S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

So back from the dragstrip... still #2...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So back from the dragstrip... still #2...

Went to the strip today...

Car: 2010 Audi S4 - DSG with sports dif, 5,500 miles, 1/8 tank of gas, tools and spare removed

Mods: APR beta race gas tune, APR pulley, LFC's, miltek non-res exhaust, custom intake, APR CPS, front and rear sways, BBS CHR's

Conditions: 40-48F, 50-70% humidity, 30.4 BP.... DA was 0-300... Great DA but too cold of a track

Did some testing today and expected better results but encouraged after reviewing the logs and vids... I had a beta APR race gas tune... Made as much as 16psi but was still dumping... Have sent them the logs and hopefully we can tweak the tune for next week... Had issues with spinning the tires and shifting on two runs... I'll detail below...

Run 1:
I debated on tire pressure with the weather and ended up going 40f 34r... big mistake! DA was about 0 as I mentioned above, it was cold and the track was very cold... They had it prepped well but it didn't matter... They let street cars go first which they probably should have had the slick cars go... anyway, car spun like crazy, got squirelly and only cut a 1.78 60ft... see vid and slip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMg8098NOs

Run 2:
I dropped the tire pressure 36f 30r with the DA still near 0 and the track being cold... Spun a little bit but not as bad as the first run... Ran my best ET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izfXrz_cF1s

Run 3: I droped the pressure to 34f 28r with the DA rising and the track temp rising... Got a good lauch, unfortunately the 60ft light was frosted over so not sure of the 60ft time... ran a 12.02...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvorCcLBxHU

Run 4: Since I didn't spin I kept the pressure the same and was rewarded with my best ever 1.64 60ft time... unfortunately, my 1-2 hung up and this cost me 2+tenths... Ran a 12.12 as a result...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZiFvhV-oY

So as I mentioned I was testing a new tune... I think I needed to let it adapt longer but not sure... It got better as the day went and I am sure if the shift didn't take a dump on the last run I would have went 11.8x, but I didn't... Wanted to make a few more passes but my brother had to work and it was a good 2 hour wait as there was 250+ cars... So will see how we do going forward... Will be back next week with this tune or if APR tweaks it... 100% gutting these cats or getting headers for next spring! I am still trapping lower than I did last year! I know if I had headers I would be running much much better... Dissappointed I didn't run better but I dumped alot of boost and I think there is more left in the car as it sits... I'll have some external vids later and more than willing to share the logs if anyone wants to see them...

Discuss!
Attached Images     
Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, good second run breaking into the 11's again!

I definitely agree that the HFC's need to go. They have to be eating 2-3mph on my car and even more on yours.

I don't like the idea of gutting the CATs so I'll probably go with headers just can't quite warm up to the idea of dropping another 3,500 for headers + install.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good stuff, Ron. Thnx for posting.

Is it just me, or do u also notice a little hesitation during gear changes. E.g., take a look @ Run 4 when you go from 2nd to 3rd. There's a bit of hesitation in the RPM needle. I don't think mine does this. Wonder if it's b/c the tune is still in beta.

I plan on heading out to the dragstrip next Saturday w/ zcd2.7t. Should be interesting to see my times improve since installing the Stage II and pulley. Although, LC is essentially useless now, but that's another story . . .
Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys...

Yeah, feel the same way about the headers plus the not sure how the car will sound so I may have to spend more $'s on additional mufflers or resonators... Oh well gotta do what you gotta do to go faster LOL...

Definetly a hesitation between the 1-2 on the 4th pass which cost me as I had finally hooked and cut a 1.64 60ft time so that should have been a low 11.9 or high 11.8...

Looking forward to see how both of you do next weekend... I'll be back at it as well...
Old 11-06-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Man Ron, your car is quick... You are still #1 without Methanol! Nice runs as usual.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
LFC's...
heh...

nice runs, though!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Thanks guys...

Definetly a hesitation between the 1-2 on the 4th pass which cost me as I had finally hooked and cut a 1.64 60ft time so that should have been a low 11.9 or high 11.8...
See, it's the same as me with the 1-2 shift, pretty sure everything just gets too hot. And it gets worse with each progressive run. If you were doing your runs 5-10 minutes apart, you would see it gets worse and worse, it either will hang up at the start or end of the shift. I can see the loss of drive so clearly from the angle of your car at the hood, you even look down to say WTF...I _so_ know that feeling. So disappointing.

We need that DSG tune. I can definitely see the clutch hunting during your shifts to find the right release point on 2-3 and 3-4. I think it goes into some failsafe if it doesnt get it right and the TCU signals the ECU to drop power. We are supposed to get more clutch pressure during shifts and not allow the TCU to tell the ECU to cut power.

And now the 6MTs have gotten a taste of 11s, just needed that easy launch, it's not going to be easy to get back that top spot. At least you backed up your 11.

J (ilspazzaneve on AZ)
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by forza1976
Man Ron, your car is quick... You are still #1 without Methanol! Nice runs as usual.
It isn't the methanol injection, it isn't the headers...it's the 6MT that's the biggest difference.

We need that last 200 rpm. And we need a better TCU that will stop killing the power and just shift it without as much slip.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

is it just me or is it weird that ron is now half a second slower than kevkev?

also re: ron's hangup on the 2-3 shift, I mentioned this a while back. It was happening to clochner too i believe.

It just sounds like a slipping clutch for the shortest time.

Last edited by sakimano; 11-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
is it just me or is it weird that ron is now half a second slower than kevkev?
Hey Saki!

I think the major thing is the fuel!, Like I posted on audizine, running with 100 oct, My ecu was pulling timing!, When I went back, I fueled up with 104 and logged, timing was only pulled when lugging in low revs in first gear. Another thing is that this time I launched my car full on [my friend came with a bed ] (I still only had a 1.6x 60ft because of minor clutch slip.

Saki, You have seen my posts for years!, when did I ever post false information on the forum?

Quick Reply: So back from the dragstrip... still #2...