S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What is the SDCard Playlist secret?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I don't use playlists on my SD. I have different directories with the songs that were in the individual playlists on my other music player and the directory name is the same as the play list name. For example, I just navigate to a folder called "Rock collection 1" and start playing the songs in that folder.

Bruce
I use this same setup as it just mirrors my mp3 directory structure on my PC.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just loaded up my 32GB class 10 with mp3s. It took almost 30mins of crawling before the playlist shows up.

The playlist can be everywhere as long as it path is done in relative path.

Last edited by xtr3ma; 11-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xtr3ma
I just loaded up my 32GB class 10 with mp3s. It took almost 30mins of crawling before the playlist shows up.

The playlist can be everywhere as long as it path is done in relative path.
Yeah I could go and edit the m3u files, change the paths and all that but unless I can manage playlists and put them on my card with fewer than 3 button clicks, its not worth the effort.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Simple Answer

The easier way:

1) Create Folders with the names of your playlists on your SD card.

2) Open iTunes. Click on a Playlist. Select all Songs in that Playlist.

3) Drag the songs to the appropriate folder on your SD card.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I've played with this extensively and have landed on the following.

I have a large folder of individual songs (over 4,000) saved to a 32GB SD card. All are in a folder title "music" which is not organized with any subfolders...just an unorganized dump of 4000+ songs with a mixture of 2 or 3 different formats (mp3, m4a, etc). I then converted all my playlists to .m3u format using one of several freeware online programs that converts itunes playlists to .m3u which the Audi MMI system can read (not necessary if you use WMP or other programs that automatically save the playlists as .m3u). This program takes around 2 seconds to run and automatically finds and converts your itunes playlists. I then dump these playlists into the root directory of the same 32GB SD card. Within a half hour or so the MMI will recognize the playlists (it takes time...be patient).

If I modify or add to the playlists over time, I simply drag and drop the new playlists (converted per above) to the SD card...no need to touch the "music" folder. If I add a few new songs to the collection, I simply add those songs to the "music" folder. Works flawlessly and really minimizes the amount of time it takes to keep both my itunes directory and the SD card synced up and organized. Takes around 10 minutes per month.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having the same strange problem with SD card. Just got a new 2012 A6. My card structure is identical to schifferbrains description:

32gb SD card.
About 3600 song files.
About 12 playlists in .m3u format created in Windows iTunes.
Playlist files are in the top (root) directory of the card.
Created a folder on the card for each playlist.
Used iTunes to copy each playlist to corresponding folder on the SD card.
None of the folders have more than 1000 songs.

So my problems are similar to some described above, and different things keep happening.

1) Most often, when I insert the SD card, MMI plays nothing gives the following message:

"The medium or device is being loaded.
Please wait..."

I have waited, while driving, up to 45 minutes and the message never goes away, and music never plays from the SD card.

2) Sometimes, if I get impatient and eject then reinsert the SD card, it will immediately play the first file in the first folder from the first playlist - NOT the first song in the playlist. If I then load the corresponding playlist, it works fine.

However, if I try to play ANY OTHER playlist, or any song directly from any other folder, the song grays out and it gives me some read error. Again, this will not improve if I wait a long time for the SD card to supposedly recognize the playlists.

3) I have even tried to eject/reinsert multiple times. On occasion, I can get the 2nd playlist to play as the first one above, but have NEVER gotten anything else.

In examples 2) and 3) above, I see an icon on the MMI screen that I cannot find documentation to see what it means. I attached a photo of this and circled it in red. The icon is identical to the playlist icon. I suspect this means that the playlists are being recognized or loaded. However, today, I drove an hour home from work and played playlist #2 (as in example 3 above), and that icon never went away. When I got home and tried to play any other playlist after the first 2, nothing would work, nor would direct access from the folders for any song after the first 2 folders.

HELP!!! This is driving me nuts!!! I have a lot of well planned playlists, and that is how I listen to music. I also update and create new ones all the time. Without it, I am pretty sad in this fancy new car! I don't want to have to hook up and iPod, because it converts to analog, and doesn't have album art. SD is so much slicker, and Jukebox doesn't support playlists.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is how I solved it.
I created playlists using Windows Media Player and stored them on the SD card. Using Notepad, I edited the playlists to change the file reference for all songs from C:\... to the root directory based reference on SD card. I used replace all.
The new playlists appeared in the MMI without any noticeable wait time.