S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What is the SDCard Playlist secret?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the SDCard Playlist secret?

I've had my 2011 S4 Prestige for about two weeks now. The failure of the iPod interface to remember where it is and to stay in shuffle drove me nuts, so I loaded up an SD Card with music and a few playlists.

The S4 recognizes and plays the music. The playlists don't appear; they aren't listed in their directory nor in the Playlist listing at the browsing top.

They're standard MMU files. I've tried them in a Playlist directory off root, in the root and in a Music directory with the music. I've tried them with the absolute ("/Music/Yello/"...) path in them and with the relative path ("Yello/...") from the main music directory. I haven't found a way to make them visible in the UI.

What's the secret?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't use playlists on my SD. I have different directories with the songs that were in the individual playlists on my other music player and the directory name is the same as the play list name. For example, I just navigate to a folder called "Rock collection 1" and start playing the songs in that folder.

Bruce
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar;
I don't use playlists on my SD. I have different directories with the songs that were in the individual playlists on my other music player and the directory name is the same as the play list name. For example, I just navigate to a folder called "Rock collection 1" and start playing the songs in that folder.

Bruce
What if you want to play an actual album, with tracks in the correct order?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DigiSage
What if you want to play an actual album, with tracks in the correct order?
I burn CD's to my SD card using Windows Media Player - I have the SD card set up to have 2 playlists with individual album folders within each. The SD player on my A6, as well as my previous B8 A4, allows me to scroll between playlists and then between albums within each, playing the tracks in the correct order. It was just a matter of dragging & dropping the album folders from Media Player onto the SD card. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it was a matter of two things:
  1. Initially my playlists were in a separate directory off root; that doesn't seem to work.
  2. I have a fast (Class 6) SDCard, but it has over 10GB of music on it. This apparently takes the Audi MMI system over an hour of "on-time" to get through before it processes the playlists. I wasn't waiting that long between experiments.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TCat
  1. Initially my playlists were in a separate directory off root; that doesn't seem to work.
  2. I have a fast (Class 6) SDCard, but it has over 10GB of music on it. This apparently takes the Audi MMI system over an hour of "on-time" to get through before it processes the playlists. I wasn't waiting that long between experiments.
did you just use WM or iTunes to build the playlist, then drop in the root of the SD card?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is that one hour of on-time a one time issue? i'd hate to think that i'd load up a 4GB card with a bunch of music and i couldn't even access it until i was 3/4 of my way to work every day or something, a 20 minute drive.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakau2007
is that one hour of on-time a one time issue? i'd hate to think that i'd load up a 4GB card with a bunch of music and i couldn't even access it until i was 3/4 of my way to work every day or something, a 20 minute drive.
4GB card only takes a few seconds to load. I dunno why his is taking that long, unless it's only because of building the 'playlists'. I usually only load up albums, so I've never encountered this issue.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
4GB card only takes a few seconds to load. I dunno why his is taking that long, unless it's only because of building the 'playlists'. I usually only load up albums, so I've never encountered this issue.
I've got a bunch of playlists on my SD card... the are all .M3U format lists, called whatever you want.M3U, and the contents look like the following:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:245,Harvest - 3 - A Man needs a Maid
..\Neil Young\Harvest\03 A Man needs a Maid.m4a
#EXTINF:234,Cradlesong - 10 Natural
..\Rob Thomas\Cradlesong\10 Natural.m4a
etc etc

I have a 16Gb SD card, with about 14Gb music on it.. it takes a minute or so to read the music after inserting the card, but it takes a couple of minutes to recognise the playlists.
I have my lists in a folder called 'My Playlists', but that's for organisation, and is not required.
I built the lists originally with the help of a shareware playlist builder, becasue I could figure out how to do it in itunes...
I hope this helps,
Regards,
Brett
Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think that the problem with the slow processing of the SD-card is not because of the playlists, but because of the folder structure. If you, for example, put all the songs in one single folder, it will take forever for the MMI to read the card. Otherwise, if you organize the songs in a dozen of folders (but not too many, and not too-branched (too deep) folder structure), then the processing time is much, much shorter.

Quick Reply: What is the SDCard Playlist secret?