S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What car(s) did you seriously consider before S4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C63 AMG -- Nice car. Loved the power, the noise, THE SEATS!! I wished Audi would get a little more aggressive with their side bolsters. Found myself really close to getting this car, even joining a MB forum. Luckily I did, I found too many customers with tire wear issues in the rear and uncomfortable winter driving. Winters in Canada are super long and the plows are infrequent. Glad I hopped out of this decision.

Used B7 RS4 -- Great car. Love the look of the flared fenders, the sound of that V8! Oh my!! That heavy engine in the front, plus the AWD, you can really feel the car biting and gripping in slow corners. Great feel. However, I was a little unsettled about spending $36,000 on a used RS4. As clean as the records seemed on some, I was a little unsettled about how the car was treated before me. Also, owning a German car out of warranty didn't sit well with me. So, it made more sense, to me anyway, to spend roughly the same on leasing a brand new S4. After test driving the S4, I didn't notice any performance gaps, but LOVED the drive select and Sport Diff. Was a no brainer.

And, honestly speaking, DrGP made this comment in another thread while I was test driving cars, so I didn't even bother heading to BMW. Thanks DrGP

Originally Posted by DrGP
S4 was/is far superior to 335i coupe that I had been driving. even though I really liked the 335i.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have just started week 2 with my new S4, so my choice was pretty clear, but I have been wondering if anybody has looked at an A6 s-Line with the 3.0 Biturbo diesel (engine from the SQ5) as an alternative? For a while I thought this may be an interesting, if not slightly odd, alternative, but having driven that engine in the SQ5 it is quite something, and if the suspension set up in the S-Line A6 is attractive enough this car could be interesting (though the cabin is a little too "luxury" in my book....very much prefer the S4 sportier ambience). Just wondering.

Last edited by Dilettanteque; 04-30-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Subaru WRX Sti. couldn't accept the boy racer huge rear wing and they no longer make a WRX Sti station wagon.

BMW 335xi Msport. Performance lacking. BMWs don't look good to me nowadays. Nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away. Audi dealer is 25 minutes away.

got the manual transmission and love it. My wife will not drive anything but a stick. Test drove an Audi with double clutch transmission and it upshifted on its own. Asked the salesman why. His answer: to save gas. How does the car know if you are about to pass someone or about to encounter a steep hill?

Test drove an S4 with DCT. Was not nearly as much fun to drive.

Best
Should add we seriously looked at an S5. Looks better than the S4. but we decided the practicality of a 4 door so our aging friends (like ourselves) could easily get in and out...plus the storage with the rear seats down is more accessible and user freindly. thus, practicality won out over looks!

(in my younger days I would have gotten the S5 no question and put up with having a winter set of tires and a summer set. S4 has all season radials as an option...lots less hassle.)

We also looked at and drove the SQ5. It was not as much fun to drive, not as peppy and not as good in the twisties. And why we need two SUVs is beyond me.

S4 seems to be a perfect car for us.

Best
Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your comments about the SQ5 engine not being as peppy is interesting, pretty much my experience (I guess a petrol/diesel thing) - but what did you think about the general power delivery? I was rather taken by the brute power of it, but in that SQ5 body and with the slightly less responsive feel i just thought the v6 Supercharged felt a lot more nimble.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the SQ5 a helluva lot heavier? I would imagine that has a major impact not to mention the body roll. Any addition HP gains with the SQ5 engine is rendered negligible with that big and heavy body.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Indeed. It doesn't do a bad job, but it is still an SUV. It would have benefited from quattro GmbH having a hand in suspension setup. But I think that the engine, aside from the hulking body, is also a little less "peppy" which I think is diesel characteristic, and i wonder what an A6 would felt like if you A/B tested the v6 supercharged petrol and the diesel bi turbo as both engines are in the A6 range.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I looked at the following

TTRS
Infiniti G37x
Lexus IS350
Acural TL
Subaru Legacy
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dilettanteque
Indeed. It doesn't do a bad job, but it is still an SUV. It would have benefited from quattro GmbH having a hand in suspension setup. But I think that the engine, aside from the hulking body, is also a little less "peppy" which I think is diesel characteristic, and i wonder what an A6 would felt like if you A/B tested the v6 supercharged petrol and the diesel bi turbo as both engines are in the A6 range.
The SQ5 in the U.S. is petrol only and weighs at least 10% more than an S4. It also has a (very good) 8-speed automatic rather than the dual clutch of an S4. These factors, combined with shape and higher ground clearance, provide a different driving experience than an S4. I test drove one and think it is a great SUV but if I were to get one it would be to replace my wife's Q5 2.0T not my S4.

As far as speed / responsiveness, in a straight line I don't feel the SQ5 is that far behind an S4 and feel it is ahead of an A6 3.0 (all petrol). Once curves comes, the S4 stands apart from the SQ5 for the points above.