S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 Audi S4 - S Sport Package? Dynamic Steering?

Old 12-07-2016, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White Comet
I'm actually thinking of doing a base model + sports diff to keep it simple. Thoughts? Progressiv + White ext. + red interior + sports diff

Comes out to $59.9k CAD. I'm really not sure about those dinky looking 18" wheels though.
Thats a good idea. The progressiv still has a lot of options and the dinky 18'' wheels can be used as winter wheels. So you can still buy your ride better looking wheels for summer. ^^
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by White Comet
I'm actually thinking of doing a base model + sports diff to keep it simple. Thoughts? Progressiv + White ext. + red interior + sports diff

Comes out to $59.9k CAD. I'm really not sure about those dinky looking 18" wheels though.
I suggest picking the 19" Cavo wheels. Those definitely look better than the 18" standard wheels. Just adds CAD$800 to the price.

If you can, try to pick the Driver Assistance Package, too. The rear cross traffic alert, side assist, and exit warning are all very helpful tools when the situation calls for them. How many times have I almost hit by a car while backing up just because they refuse to stop and let me continue backing out of the parking space. I could not see them coming from my rear left because my head has already turned over the right shoulder after looking over the left shoulder. I wish my S5 had this rear cross traffic alert.

My S5 has side assist and they help me keep aware of the traffic situation in the car's blind spots. I still do shoulder checks but they give me a second opinion before I make my lane change maneuver.

Exit warning is another tool that I wish my S5 had. Very helpful to let me know if there is someone (cyclist or pedestrian or even a vehicle) approaching from behind before I open my door.

The driver assistance package costs an extra $1,500 but I think it is an essential package in newer vehicles.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Might consider the Cavo wheels over dynamic steering, bonus if dealer gives me both sets of wheels

as for DAP, think I'm going to skip that simply because where I live is very roomy and I don't go downtown so those narrow roads and parking wouldn't be a concern. The concern is height, being unable to see because being blocked by SUVs, think maybe I should consider the SQ5? Only if its cheaper because being made in Mexico...

But again the pricing is so close to an M2........
Old 12-12-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmp151
I ended up taking a look at the Canada config site and was impressed by the Magma Red napa leather interior (picture below), looks a heck of a lot nicer then the 2 tone version from the last model. So I updated my order as follows, curious to get folks thoughts on if I'm missing anything.

2018 S4 Prestige w/ Quattro Tiptronic
Mythos Black Metallic
Magma Red Napa Leather
Brushed Aluminum Inlay (Standard)
S Sport package (includes Sport Adaptive Damping Suspension, Sport Rear Differential, Red Brake Calipers)
Driver Assistance Package
19" 5-Spoke-V-Design Wheels
Audi Beam Rings*

*Currently not available for ordering (hoping this option opens up in the near future).

Magma Red really does look nice in the new model. It fits the contemporary interior.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Help with 2018 Audi S4 options!

Hey guys, there seems to be some good knowledge here regarding the 2018 S4 options, and I could use some feedback. I've put in an order for a 2018 S4 in Canada configured like this (April/May delivery):

My 2018 Audi S4
  • top "Tecknik" trim level (as best as I can tell the top CA "Technik" trim level maps to the US "Prestige" trim plus cold weather package, high beam assist, nappa, 19" Cavo. There are differences, see standard configs for US/CA)
  • Daytona Grey
  • Sport Diff

That's it... that all I've configured in my build so far.

For reference, the US order guide is here:
2018 Audi S4 Order Guide - QuattroWorld

Canadian spec Tecknik standard features are here:
S4 Sedan > Audi Canada

Generally, the Tecknik trim level seems to include some stuff that is optional in the US order guide, and the US standard prestige options includes some standard stuff that is optional in the Tecknik trim line.

This Tecknik trim level includes as standard:
19" Cavo wheels/summers
B/O sound
MMI
heated front seats
park sensors
high beam assist
virtual cockpit
top view cam
pre sense rear
exit warning
rear cross traffic alert
side assist
ambient lighting
audi connect
power heated mirrors
..and all the other basic options you would expect.

The main options available to me on top of this top Tecknik level trim are:
  1. sport diff ($1900)
  2. dynamic steering ($1500)
  3. S adaptive suspension ($1000)
  4. head up display ($1100)
  5. red calipers ($500)
  6. carbon inlays ($900)
  7. advance driver assistance package (includes adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assist, active lane assist, traffic sign recognition, pre sense city, pre sense front) ($2100)
  8. heated rear seats ($350)
  9. rear side airbags ($500)

So I added the Sport Diff as that sounds really cool to me, and I've heard it is a "must have". Fine.

But I'm wondering if there are any other "must haves" I should add to my build. I thinking about whether I would miss the adaptive suspension (ADS) and/or the dynamic steering if I pass on them.

I find it interesting that in the US the sport diff, ADS, and red calipers are a package, whereas in Canada they are all separate options. Also the dynamic steering pre-requires the sport diff (not sure why). So I'm wondering if just getting the sport diff on its own makes sense, or if I will regret this later.

In the winter, does the ADS help save your rims and tires? We do tend to get rougher roads in the winter with some potholes, though I plan to put on 18" winters. Does the ADS make for a firmer or softer ride over the standard S suspension? I think I will like to drive the car in both sport and comfort modes... but my wife will sometimes drive the car, with 2 hands on the wheel always below the speed limit, and it definitely has to be a regular smooth ride for her.

The only reason to omit some of these options is the extra dollars I guess... as the cost does get up there if you pile everything on.

I'm also thinking about the "advanced driver assistance" package and whether that's a must have. Some of these features appear as standard on the US model.

Ideally, I could test drive a 2018 S4 with and without all this stuff on it... but there are no demo models available yet, and as I need a replacement car I put in my order last week, though I can still change my build. So realistically, I kind of need to anticipate in advance the options I think I might need or want.

I've never owned an Audi... My current car is 2004 BMW 325xi (E46). I really like this ride, but the car is getting old... I like the hydraulic steering on my E46, and I've had trouble finding the feel of it replicated in any other car I have driven. I also like the firm yet comfortable ride in the E46. Going forward though I really liked the 2017 A4 interior, and the extra S4 power is going to fun too. The new BMW 340i, which I view as the competitor to the S4, I really didn't care much for when I test drove it. So Audi it is!

Thanks for any insight and comments! Really appreciate it. -Glenner.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Read my post #7. If you like good driving dynamics then the Dynamic Steering is a must. It is more lively, direct and provides more feedback. Coming from a BMW I think you'll like it more than the standard steering. The reason it requires the sport diff is because they work together in combating understeer.

Adaptive suspension is subjective. I personally prefer a properly tuned fixed suspension with properly matched springs, dampers and sway bars. One of my concerns with adaptive suspensions like the one in the S4 is that the springs and sway bars are fixed, so they need to be compromised to work with the variable damping. In the B8 that led to more pronounced understeer as the rear sway bar was weaker to provide adequate comfort in Comfort mode. I'm hearing good things about the improved adaptive suspension in the new S4, but it's still only variable damping.

I think it comes down to what kind of driving you do. If you mostly DD the car, don't go to the track and rarely hit up the canyons, then being able to adjust the comfort level is a nice thing to have and potential compromises in the suspension are probably less of a concern.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by glenner
Hey guys, there seems to be some good knowledge here regarding the 2018 S4 options, and I could use some feedback. I've put in an order for a 2018 S4 in Canada configured like this (April/May delivery):

My 2018 Audi S4
  • top "Tecknik" trim level (as best as I can tell the top CA "Technik" trim level maps to the US "Prestige" trim plus cold weather package, high beam assist, nappa, 19" Cavo. There are differences, see standard configs for US/CA)
  • Daytona Grey
  • Sport Diff

That's it... that all I've configured in my build so far.

The main options available to me on top of this top Tecknik level trim are:
  1. sport diff ($1900)
  2. dynamic steering ($1500)
  3. S adaptive suspension ($1000)
  4. head up display ($1100)
  5. red calipers ($500)
  6. carbon inlays ($900)
  7. advance driver assistance package (includes adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assist, active lane assist, traffic sign recognition, pre sense city, pre sense front) ($2100)
  8. heated rear seats ($350)
  9. rear side airbags ($500)

So I added the Sport Diff as that sounds really cool to me, and I've heard it is a "must have". Fine.

But I'm wondering if there are any other "must haves" I should add to my build. I thinking about whether I would miss the adaptive suspension (ADS) and/or the dynamic steering if I pass on them.

I find it interesting that in the US the sport diff, ADS, and red calipers are a package, whereas in Canada they are all separate options. Also the dynamic steering pre-requires the sport diff (not sure why). So I'm wondering if just getting the sport diff on its own makes sense, or if I will regret this later.

In the winter, does the ADS help save your rims and tires? We do tend to get rougher roads in the winter with some potholes, though I plan to put on 18" winters. Does the ADS make for a firmer or softer ride over the standard S suspension? I think I will like to drive the car in both sport and comfort modes... but my wife will sometimes drive the car, with 2 hands on the wheel always below the speed limit, and it definitely has to be a regular smooth ride for her.

The only reason to omit some of these options is the extra dollars I guess... as the cost does get up there if you pile everything on.

I'm also thinking about the "advanced driver assistance" package and whether that's a must have. Some of these features appear as standard on the US model.

I've never owned an Audi... My current car is 2004 BMW 325xi (E46). I really like this ride, but the car is getting old... I like the hydraulic steering on my E46, and I've had trouble finding the feel of it replicated in any other car I have driven. I also like the firm yet comfortable ride in the E46. Going forward though I really liked the 2017 A4 interior, and the extra S4 power is going to fun too. The new BMW 340i, which I view as the competitor to the S4, I really didn't care much for when I test drove it. So Audi it is!

Thanks for any insight and comments! Really appreciate it. -Glenner.
Glenner, congrats on placing your order for a B9 S4 with Technik package. Nice place to start and, as you mentioned, you can still tweak the configuration, if needed. Daytona Grey is a very nice pearlescent finish!

I am responding to your inquiries based on my preferences and the reason behind them. I have played around with the Audi S4 configurator a lot and always visualise what bare minimum equipment I will want if I placed an order today. I do this just to kill time and for kicks. My 2016 S5 is still brand new and I plan to keep it for several years.

Here's my preferences:

1. Sport Diff Option: I definitely will get this option, if you can afford it. It makes the vehicle more sought-after in the future especially when you plan to sell it privately in the used car market. If you just plan to trade it in, I would just skip it. The Sport Diff makes a difference when you negotiate corners. It really is 'slot-car' fast when going around tight corners. But, if you just do daily driving and do not care about how it carves out corners, you can skip this option. I prefer to have it even if I do not do much corner carving.

2. Dynamic Steering: Changes the steering ratio depending on your speed. Based on my experience with the dynamic steering in my S5, I would skip this option especially if you mostly use it for daily driving.

3. S-Adaptive Suspension: Changes the ride quality of the suspension. I would definitely consider this option. I like playing around with the suspension characteristics once in a while. This adds a whole new dimension to the car's character. If you are tired of driving in dynamic mode, you can switch it to comfort mode. It's like having two slightly different cars in one. If your wife will appreciate a softer ride then the comfort setting would suit her. She might find the fixed sport suspension stiff for her taste.

4. Heads-up display: I consider this a distraction. There are too many bright stuff on the dash already. You have the Virtual Cockpit which is already bright plus the MMI display. Whatever is displayed on the H/U display can be seen on the Virtual Cockpit. I feel it is redundant. But, it does help you from moving your gaze away from the road by keeping pertinent info within your visual periphery. But, a bright display like the Virutal Cockpit will already act as a distraction. One might as well just glance at it for info.

5. Red Calipers: Not essential. I like the black look. It is a nice-to-have but I will skip it.

6. Carbon inlays: I prefer this inlay over the brushed aluminum standard inlay. This carbon inlay will give a more subtle contrast line compared to the abrupt contrast of the Alu. But, it depends on your taste and preference.

7. Advance Driver Assistance Pack: The only things I need in this pack are Traffic Jam Assist, Pre-Sense City and Pre-Sense Front. I see these as valuable tools especially now when more pedestrians and drivers are self-centric and have the 'me first' attitude. They no longer know how to give way and get upset when you have to stop them in their tracks because, uh, my car is already half-way through the back-up maneuver when they show up and still insist to cross you path. Pre-sense will help alert me when these bone-heads are around my blind-spot. As for Adaptive Cruise, I do not drive long highways that much so I will rarely use it. But, since it is bundled with this package since the other features use the same sensors as ACC to work, I will pick this package. Also, it will make my car's tech current and relevant for several years especially when there's a lot of buzz about upcoming autonomous cars and tech.

8. Heated Rear Seats: Since it's a sedan, I'd get this option so any rear passengers will have a way to heat up their tush if they need it. Heck, I chose heater rear seats for my S5 even if I don't expect anyone to ride in the back just for the heck of having those switches instead of a blank cover.

9. Rear Side Air Bags: I would get this option, too, especially if you expect to take passengers often. If you feel they offer more protection for your passengers, go for it. It is a sedan anyway so you might as well have some extra rear passenger protection.

On ADS, ADS does not help you save your rims or tires. The way you drive and the quality of your local roads will dictate whether your rims will get bent up or your tires will get damaged. ADS just allows the driver and passengers the option to switch the driving characteristics of the vehicle. Adjustable features will include: Throttle response, Suspension (with the adaptive option), steering ratio (with the dynamic option), and sport diff characteristics. You will have several modes including Dynamic, Auto, Comfort, and Individual. Not sure if the North American model will get the Eco mode.

I hope my opinions will help you figure out whether you want or need any of the options for the B9 S4.

Last edited by plat27265; 01-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
2. Dynamic Steering: Changes the steering ratio depending on your speed. Based on my experience with the dynamic steering in my S5, I would skip this option especially if you mostly use it for daily driving.
That's an interesting take on the Dynamic Steering. DD is actually where it shines the most, because in Auto mode it adapts from direct and light for easy maneuvering and parking, to indirect and tight for stable straight line travel on the highway. In Dynamic mode it locks the ratio for a consistent direct response (has a more direct ratio than the standard steering) when driving sporty with frequent changes in speed, and Comfort mode acts mostly like Auto mode, but with lighter steering effort. One of the things I like the most is that in Comfort mode it doesn't get loosey goosey and vague on the highway like the standard steering tends to. It still maintains the indirect straight line stability, but is much more comfortable for long distance traveling. Auto mode gets quite tight at highway speed. Now, that's my experience in the RS5, where it's probably tuned a little differently and the suspension geometry is different, but generally that's what Dynamic Steering is all about. I found the best mode for my style of DD is with Dynamic Steering in Auto and Sport Diff in Dynamic and then if I hit up the canyons I put everything in Dynamic and if I go on a long highway trip I put everything in Comfort. I've driven 4s, 5s and 6s with the standard steering and I wouldn't choose it over the Dynamic Steering.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

On my Boxster I have too many options and I can't stop myself from playing with them while I'm driving. Rough road ahead - I'm pushing the pasm button for a firmer ride, then I get back to soft then hard again. And there are the sport and sport plus buttons, pse button, the spoiler can lift up or get lower on the push of a button, etc... It all sounds cool and fun at first but it's pure distraction. At least for me it is. My (nearly) fully equiped S4 will soon arrive to me and now that I'm thinking back on it I probably should have done like White Comet suggested: base model + sport differential. It is the essential and a brilliant way to built it. You save a lot of money and lose the distracting gadgets. The equipement on the base model is interesting enough.

Now I did not drive the S4 and maybe it will feel different when I do. I hope I will love the suspension and the assisted steering wheel and all the gadgets for sure... Maybe I will do the same and won't stop playing with those damn buttons XD. I don't want to give any lessons and if you have the money and don't mind and do want the extra options then go for it XD

The only "essential option" on the car for me is the sport diff. It is essential on any car. If we'd have the Matrix lights here in Canada that would also be great.

Note: I'm probably still on my blue monday. Might need some John Lee Hooker or Steve Hill blues! XD
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's an interesting take on the Dynamic Steering. DD is actually where it shines the most, because in Auto mode it adapts from direct and light for easy maneuvering and parking, to indirect and tight for stable straight line travel on the highway. In Dynamic mode it locks the ratio for a consistent direct response (has a more direct ratio than the standard steering) when driving sporty with frequent changes in speed, and Comfort mode acts mostly like Auto mode, but with lighter steering effort. One of the things I like the most is that in Comfort mode it doesn't get loosey goosey and vague on the highway like the standard steering tends to. It still maintains the indirect straight line stability, but is much more comfortable for long distance traveling. Auto mode gets quite tight at highway speed. Now, that's my experience in the RS5, where it's probably tuned a little differently and the suspension geometry is different, but generally that's what Dynamic Steering is all about. I found the best mode for my style of DD is with Dynamic Steering in Auto and Sport Diff in Dynamic and then if I hit up the canyons I put everything in Dynamic and if I go on a long highway trip I put everything in Comfort. I've driven 4s, 5s and 6s with the standard steering and I wouldn't choose it over the Dynamic Steering.
Swiss, I guess you have a point there. However, for some reason (personally), I feel that I could have lived without it. Dynamic mode really makes the steering feel heavy, too heavy for my taste. I find Auto is quite a good setting for my daily needs. But, on the other hand, I like changing my car's driving characteristics once in a while to make my commutes interesting and I do not regret choosing the Dynamic Steering option. But, if I am on a budget and trying to keep the cost down on a new car, I would be OK with out. The OP did express his desire to keep costs down so my opinions were crafted with that in mind.

Search this Thread