S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Confused about why the S4 is so "secret"

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
There are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread. Audi has said the S4 will go on sale in Q1 of 2017, and it's only the third week of January. So perhaps we just need to wait a little longer and see...
Yes, you're right there is a lot of assuming going around in here, but you may be missing the point of my original question. Just because audi said something will go on sale, doesnt explain why there is a marked absence of hype around it. Its like audi marketing went on vacation before they started designing the S4 and when they got back, no one bothered to let them know about it.

Theres just simply NO marketing of the S4 in the US. How do they expect to sell cars(besides to us audi fan boys) if they don't generate any hype?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepOvertone
Yes, you're right there is a lot of assuming going around in here, but you may be missing the point of my original question. Just because audi said something will go on sale, doesnt explain why there is a marked absence of hype around it. Its like audi marketing went on vacation before they started designing the S4 and when they got back, no one bothered to let them know about it.

Theres just simply NO marketing of the S4 in the US. How do they expect to sell cars(besides to us audi fan boys) if they don't generate any hype?
  • They don't make any money selling an S4 in the US
  • The S4 model accounts for about 5% of Audi's global A4/S4 sales
  • They are about to release the A5/S5 Sportback, which is a new model for the US
  • They have just launched the new Q5, which is their largest selling model globally, and probably in the US
  • And this new Q5, specifically those destined for the US market, are being built in a new $1.3 billion factory (admittedly much cheaper than their ~$13 billion and rising fines/law suits/legal fees in the US) in Mexico to try and get some margin into their US business. Except it looks like they may now face a 35% tariff on those cars. Better try and sell as many as possible before the tariff arrives
  • They have had their budgets slashed in all departments, including marketing.
  • The S4 is on back order in Germany. The German market for Audi is bigger than the US market, and the unit margin much higher
  • CARB has decided to take over from the EPA (who aren't sure what their new job will be, now that greenhouse gas emissions are off the table), and is holding up vehicles in port rather than release them
  • The DoJ is busy issuing arrest warrants for VAG Group executives, and managed to nab one in Miami airport. Straight to jail, no bail
Apart from this, I can't think of one good reason why they don't have front page ads and prime time TV spots saturating the US mass media
Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
This sounds about right.
And B7 to B8 went from 4.2 V8 to 3.0 V6 but was still faster. (That's something to talk about. As was the longitudinal DSG at the time.) The B9 maintains the 3.0 displacement swaps the supercharger for a single turbo resulting in the exact same HP they managed out of the previous gen SQ5. 354 HP albeit with a very minimal 20lb-ft extra torque. (Many buyers will just know that the "old" S4 had a V6 and the new one does too...) And they stepped away from DSG back to the ZF 8-spd. It just all seems lackluster and not as exciting as a new US model S5 Sportback. This is just theory coming from previous S4 owner and Audi enthusiast. Only Audi really knows why there is less info and marketing push for the S4.

Other than the sheetmetal exterior and some minor internal dimension tweeks, the S4 and S5 sportback are identical cars underneath and across the dash. Same engine, same transmission, everything. The ZF8 change is controversial for some, but has been highlighted as exceptionally fast (200ms upshifts) and smooth by car journal test drives. I think there are very many people that would disagree with any claims of not being "exciting." The lack of communication from Audi on this car is perplexing.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
[LIST][*]They don't make any money selling an S4 in the US
Apart from this, I can't think of one good reason why they don't have front page ads and prime time TV spots saturating the US mass media
If Audi does not make money selling the S4 in the US, it must lose a significant amount on each unit sold in Canada given its pricing and current exchange rates, yet the S4 has been available to configure on the Audi Canada website for a couple of months. No one here expects a major marketing effort, but AoA cannot even update its website or release pricing for the S4. The past year has demonstrated that VAG is not a well run company, so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.

Last edited by JD15; 01-23-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
If Audi does not make money selling the S4 in the US, it must lose a significant amount on each unit sold in Canada given its pricing and current exchange rates, yet the S4 has been available to configure on the Audi Canada website for a couple of months. No one here expects a major marketing effort, but AoA cannot even update its website or release pricing for the S4. The past year has demonstrated that VAG is not a well run company, so maybe this shouldn't be surprising.
I was under the impression that Canadian cars are distributed by Audi of America. If so, then the delay is an issue specific to the US.

Regardless, I have heard nothing to suggest that there was any major media campaign in Canada to support the S4 launch. And that was the point - why no marketing hype for the S4 model.

It does seem odd to release an order guide for the US considerably in advance of when AoA are in a position to both advise customers of the cost and actually place a factory order. I'd be frustrated, too. But then I think this is a dealer communication, they get leaked here to a small group of Audi enthusiasts, who then get excited / frustrated. As far as the general population goes, until a model exists on the website or in a dealer's showroom, it doesn't exist.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Other than the sheetmetal exterior and some minor internal dimension tweeks, the S4 and S5 sportback are identical cars underneath and across the dash. Same engine, same transmission, everything. The ZF8 change is controversial for some, but has been highlighted as exceptionally fast (200ms upshifts) and smooth by car journal test drives. I think there are very many people that would disagree with any claims of not being "exciting." The lack of communication from Audi on this car is perplexing.
Must be particularly frustrating for you sitting (or flying around) in Germany unable to buy a car which is now appearing on the roads around you.

Car Magazine in the UK just published a review on the S5 Sportback in which the reviewer trashed the car almost purely on the basis of the transmission. He said it would be much better to buy an A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI quattro, as that came with the S tronic, which he greatly preferred. As per most UK reviews, they always benchmark to the "more engaging" BMW models, which of course use the same transmission.

Bit extreme, I thought. But I have to say, having driven several iterations, that I prefer the old engine/transmission combination. But everything else is such an improvement, not such a big deal. BMW seems to have better shift maps for the ZF8HP, maybe Audi can work on this. Or at least pay ZF to, I think Audi have sent all their engineers to Belgium to fast track e-trons.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:32 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I don't really need a car journal to tell me about the shift times of the ZF. I can just step outside and drive my SQ5. I know they have made improvements in regular torque converter automatics, but it is nothing to write home about...the introduction of the S-tronic in the B8 S4 was new and exciting compared to the outgoing ZF 6 speed.
Now for the B9 they finally put the S-tronic in the A4 and go back to using a torque converter in the S4... Albeit a very good transmission, but at the end of the day it is the same trans in nearly every Audi/MB/BMW/Chrysler...etc., etc. so there is no press to be had there.
"Extra extra read all about it the new S4 will come with a very good automatic transmission." ok, that is expected, not exceptional.
On the other hand the S5 sportback, while sure being nearly identical to an S4 underneath, does have a different exterior than an A4/S4 and is a completely new model to the US market. Based on the stellar sales of the A7/S7/RS7 a surefire hit for Audi so it is easy to see why it might garner more attention. Audi will gladly sell more S5 sportbacks at a markup over the S4.