S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Water pump

Old 11-26-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water pump

Folks...I know most of you are solid...just posted this in the B6 site - but know some good gear heads hang out here in the B8's - and maybe have some thoughts for me on the below...thx.
__________________________________________________ ________
Hi Folks..need some help. Living in Germany w/the military for a year..left the S4 back at home, and bought a 2002 A4 6sp w/APR here. 150k miles. Single owner before me....

Engine temp is rock solid - gauge doesn't move. Drives great (though, wish I could do more than 110 here on the autobahn) What doesn't work is interior heat - I can't get any heat out of vents. Even on 'HI'. And - Germany is getting cold. Local dealer says it's the water pump....at about 600 Euros. And then, probably the timing belt (which makes sense from what I've heard...)....

Thoughts? Again - the engine temp gauge is perfectly centered. Just, I can't get heat into the car...

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it's the heater core.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the temp gauge reads normal operating temp, the water circulating through the heater core SHOULD be hot. But you are getting no heat. IF the WP was bad, the temp would go up way beyond normal temp lots of hot coolant in the heater core. IF the Tstat was bad, and stays open, it would take a long time to get heat but eventually it would throw heat when coolant came up to normal operating temps. If the t stat was bad and closed, you will never get any hot coolant into the heater core. So it would seem to me, that the T stat or Heater core would be the most likely suspects.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the fuses?
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks.

All three responses are great...and were news to me.

I should have a) checked fuses first. Moron. Even I know how to do that.

Did some research on the heater block...reached back to my great dealer, Audi Raleigh....they said probably the heater block (were replacing one that day on an '03). And, I read some threads on Audizine...

Based on that....and the fact the car is a 'deployment' car that I paid 4k for (and that's at the high end of a 1yr deployment car, folks!). I'm going to say NEIN to my repair dude here...and keep the heated seats on and gloves in the car. When wife and mom come to visit..they can bundle up.

Interesting to note - you guys provided the answers...no hits on the link I put up on the B6 site...

Other notes...The RS6 Avants here are just as you'd expect. Badass. I don't have kids...and I want one. And, the new Q7 and R8 are beauts.

Have a great holiday everyone, and thanks again.