S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wheel options for winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel options for winter

Hi guys.. I'm purchasing an 2013 audi s4 (ibis white) next week from NC.

What is coming stock on the car are 19" peelers (i think that's what theyre called) and contisportcontact (summer) tires. I doubt that will get me by at all in Michigan

What would you guys recommend for an all year setup? Let's say I have the car for at least 6 years and put on 50k miles total. Which option would you guys recommend:

-19" oe wheels with 19" summer tires + 18" rs6 replica wheels with 18" winter tires
-19" oe wheels with 19" summer tires + 19" rs6 replica wheels with 19" winter tires
-19" oe wheels + 19" summer tires + 19" winter tires (swap 2x/year)
-19" oe wheels + 19" all season tires (sell/store the summer ones)

If one of the first two, would you use oem for summer and rs6 replicas in winter or vice versa?

Here is what the wheels would look like (I think pic shows 20" even):
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Audi-RS6_...llpaper_3b.jpg

And for winter tires I'm probably going with the dunlop winter sport 3D.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in the northeast (so probably similar to michigan) and my 2011 came with pirelli summer tires too. I didn't research much in the way of getting another set of wheels, but i went with michellin pilot super sport all-seasons. I thought I would put the summers back on but the tech at Midas told me my summers had dry wall damage and wouldn't recommend I put them back (though i didn't totally trust him). He assured me that after driving the michelins, i would not want to put them back on anyways.
I have been through just one summer since, but i haven't really felt the need to invest in new summer tires....hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sfali16
I am in the northeast (so probably similar to michigan) and my 2011 came with pirelli summer tires too. I didn't research much in the way of getting another set of wheels, but i went with michellin pilot super sport all-seasons. I thought I would put the summers back on but the tech at Midas told me my summers had dry wall damage and wouldn't recommend I put them back (though i didn't totally trust him). He assured me that after driving the michelins, i would not want to put them back on anyways.
I have been through just one summer since, but i haven't really felt the need to invest in new summer tires....hope this helps.
Correction - I think I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 tyres - not the pilot super sport all seasons. There might be a subtle difference (sorry, it has been over a year since i bought these)
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are my recommendations from a prior thread. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...on-s4-2875919/

With 19" snow tires you're pretty much spending what you could spend on a whole set of 18" wheels and snow tire package. 18's all day for snow and keep the existing 19's in the basement for summer spring and fall.

Can you get by with AS3's in winter? Yes you can, but honestly they aren't that great in winter. They are more oriented toward summer use. Keep in mind "all season tires" might be rated "all season" but often times sportier tires are oriented more toward summer use with the occasional snow storm. Last I checked Michigan is not exactly an occasional snow storm state. If the car is a garage queen that's one thing, if its every day use then by all means snow wheels and tires plus a summer set all the way. Most economical would be to burn up the all seasons you're getting during the warmer months and pick up a set of snows for winter.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm running 19" with summer performance tires with temperature above 40 and 18" with Conti DWS below 40 degrees. With current snow here in NJ the DWS tires are perfect, have no issue with these tires.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yea i think that's the best setup. the car i ended up getting has oem 18s with granada touring a/s tires. im going to try those out and wear them out. eventually ill buy 19 aftermarkets with summer tires and replace the a/s tires with winter ones.