S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wife Now Wants an Additional Audi

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife Now Wants an Additional Audi

Put the Outback 2.5XT manual transmission in storage for the summer last Sunday, so the wife has been forced to drive the S4 daily.

Today she told me that we should replace the Outback with another Audi.

I believe we should wait and see how many service problems we have. the Outback with 60k miles has been flawless.

And then there is the question of what additional Audi would we want.

would we need an SQ5 for storage capacity? Not as much fun to drive as S4
. The outback has alot more storage. We will see this summer if we will miss that.

Would we get a convertible? I would like to hold out for a hard top convertible. Will Audi ever make one? the RS5 convertible looks interesting to me but it seems that Audi convertibles with big engines do not come with a stick shift. Plus we already have two convertibles...one with a soft top and one with a hard top but they are for summer. wife would like to have a convertible to drive all year round...but she will not drive a car that isn't a manual transmission.

Having one hard top convertible and one soft top convertible the hardtop version is the only way to go. quieter and less cowl shake with the top up. It is truly like having two cars in one.

And it seems prudent to wait until February when the convertible 4 year note will be paid off. then we can think about getting another note on a new car if the interest rate is right...1.99% works for me like we have on the S4.

Yes, we could take on another payment for a few months but seeing what the newer model would have to offer might be prudent.

Thoughts?

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

For a convertible to drive year round I can only think of a 911 4 or 4S (cabs or maybe targa) as cars with AWD and manual available. Of course they are also soft tops and in a different league price-wise. Otherwise I can't think of any other convertibles with AWD and manual still available but maybe there are others. Many more choices with dual clutch or torque converter automatics.

If you are looking to replace the Outback for utility purposes, I think you are correct in that the Q5 won't have the same capacity. If you don't need all the space, the Q5 is a fine car. My wife has the 2.0. I considered swapping it for the SQ5, but her commute is under 10 miles each way so not worth it to us. The new Porsche Macan may be of greater interest than the SQ5 for "fun factor" from what I've read.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the Macan crazy expensive?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
I don't think it's too far off an SQ5. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably depends on how many of those Porsche option boxes you check...
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay

Equipped the way I would want them:

Macan S base $51,095...$79,435 optioned.

SQ5 Prestige $59,400...$61,900 optioned.

Pcar is $17,535 more and alot uglier.

And the Pcar turbo is even more expensive...$73,200 base.
All Built on the same chassis.
0-60:
SQ5 5.1 sec
Macan S 5.0 sec
Macan Turbo 4.4 sec

the porsche is not worth it to me but I have yet to drive one.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

What options on the Macan for $28K?

I just built one I thought was very well equipped for $68,895.

Last edited by RickFLS4; 05-09-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
What options on the Macan for $28K?

I just built one I thought was very well equipped for $68,895.
Rhodium Silver $690
Front seat heat $525
Black/Red Seats 18 way $5,590
AFS lights $720
Entry and drive $810
Park sensors and camera $1460
Thermal/noise glass $990
Auto dim mirrors $420
Side blades color $670
Panoramic Roof $1670
Air suspension and PASM $2745
Torque vector $1490
Vent seats $660
3 zone climate $510
PCM and Nav $3140
Elec logbook $600
Voice control $595
Bose $1400
6 Disc CD/DVD $520
Online $210
P Car Connect $420
XM sat/ HD $930

Best
Old 05-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some interesting things in that list that a reasonable person may expect to be part of the standard package (parking sensors, 3 zone air, disc player) for a car of that class.

"We can option up from 2 cylinders for a small price".
Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Macan S $49,900
Rhodium Silver $690
Infotainment Pkg $2,990 (PCM, NAV, Sirius, HD radio, online svcs)
Premium PKG+ $5,990 (park assist f/r with camera, panoramic roof, PDLS, seat heat / vent, dimming mirrors, entry / drive, 14-way power seats)
Leather pkg in black $1,740
Air suspension incl. PASM $2,745
PTV Plus $1,490
Lane Change Assist $690
Bose $1,400
Voice control $595
Total $68,230 + destination ($10K+ less)

You are better off taking the available packages than picking all options a la cart. For example infotainment package is less than PCM on its own. Also there are at least a few items on your list that are not available on the SQ5 so adding in them to the build should be considered in the comparison (18-way seats, thermal / noise glass; not sure if SQ5 comes with PASM and PTV equivalents). You can't get the two-tone red / black seats with Porsche cheaply, but the leather quality and coverage if you do are likely better than the black / red Nappa on the SQ5 so, like the other options not available on the SQ5, you'd have to decide if it is worth it to pay for it. (You also can't get ventilated seats with black / red Nappa on SQ5 - black or brown only with Milano comfort package.) Also, while nothing wrong with SQ5's 8-speed, the PDK is about the best auto-manual you can get. So, there are differences in the vehicles that play some role in the pricing difference. I'm not saying they are equally priced, but I think you could get a pretty nice Macan that isn't that far off the SQ5.

I've driven an SQ5 and thought it was very nice. I have not driven a Macan yet, but expect it will handle better, particularly around corners and twists. While far from lightweight, the Macan is also 200-300 lbs. lighter than an SQ5 as well. Looks are a matter of personal taste so if you don't like the Macan there isn't much point in considering it.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Macan S $49,900
Rhodium Silver $690
Infotainment Pkg $2,990 (PCM, NAV, Sirius, HD radio, online svcs)
Premium PKG+ $5,990 (park assist f/r with camera, panoramic roof, PDLS, seat heat / vent, dimming mirrors, entry / drive, 14-way power seats)
Leather pkg in black $1,740
Air suspension incl. PASM $2,745
PTV Plus $1,490
Lane Change Assist $690
Bose $1,400
Voice control $595
Total $68,230 + destination ($10K+ less)

You are better off taking the available packages than picking all options a la cart. For example infotainment package is less than PCM on its own. Also there are at least a few items on your list that are not available on the SQ5 so adding in them to the build should be considered in the comparison (18-way seats, thermal / noise glass; not sure if SQ5 comes with PASM and PTV equivalents). You can't get the two-tone red / black seats with Porsche cheaply, but the leather quality and coverage if you do are likely better than the black / red Nappa on the SQ5 so, like the other options not available on the SQ5, you'd have to decide if it is worth it to pay for it. (You also can't get ventilated seats with black / red Nappa on SQ5 - black or brown only with Milano comfort package.) Also, while nothing wrong with SQ5's 8-speed, the PDK is about the best auto-manual you can get. So, there are differences in the vehicles that play some role in the pricing difference. I'm not saying they are equally priced, but I think you could get a pretty nice Macan that isn't that far off the SQ5.

I've driven an SQ5 and thought it was very nice. I have not driven a Macan yet, but expect it will handle better, particularly around corners and twists. While far from lightweight, the Macan is also 200-300 lbs. lighter than an SQ5 as well. Looks are a matter of personal taste so if you don't like the Macan there isn't much point in considering it.
Porsche has changed some of the pricing and packages since I compared the Macan to the SQ5 last December.

In pictures the Macan looks ugly to me. Maybe looks better in person. I have driven the SQ5. Need to drive the Macan S and Turbo before I would order. (I have driven the Cayenne Turbo S with tiptronic. Did not like. Drove a Panamera Turbo with PDK. Did not like. I do like our Boxster S with a stick shift.)

The Pcar would have to be really superior as I have an Audi dealer 20 minutes away...closest Porsche dealer is 3.5 hours away.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-10-2014 at 06:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wife Now Wants an Additional Audi