S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter Wheel Setup Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Wheel Setup Thread?

Hey Guys, I am looking at swapping to some winter wheels here soon and am curious as to what all you cold weather state guys are running? Go ahead and post up some pics and tire/wheel description! Also what kind of deal you got would be great! Thanks gents.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Went with 255/35R19's Nokian Hakka 2's on Hartmann HTT-256-GA:M wheels. Wheels are 8 1/2" wide with 38mm offset, 5 x 112mm bolt pattern and correct for Audi 66.56 mm center bore (no centering rings needed) . I don't use spacers.

The tires were purchased from tiresbyweb.com. The total was $1,467.04. This included 6% MI tax, but shipping was no additional charge. I've use tiresbyweb for many years and they are great.

The wheels came from Achtuning.com., with new Audi center caps and new ball seat wheel bolts. The total for everything, with shipping (no tax required) was $1,531.56. This was my first purchase from Achtuning, and the process was flawless.

I can't find my photos with the winter setup, but if you go to the Hartmann website Hartmann Wheels - Audi Wheels, stock replicas - hartmannwheels.com and scroll down, they have a number of photos for the wheels I selected.

I'm very pleased with both the tires and wheels. The Nokian's with Quattro are just absolutely unstoppable in ice and snow...until the snow is so deep the car get's hung up on the bottom, and then the tires don't matter. The performance has also been excellent in the rain. In warmer temps and dry conditions, the tire are not as firm as the OEM summer tires, with turn-in not as crisp. However, the great snow/ice results are worth the trade-off for me.

The Hartmann wheels are very high quality and recommended. They arrived in perfect condition and have held up very well in their first year of winter use. I'll mount them again around the beginning of November.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When I bought my 2014 S4 this Summer it came with 255/35 19 Blizzak LM-32s (no wheels). I am looking to go with either of the following in Matte Black (a tad concerned on the color with a Silver car)...

- VMR 710
- AvantGarde 310
-AvantGarde 580

I am open to suggestions for wheel vendors...

I am also outside Chicagoland and curious when others were planning to swap out wheels...

Lastly, do you folks keep your Summer wheels at home or with your local dealer?

I was thinking if I got the Wheels sent to my dealer and paid them to mount them and swap them out they might be willing to store the Summer tires for me.

Last edited by SuBPaR; 10-27-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am in Boston - not too much deep snow, mostly cold ice and water, so I went with the more performance snow tires and did Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, if I saw more snow, I would have done X-ice. I got them at tire rack and put them on the Titanium package rep wheels by Andros http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I am in Boston - not too much deep snow, mostly cold ice and water, so I went with the more performance snow tires and did Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, if I saw more snow, I would have done X-ice. I got them at tire rack and put them on the Titanium package rep wheels by Andros http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
I have oem 19" Titaniums w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. They work great;
your set up will be even better!

Gets you through anything and decent dry tire as well.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by troposphere
I have oem 19" Titaniums w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's. They work great;
your set up will be even better!

Gets you through anything and decent dry tire as well.
Good to here - 90% of the winter here is just cold try salty pavement - didn't want to listen to the rumblings of a more aggressive tread block and give up the dry traction.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was reading on Audi website and the recommended size for S4 is 245/40 R18 97V

Do you guys prefer 18 or 19?

https://audiwinter.ca/#/en/wheels-packages
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dunlop Wintersports, I've had many sets of the old M3's on multiple Audis, a Porsche, and a Benz, I have had 2 sets of the newer 3D's on the S4 and a BMW, when I need a replacement I'll buy a set of 4D's

I live in MA and we snowboard in VT, NH, and ME. I've had chains available for really bad times and haven't needed them yet.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used Michelin Alpin PA3's on my A5 (stock 18 wheels) last winter in Michigan, and had no hiccups on mild hills even with the boatload of snow we got. The dry road performance is pretty good. Those tires are now sitting in my garage next to the just-arrived Alzor 628 wheels (5-arm rotors in gunmetal), waiting for my S4 to arrive.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am running the 18x8 et35 Alzor 349 from ECSTuning with 245/40/18 Michelin Alpin PA3's (discontinued now that the PA4 is out). I live in PA so i also went with a winter performance tire because i will see more cold temperatures and some snow but nothing crazy. Wheels were $500 shipped and am very very happy with them. 18" tires are a lot cheaper than 19' plus i love just being able to swap wheels.

Audi B8 S4 Quattro 3.0T Wheels Aftermarket Alloys Alzor Wheels 18 inch - 349A-8 - 18" Style 349 Wheels - Set Of Four - ES#2713035

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel Setup Thread?