S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Took delivery today, first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took delivery today, first impressions.

Took delivery of my beautiful car, couldnt be more happy with this S4. I had two 2013 S5 loaners while I was waiting for delivery, here are my first impressions.

I dont know why the DSG takes so much criticism. I dont plan on owning this car out of warranty, so if it breaks, I can have it replaced. The dealership will always issue a loaner. The shifts, both up and down, are surprisingly quick and smooth. I'd much rather have the DSG over a 6MT, but thats a personal preference for sure.

The doors on the S5 felt so heavy and and always sounded a little harsh when closing. Maybe its the new car, maybe its the smaller door, but they definitely feel and sound better when closing.

The B/O is a $1300 option on the 2016 S4, which is more expensive than it was the previous year. Again, maybe its the new car, maybe its my subconscious bias, but I think it sounds a lot better than it did in the 2013 S5's I had for a few days. Louder, more bass, better balance, in my amateur-at-best opinion.

I drove around for about ten miles starting the break-in process. I did a WOT up to redline twice (not back-to-back) and let it engine-brake back down. I ran around town very spiritedly and when I came home, I smelled something from the car. Im hoping it was more along the lines of aggressive braking, tires, or just normal new car "stuff" burning off. I definitely had some fun between the dealership and home, as was recommended for a proper break-in.

All in all, absolutely beautiful machine inside and out, worth every penny I'll be spending for the foreseeable future. It is a little disappointing that it doesnt have a touch screen. That would definitely make navigating through the dash interface much, much easier. The buttons feel a little cheap, but if those are my only two gripes with the car, it takes virtually nothing away from the experience of owning and driving an S4.

This is my first Audi, my first German car (this is actually my first not-Japanese car) and I am very new to the forums here, any advice is always appreciated.

Here she is:
2016 Audi S4, Daytona Grey pearl effect
Technology package
Bang & Olufsen
Black optic package
19-inch rims, titanium finish
255/35 summer tires (Monterey, Ca so basically year-round rubber)
Nappa Leather package, all black
Carbon Atlas inlays
Supercharged badges
And, *of course*, the sports differential

On a funny side note, I took a picture and remember hearing a car drive buy but wasnt paying attention to anything other than my car. Nothing to see here, officer!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Welcome! My 2001 B5 S4 was my first non-Japanese car too. Haven't looked back since then.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The smell is normal. Have you been driving with the SD in Dynamic? Makes a big difference in the way the car feels.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

congrats on car. Have dealer check math. B&O is now included in tech pacakage for year 2016. . Tech [package costs$3400-$1700 credit! Configurator | Audi USA this is on premium + car
\
Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the color, congrats!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
The smell is normal. Have you been driving with the SD in Dynamic? Makes a big difference in the way the car feels.
I have everything in dynamic except the transmission. I can slide the gear shifter over when I want to play with/through the gears. Otherwise, I like to lay low. Thanks for the reassurance with the smells. Im trying to be firm and aggressive with the break-in but dont want to over do it.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
Love the color, congrats!
Thank you very much! This was my favorite color by far.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jyges
congrats on car. Have dealer check math. B&O is now included in tech pacakage for year 2016. . Tech [package costs$3400-$1700 credit! Configurator | Audi USA this is on premium + car
\
Youre absolutely right. I accidentally misread one of the lines

Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive had this car for three days and Ive NEVER enjoyed a driving experience like this before. Ive had nice cars, Ive had fast cars, Ive never had a nice fast car. I had an AP2 S2000 that was lots of fun but this S4 blows that car out of the water in every conceivable way. I miss the way the S2000 screamed, especially when Vtec kicked in, but if you werent damn near redline, the car was no fun. I had a '93 twin-turbo RX-7, which was scary fast (I blew an apex seal, spent almost $10,000 under the hood making sure that wouldnt happen again) but that car was more high-maintenance than it was worth. The S4 is such an enjoyable machine. I feel lucky to live 30 minutes north of Big Sur. I can hear that road calling to me in my sleep. Thank you kindly for all the congratulations and advice. This car puts a smile on my face in ways I never thought possible.

Last edited by Monsoonenough; 10-05-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IvanS4
Welcome! My 2001 B5 S4 was my first non-Japanese car too. Haven't looked back since then.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Took delivery today, first impressions.