S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question

I have a volcano red 2014 S4 with under 8000 miles on it purchased new with, of course, a full warranty. I have tuned cars in the past and most have gone well except for blown turbo's on a 2001 S4 with an APR tune that cost me $4000. I am asking for honest opinions from the community on moving to an APR Stage 1 or 2 tune. I know that as soon as they upload the code and if something on the drive train goes bad, I'm out of luck. I was told at my Tampa dealer that all other parts of the car are still covered but anything to do with the drive train will be voided. Apparently any major issue immediately brings Audi regional people into the mix and the first thing they do is run a report out of the ECU. ANY meddling and the warranty is voided.

Any input on long term impact of the APR tune in any stage is appreciated. I really would like the extra grunt. I'm very happy with off the line performance but at speed it just doesn't pull the way I want it to.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Long term impact I wouldn't stress, because the tunes have been out for so long now they've worked out all the kinks when it comes to longevity.

Im running GIAC full stage 2 w/DSG tune, injectors, Forge Cooler, intake/exhaust... etc... And have had ZERO issues except on 116 octane fuel..... But I have a dealer hookup who won't TD1 me.. and NO I won't post it up publicly sorry lol

If you're in Florida, PM me and Ill share the love
The true question, and a better fitting for your thread title would be: To TD1 or Not to TD1
Old 05-15-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have tuned my car with APR stage 2 skipping stage 1, APR carbonio intake, Milltek non-res. This week I went to dealer for the recall and 45k service. Before going to the dealer guys who tuned my car re-flashed me back to stock ECU for not detecting tune(no tune was detected so now TD-1 for me). Then I went back for new version of APR tune. What a difference in comparing stock to new APR stage 2!!! I would say tune. you wouldn't regret it. I haven't heard any issues with APR yet and they been around for a long time and just released a new version.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you consider a piggyback tune that you can remove for service and leaves no imprint on the ECU. Big thread on AZ about it. $400 or less and performance of an APR stage 1 B8.5 S4 stock versus APR Stage 1 tune versus Chipwerke piggy back...
Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Would you consider a piggyback tune that you can remove for service and leaves no imprint on the ECU. Big thread on AZ about it. $400 or less and performance of an APR stage 1 B8.5 S4 stock versus APR Stage 1 tune versus Chipwerke piggy back...
No imprint as is GUARANTEED no warranty trouble? The Buger piggyback on my 335i had a setting to clear codes before a dealer visit, and ability to leave it install d, and turned off.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emwonk
No imprint as is GUARANTEED no warranty trouble? The Buger piggyback on my 335i had a setting to clear codes before a dealer visit, and ability to leave it install d, and turned off.
It does not need to be cleared. I am familair with the Juice Boxes and there were several varieties. It is possible, with the right equipment, a piggyback tune could be detected. However, the dealerships do not have that equipment or use it on a regular basis. you would need to trash your engine or have a major failure. At that point. a corporate computer guru may be able to find evidence of a tune. BUT if you remove the piggy back before service, the diagnostic computer that is programmmed to hunt for signs of a tune, will not detect any parameters that are out of the norm.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well then, looks like I have some shopping to do. I like that the install sounds swift and simple.

It looks like there is not a huge improvement in acceleration, but maybe it feels better than it looks on paper.

In the 335i the car felt significantly quicker with the tune. If the gain feels like that did, I don't care if the car is only 1\2 second faster. It's how it feels that counts for me.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Further Thoughts - Discouraging?

Earlier in the thread, somebody linked to another forum in which the seller started a thread offering to answer questions. After answering a couple, he backed out, saying it is hard to track the questions on the forum, preferring email.

I find that action discouraging to a sale, because forum-centralized question-answering has unsurpassed efficiency. Having all questions in one place avoids the need to answer the same question twice, and it is an unsurpassed way to demonstrate one's credibility and customer service.

Perhaps the forum management took exception to a non-advertiser fielding sales-building questions. But it looked like the seller bailed after answering only a few questions, in a thread he initiated to answer questions.

Terry Burger on the other hand used a forum specifically to centralize customer service and firmware updates. And on a Sunday afternoon when one is stuck mid-install, Terry would (years ago) answer a customer service email.

Until I see sales support like that, I'm not installing anything that tricks a supercharged engine, until there is more success reported here.

Also, it appears this company has systems for a LOT of cars. That feels a big "jack of all trades."
Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hard to say what the real reason was but that other forum caters to their paid vendor clientele and to have a newcomer show up and take sales from those paid vendors usually ends in thread deletion and accounts being banned.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
Thanks for the suggestion, I read through the AZ posts on the CW. Impressive so I bought a Pro and should be able to install this weekend. I am a bit nervous reading through the various comments and the mixed results. My dealer in Tampa is pretty tough. I had a 2000 S4 that I had APR chip installed, blew out the turbo's and it cost me $3800 to replace back in 2003. You can see why I would be a bit concerned. I do not have a VAG COM or any means of actually logging the results. I will install it, have a fresh tank of Shell 93, insure that it's set to B1 and give it a try during the week. If I see any CEL or other alarms, off it goes and back to CW. I only have 9000 miles on my car and I want it to last. Your posts on AZ are GREAT! Thanks so much. Too bad you are on the east coast of Florida, I'm on the West coast. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: To Tune or not to Tune, that is the question