensors. I skipped the B&O stereo. Just how loud do you want to play your music? The OEM stereo is plenty loud and clear for me. The damping system is nice. The car definitely handles differently in each setting although I keep it in dynamic mode all the time. I wanted the 19" wheels and black out. It makes the car look more sporty. And yes the wheels are aluminum and not titanium. Wheels are actually gray. You will get the Audi connect with the nav and tech package. Nice, but I never use connect and will have to pay fee after six months if I want to continue with the service. Car came with carbon fiber inlay option. I wouldn't of paid for it if I ordered the car but it really looks nice.
Thanks for this...I think I will forego the ADS. I too would rarely change settings and it isn't like the S4 s equipped with the Magnetorhologic shocks that take more advantage of suspension adjustability settings.

Originally Posted by jyges
I like the B&O for the money paid you get a very good audio system, but if you have to save that is one place to do it. BUT it is a great , car why not do it full boat?
I think my main reason not to go full boat / ***** deep is that I don't want to pay for stuff that I won't use. I just bought another new car for my Mom to primarily use (Subaru Forester) and it is fully loaded...but I find that some of the things that came with the top-tier model are not so awesome like the nav system.

Originally Posted by DrGP
I am not a fan of the B&O radio. Of the 3 b8 S4s that I have had, my 2010 did not have it and I have not been impressed with it in my other 2 . But that being said , it probably is worth the $800 premium if you are an audiophile, which I am not. It really needs additional bass which can easily be added. Wheels are painted titanium. And just so you know. If you order the car with 18" A/s tires for winter use, the car will come with a 130 mph speed limiter instead of the normal 155mph. The Nav is good enough and comes with a rear camera. BUT you only get 6 months of free support wich enables Google Earth feature. You will neeed to pay if you want to continue that feature. But the nav will work without it. BTW, my 2014 was Misano/black leather. 2010 was Brilliant red/black leather. The color difference was minimal.
Interesting to read about the lower speed limiter on the 18s with A/S and the subscription for Google Earth. I will have to look into that.

I am highly encouraged to get the B&O...I listened to one S4 with it and one without it. The B&O is just far better than what I could have installed at the same price point. Would probably upgrade the sub though.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bpang1
I hadn't considered that the optional rear airbags would be dangerous for children...I'll check into that some more! It seems that none of the 3 on my local dealer's lot has it so maybe that is the reason.
Side airbags are NOT dangerous for kids or anyone else. Side airbags save lives and prevent major injuries, these internet rumors and mussings of people who have no idea how the systems even work is just sad. If you are factory ordering the car....get them installed, cheap option and well worth it if you ever have to use them.

The B&O.....had it in my '14 Q5....have it in the new S4.......truthfully, can't really tell a major difference between them and the system in the GTI. The surround probably focuses the levels better just like a surround in your home theater.....but clarity, sound quality? Unless your an audiophile and ****.....you probably won't be able to tell.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thumper3
Side airbags are NOT dangerous for kids or anyone else. Side airbags save lives and prevent major injuries, these internet rumors and mussings of people who have no idea how the systems even work is just sad. If you are factory ordering the car....get them installed, cheap option and well worth it if you ever have to use them.

The B&O.....had it in my '14 Q5....have it in the new S4.......truthfully, can't really tell a major difference between them and the system in the GTI. The surround probably focuses the levels better just like a surround in your home theater.....but clarity, sound quality? Unless your an audiophile and ****.....you probably won't be able to tell.
I am an audiophile and the B&O in my Prestge S4 is great. I love it. Love the surround set to max. Hard to tell if it's better than the Bose system in our Porsce Boxster S because we drive with the top down and can barely hear the music.

BTW big bass makes it hard to hear all the music. We listen to Classical music mostly and big base just doesn't work. And then when you switch to someone talking the bass makes it hard to understand the words. So every time you have to turn down the bass. This is annoying to say the least.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am an audiophile as well...well maybe more of an amateur one but still I can hear the differences from crappy systems and good.

My test song is Hotel California (live version).
Old 12-25-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am an audiophile

Originally Posted by bpang1
I am an audiophile as well...well maybe more of an amateur one but still I can hear the differences from crappy systems and good.

My test song is Hotel California (live version).
sold stereo equipment through law school, have a large expensive sound system at home. I ordered B&O and have it in my 2015 s4,when the source material is clean you are rewarded for spending the $850 price. Not trying to be a audio snob, but when the music is there you hear it. And the B&O lettering in the speaker grilles is so cool, just like the rest of the S 4

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice - New S4 Purchase