S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Closing in on the decision

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closing in on the decision

We are getting closer on the decision to order a 2015 S4 for European Delivery in October. I'm still not sure if the dealer will budge off of the discount built into ED. I don't think dealers around here seem very aggressive on pricing. I checked Costco auto buying and they won't even quote an Audi in this area. No co-operating dealers in Ohio.

We are also wondering if the B&O radio is really worth it. It seems to not add any features such as Sirius/XM or Bluetooth audio, just more power and better speakers. Just how bad can the standard radio in a 50k plus car be? Shame on Audi if it is not already good. We are pretty pleased with the standard radio in my Mercedes, but did go with the better Bose radio in her 2001 A4 when we ordered it.

I had been thinking about the Prestige package, but now it seems to me not worth it over the P+ with options for just mainly the adaptive headlights.

Any input?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I do have the B&O option on mine, but I did not opt for the MMI package. I thought for $850 the upgraded sound wasn't a terrible idea, but couldn't understand paying over $3000 for a nav system I have on my $200 phone. But apparently there are some extra controls of the B&O system if you have the MMI package. Not sure how much they make a difference but I wasn't aware of that so I thought I'd mention it. I had the standard audi concert system in my Q5 previously and I thought it was pretty good. The B&O is better, but marginally. I can sometimes hear parts of the song I never noticed before, but I don't think it's a huge upgrade. If you get the Prestige package I think B&O comes standard.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm now on my 3rd B8 S4. First one did not have Nav or B&O. I thought the standard radio was decent. Now that I have the B&0 in my last 2 S4s, I can't really say that there is a WOW factor to it. If you are not an audiophile , you can live without it. But seeing you were considering a Prestige, for the little bit of extra money the B&O will cost you, just get it and that way you can be sure you will not be disappointed. IMHO, I really don't see the value of the Prestige unless you have to have every bell and whistle

Last edited by DrGP; 06-02-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'm now on my 3rd B8 S4. First one did not have Nav or B&O. I thought the standard radio was decent. Now that I have the B&0 in my last 2 S4s, I can't really say that there is a WOW factor to it. If you are not an audiophile , you can live without it. But seeing you were considering a Prestige, for the little bit of extra money the B&O will cost you, just get it and that way you can be sure you will not be disappointed. IMHO, I really don't see the value of the Prestige unless you have to have every bell and whistle
Well, I have been thinking about the Prestige, but this is the wife's car and she doesn't see the value. She also doesn't see the value in the B&O if it offers no additional features. It looks like MP3 playback, satellite radio, ipod and Bluetooth audio are included all with the standard radio with the technology package. She is not all that much into loud music to care about volume. We did not have the radio turned on in the test drive, because we were interested more in the handling and performance.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The B&O speakers are superior to the standard Audi Concert ones IMHO and worth the upgrade. There really aren't that great of "standard" audio systems, yes even in $50k+ German cars unfortunately. I don't know, I'm pretty impressed with the B&O system in the S4 but yes I do have MMI as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, it sounds like people who have the B&O like it and think its worth it.

Does anyone with the standard radio feel good with it or not satisfied with it?

Last edited by gforaker; 06-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gforaker
OK, it sounds like people who have the B&O like it and think its worth it.

Does anyone with the standard radio feel good with it or not satisfied with it?
I have the standard Audi Symphony system in my ' 12 S4 and am completely satisfied.
My wife has the B&O system in her Q5 and while it does sound good it doesn't blow me away.
I'd rather sink the $$$ into my home system.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the B&O and think its awesome. Put on an acoustic album and I swear you can hear each string being strummed.

What I think is awesome is the surround sound feature. Driving alone? Select driver. With a co-pilot? Select front. Playing kids songs? Select back. Or you can leave it for the whole car if you want to recreate the head banging Bohemian Rhapsody scene from Wayne's World.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the B&O system is worth the extra money. However, to some ears it is great and others not a big upgrade. I suggest you listen to both if you can and then decide. It definitely is better than the base system. Only you can decide if it is worth the extra money. As said before, its not an expensive option . Might be an issue not having it at resale .
Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

To me, the sound improvement is marginal and not worth $850, so I did not get B&O. Some people on this forum feel otherwise. Try both systems with your kind of music and decide for yourself.