S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question

Do the front tires wear out quicker on the Audi's? I'm kind of shocked at how fast I've burned through my tires. I have 9,000 miles and i'm on the wear bars on the front. When my tire shop put my summer tires on they put the more worn out ones on the front. Should I switch them to the back?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:20 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

In my experience the fronts do wear faster. Although should not be THAT fast. In my typical 5k rotation the fronts are usually 1/32" down more than the rear.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess there is a chance they were never rotated. I bought the car CPO and thought it had new tires but it must not have. I then switched to the snows and didn't pay attention when my tire place put the summer ones back on. I'll switch them tomorrow and hopefully that will buy me some time. They are wearing in the middle more than the sides, maybe i'll reduce the tire pressure some.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I guess there is a chance they were never rotated. I bought the car CPO and thought it had new tires but it must not have. I then switched to the snows and didn't pay attention when my tire place put the summer ones back on. I'll switch them tomorrow and hopefully that will buy me some time. They are wearing in the middle more than the sides, maybe i'll reduce the tire pressure some.
FYI, if you have the summer Conti OEM tires, they are $hit . Wear out extremely fast. I got about 22k out of my 19" Dunlop Maxx tires . Others have done better. There are many UHP summer tires that are better and have better treadwear. If treadwear is your major concern, then All Season tires will be cheaper and have even better treadwear. Will sacrifice some summer performance3 and not as good as dedicated winter tires. BUT I run A/s tires and am happy with them.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

The are the stock Conti's. I'll be lucky to get 15k out of them. I did rotate them today, so that should help.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jw1977
The are the stock Conti's. I'll be lucky to get 15k out of them. I did rotate them today, so that should help.
Look at it this way. You now get to pick tires you actually want sooner.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got 32k out of my stock 19" Contis. That's about life of this tires. Change them today for PSS. I ran them almost for 4 years changing to DWS for winter. If you aggressive in the corners then tires wearing faster. Also inflation play a big role in tire life of the tire as well in fuel economy. This is basic knowledge though.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lenf
I've got 32k out of my stock 19" Contis. That's about life of this tires. Change them today for PSS. I ran them almost for 4 years changing to DWS for winter. If you aggressive in the corners then tires wearing faster. Also inflation play a big role in tire life of the tire as well in fuel economy. This is basic knowledge though.
Speaking of inflation--what is the general consensus (if there is one) on pressure? I've seen some folks mention different front/rear levels and some pushing for inflation above that recommended by Audi. I know back in the day with my A6 Allroad that the consensus was significantly higher pressure than factory spec.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Banned

I run 39 psi front and back (19")
Old 04-15-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cobalt03
Speaking of inflation--what is the general consensus (if there is one) on pressure? I've seen some folks mention different front/rear levels and some pushing for inflation above that recommended by Audi. I know back in the day with my A6 Allroad that the consensus was significantly higher pressure than factory spec.

Thanks!
I inflate to 41psi all around as recommended on the front driver door of the car.
I believe this inflation save gas and prolong life of the tires. Also don't forget about wheel alignment. Especially residents of North East and Canada. With the last a couple of winters potholes on the road just killing wheel alignment. I did my just yesterday when putting on new set of tires. Recommendation is that check every 6 month and do it every year. Paid $84.00 USD. Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Tire Question