S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer Or All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Or All Season Tires

My stock Continentals are completely bald, I need to get new tires. Should I go all season or get summer sport tires? I live in Utah and have winter tires for the snow. I'm leaning towards the summer tires but I have a 911 I drive mostly in the summer so all out performance isn't all that important to me. How much more mileage do you get out of the all season's? I got 12k out of the stock continental summer tires. What tires is everyone having the best luck with in each category?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably get a lot of replies that will recommend the Pilot super sports. When my Pirellis wore out after 15K I went with the Pilot super sport all seasons. Here in MN we get the occasional shoulder season snows which can really catch you off guard if you have summer tires. This happened to me and it was pretty scary.
I still use winter tires since some of the reviews of the pilot a/s don't have the best ratings in the snow. However in light snow it's not too bad.
My car is my daily driver and I've been very happy with them. I'm sure the summer pilot super sports have better handling but I guess I'm a little more conservative with my car.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Conti DWS all year long. They are cheaper and definitely will give you longer tread life. They work just fine for me in summer and winter. BUT, if you want to maximize performance, Summers will give you better grip in warm weather. Probably better stopping as well. A/S will be better in rain. Can't tell you about mileage on my DWS, since I have only had them on for a yr. FYI, I had Dunlop Maxx summer tires on my 2010 S4 and got 21k out of them. I never have been able to get that much mileage on any other UHP summer tires before. Probably could have stretched another 1k-2k miles on them . Stock Conti tires have been known for VERY poor tread life.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Pilot sport all seasons, because I live in PA/MD and don't really have a need to swap out winter treads.

Considering you've got a fun 911 summer runner, it probably makes sense to go all-weather on the S4
Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

We live in Aspen. It snows...alot.

Got Conti all seasons on the S4. 24k miles and lots of tread.

Got Mich Pilot all season super sports for the RS5. Only 5k miles so far.

Both brands work great in snow and on dry roads. Don't have the storage space to have two sets of tires.

Best
Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'm running Conti DWS all year long. They are cheaper and definitely will give you longer tread life. They work just fine for me in summer and winter. BUT, if you want to maximize performance, Summers will give you better grip in warm weather. Probably better stopping as well. A/S will be better in rain. Can't tell you about mileage on my DWS, since I have only had them on for a yr. FYI, I had Dunlop Maxx summer tires on my 2010 S4 and got 21k out of them. I never have been able to get that much mileage on any other UHP summer tires before. Probably could have stretched another 1k-2k miles on them . Stock Conti tires have been known for VERY poor tread life.
After a year can you tell how much of the S part of the DWS is left? From what I understand the S part goes first but the tires still are great for all season eve with the outer layer worn away. I had the DWS on my VW Touareg but worked from home so I only had about 5k miles on them after a year. I put the DWS on the S4 in Nov. before the snow hit (just before, like a a day or two). Debating if I should swap them out for the stock Contis for the summer.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wore out my Pirelli's and opted for the Conti DWS even though I have snow tires since I live in Chicago. It gives me a little peace of mind in case I don't get around to changing to snow tires in time. Also, I think it's one of the best all-around tires out there.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 AM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
My stock Continentals are completely bald, I need to get new tires. Should I go all season or get summer sport tires? I live in Utah and have winter tires for the snow. I'm leaning towards the summer tires but I have a 911 I drive mostly in the summer so all out performance isn't all that important to me. How much more mileage do you get out of the all season's? I got 12k out of the stock continental summer tires. What tires is everyone having the best luck with in each category?
I am interested in what you decided. How was your summer? I would say you don't get more mileage from All Seasons - check the tire compound and treadwear ratings. You'll get more miles with properly inflated, aligned, and smooth driving. I am a tirerack.com fan and use the tire ratings/user reviews. I typically use Michelin or Continental for summer and Blizzak in the winter.

My vote goes for the dedicated summer tires! If you've decided to drive an S model, do the car (and yourself) justice with the contact patches that work best for the conditions you are driving! There are some decent All Season tires but there is not much comparison between All Season and dedicated seasonal tires when pushing in the middle of each weather season. I slid in slush when I kept my summer wheels on too long and my winter tires felt squishy/squirmy when it got hot - be careful with those bald tires...
Old 11-01-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock continentals on my B8 S4 are going at 14K miles. Honestly, the last 4K miles have been pretty awful. They have gotten INCREDIBLY noisy. So much so I have to turn the radio up louder.

Anyway, just ordered a set of Pilot Super Sports to replace them, mostly on the recommendations here and past experience with Michelins on other cars.

-Charles
Old 11-09-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up getting Michelin Pilot SS, they've been great.

Quick Reply: Summer Or All Season Tires