S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S adaptativ damping suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S adaptativ damping suspension?

I can't find much information on how this adaptativ suspension works. Where I'm bying my car one of the guy told me that the suspension can be moved lower or higher depending on the setting that you chose. I thought it was "adaptativ" like on a magnetic suspension (pasm) on porsches or corvettes, etc.

I'd love to have a good read on all the specs of the car but they seem to be hard to find.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When talking about adjustable options from OEMs, the two commonly-used types are air suspensions and magnetorheological suspensions.

The former uses air chambers and an air compressor to provide adjustments to both suspensions stiffness and ride height. This type of system is very effective in applications where ride height adjustability and a broader range of suspension feel is preferred over ultimate handling quality.

The latter uses suspension fluid which has been impregnated with iron particles. This allows the system to use electric charge to cause the iron-infused suspension fluid to thicken instantaneously, making it travel through carefullly-designed fluid passages more slowly (or more quickly, when the electric charge is reduced and the fluid "thins"). This type of system is advantageous when you want to balance ultimate handling with compliance and comfort, but offers nothing for ride height adjustment.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebast007
I can't find much information on how this adaptativ suspension works. Where I'm bying my car one of the guy told me that the suspension can be moved lower or higher depending on the setting that you chose. I thought it was "adaptativ" like on a magnetic suspension (pasm) on porsches or corvettes, etc.

I'd love to have a good read on all the specs of the car but they seem to be hard to find.
Audi publish a lot of information on their global sites, in English as well as German. Start here, and the "chapters" are selected from the Contents box on the left side:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-segment-5616

And they also have a Technology site:
Audi Technology Portal

If you search in the Chassis section, you will see a section on suspension control systems, and within that an article (and video) on the B9 A5 which demonstrates how the system works.

There has also been quite a lot posted on these forums re. the B9 adaptive suspension options, Search and you will find them.

The adaptive suspension uses dampers made with electronic valves that vary the hydraulic pressure. The system is multi-valved, and there is a master level that determines Comfort vs Dynamic mode, but the system also reacts constantly based on road conditions, vehicle dynamics (using a variety of sensors). It is controlled by a master chassis ECU, which is new for the B9.

The springs are fixed, the suspension cannot adjust ride height. The dampers, which are called CDC (continuous damping control) are made for Audi by ZF Sachs. Someone on the forums has already posted a link to an older ZF Sachs video which comprehensively demonstrates CDC (about 3 generations back) at work.

Porsche use PASM the way Audi uses quattro - there are many different types. Some Porsches also use CDC dampers. AFAIK, Audi only use magnetic dampers in certain Haldex based quattro models, eg S3, TT, and the R8. They also use several other systems depending on the model, such as DRC on the 5/6/7 RS models (perhaps not in NA, it is quite extreme )

As jsilas has just said, only adaptive air suspension changes ride height (on the fly).

But you are right in general principle vs what the dealer representative told you. More homework needed for them.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Super interesting! Thanks for the informations, guys.
And thanks for the websites' links, I will read them ^^
Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

FWIW and as a point of interest the Audi air suspension uses the same CDC dampers just in conjunction with the adjustable air springs.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, there are different adaptive suspension technologies. I'm personally not a big fan of fixed spring, adaptive damper suspensions such as the one in the S4. They end up being a compromise. The springs have to be soft enough to provide enough comfort in Comfort mode and they get smaller sway bars for the same reason leading to more understeer. The outgoing B8 S4 with adaptive suspension understeers noticeably more than the fixed suspension S4.

The only such suspension I would consider is the DRC in the RS models (unfortunately wasn't available on the US RS5). The DRC is not about comfort. It's about body control. It is essentially an active roll bar to control squat, dive and roll. Comfort is dialed in by allowing more squat, dive and roll.

Air suspension is the only one that adjusts the springs and dampers, so they are always optimally paired. However, even air suspension is a compromise when it comes to handling. Porsche seems to do a great job with the air suspension in the Panamera, but Aud's air suspension models have horrible body roll, even the RS7.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Unfortunately, the Sport Differential will only be available in an option package containing the adjustable suspension in the US, per the recently released order guide. Due to the compromises mentioned above, I would prefer the Sport Differential with fixed suspension and would save some money.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Unfortunately, the Sport Differential will only be available in an option package containing the adjustable suspension in the US, per the recently released order guide. Due to the compromises mentioned above, I would prefer the Sport Differential with fixed suspension and would save some money.
Yeah I saw that and also thought that this should not be sold in a package for the people that don't want or need this suspension setup. For me I am still going to order my car with the adaptativ suspension. I love the PASM on my Porsche. The dampers realy get hard on the sport and sport + modes and it's very noticeable and in normal mode they are soft and the springs work harder. In the audi tech portal website, in the description and video, it looks prety close to what PASM does.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebast007
Yeah I saw that and also thought that this should not be sold in a package for the people that don't want or need this suspension setup. For me I am still going to order my car with the adaptativ suspension. I love the PASM on my Porsche. The dampers realy get hard on the sport and sport + modes and it's very noticeable and in normal mode they are soft and the springs work harder. In the audi tech portal website, in the description and video, it looks prety close to what PASM does.
Porsche also use OEM ZF Sachs EDC dampers on some of their models, not sure if that includes the Boxster.

Option bundles usually brings the benefit of much lower price, but also a certain inflexibility. Can't have one without the other.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

It's also the "S Sport" Package, so it makes sense for it to include the items that enhance performance. And then the red brake calipers serve as an identifier that the car is equipped with that package.

Quick Reply: S adaptativ damping suspension?