S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Vibration in full steering lock turnings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in full steering lock turnings

Hello All
I am getting vibrations when i do full steering turn at low speed on My audi S4 2014 apparently when i took it to dealer they mentioned its pretty common in quattro and vehicle characteristics.
Any body else had encountered same issue and resolutions ??
Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by muralekarthick
Hello All
I am getting vibrations when i do full steering turn at low speed on My audi S4 2014 apparently when i took it to dealer they mentioned its pretty common in quattro and vehicle characteristics.
Any body else had encountered same issue and resolutions ??
A lot of people get this. I have a 2014 also and it does the same, I hate it. It didn't start the shudder right away though, took a few weeks after I bought it.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At low speeds with sharp turns, the inside and outside wheel turning radii are very different. The Quattro system(or any AWD system) has a hard time compensating for the differences. What you are probably feeling is the friction of the tires scrubbing against the road surface trying to compensate for the differences. Completely normal. Many experience the same issue. Welcome to AWD.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
At low speeds with sharp turns, the inside and outside wheel turning radii are very different. The Quattro system(or any AWD system) has a hard time compensating for the differences. What you are probably feeling is the friction of the tires scrubbing against the road surface trying to compensate for the differences. Completely normal. Many experience the same issue. Welcome to AWD.
My 2011 does it too, but it is not an AWD thing, only an Audi AWD thing, most S4's seem to do it, mine is worse with winter tires on it. Many BMW's and other AWD cars, the Audi is the only one that does this - it seems to be quattro specific, or S4 specific, I have driven a few A4 quattro's and never noticed it either. May be specific to the S4 differential system.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It is quite annoying. I've had 3 Subaru's with all kinds of tires and sizes; very skinny snows to wide R compound track tires, a B6 audi A4, and hundreds of BMW x-drives (I work for BMW in New England, where 9 out of 10 is AWD), and my B8 S4 is the only car i've felt that makes a vibration like it does. Almost like a truck in 4WD making a turn.
My dealer told me the same thing. "It's a quatro thing. you wouldn't understand."
I just told her, well i'm glad i bought the extended protection plan, and left it at that.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

6MT? It's an artifact of the torsen center diff. The crown-gear center diff in the B8.5 s-tronic handles this much better. I don't get any of this in the RS5, but my old B7 had it bad.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
6MT? It's an artifact of the torsen center diff. The crown-gear center diff in the B8.5 s-tronic handles this much better. I don't get any of this in the RS5, but my old B7 had it bad.
Mine is a B8 (not.5) with the s-tronic and sport diff...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 555wrx
Mine is a B8 (not.5) with the s-tronic and sport diff...
Yep, torsen center diff. Only the B8.5 s-tronic has the grown-gear center diff.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-25-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yep, torsen center diff. Only the B8.5 s-tronic has the grown-gear center diff.
What is the key identifier to differentiate between torsen center diff and crown-gear between the B8 and B8.5 when looking at the trans?
Is there a different shape to the center diff area, stamping on the casing etc.?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
What is the key identifier to differentiate between torsen center diff and crown-gear between the B8 and B8.5 when looking at the trans?
Is there a different shape to the center diff area, stamping on the casing etc.?
Honestly, I haven't seen them side by side, but the grown-gear is more compact, so yes, I would expect a different shape of the casing. Part # of the whole transmission should be different. The center differential is part of the transmission. I found these images. The first one is the B8 and the second one is the B8.5. It has a slight different shape where the center diff is. Unfortunately the first image is a little small.

Quick Reply: Vibration in full steering lock turnings