S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Help

Have a 2012 S4, sports diff, 6 spd manual, awe touring exhaust, H&R swaybars, custom big brake kit with matching rear rotors. Put in H&R sport springs a couple of months ago and am scrapping the bottom of the car on a ramp every time I go in or out of my office garage. Have to do something. Was thinking of coilovers (bilsteins were recommended) and will probably give me the half inch height difference I need. Want to have my cake and eat it too. Like the low ride and tight springs, but drive it on a broad mix of roads from smooth upstate NY highways to the crater rich BQE in NYC. Any quality solutions that aren't going to cost prohibitive (would like to keep the cost in the neighborhood of $2k)?
Thanks
Old 11-27-2015, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe this? https://accuair.com/vehiclekitproduc...front-rear-kit
Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very interesting. I am going to start exploring this. if going this route, any other options? as i recall, KW had a suspension with a hydraulic lift button they were installing on 911s and similar sports cars. Anyone have more info, advantages/disadvantages, costs of these systems. thank you
Old 11-29-2015, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know this may sound crazy….

… but a number of companies sell a strip that can partially fill in the low valley to help clear the cars chin or underbelly… if it was your driveway, it would seem to be an easy fix (I have used one before from Griot's). However, I don't know the configuration of the parking garage or if that is even feasible. I was confronted with the opposite situation in Boston during the late 1970's with a lifted 4x4 Scout II - I couldn't clear the front entrance. As it turned out, there was a back entry and the manager gave me a key to enter that way. If this is the only place where you have this problem, perhaps a creative solution is in order that doesn't compromise your suspension investment.

Good Luck

Eric
Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

wish it were that simple. i am also experiencing occasional rubbing of the wheel wells. Consequently, i need to make some move and would love some kind of adjustable suspension. Hoping I can get additional ideas from the forum.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Having owned an allroad, I will never again own another car with an air suspension. When it works, it's really cool, but when it breaks, and it will, frequently, it's a nightmare. By the time my allroad was 5 years old I was spending $3k a year just to keep the air suspension running. I even gutted the system and put on an aftermarket (Arnott) system which failed explosively six months later and then again six months after that. In the end I just went coilovers. It's not just an allroad thing either (yes that car was cursed). Every time I talked to someone with an air suspension car I heard the same stories over and over again.

If you plan to keep your car more than a couple years, I'd really avoid air suspensions completely.