S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Why 4 exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why 4 exhausts?

Anyone know why all of Audi's S models have 4 exhaust ports? The S4 is the performance equivalent to the 335i/340i but they only have 2 exhaust ports.

More curious than anything. Obviously 4 looks better than 2. Mercedes is going the 4 route as well.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You answered your own question.... it is all for looks.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Quattro is Italian for 4.

When you start to say RS in German, your mouth forms an oval. The RS models use oval exhaust tips.

On many of Mercedes' models, the exhaust ports (tail pipe/exhaust outlet/muffler tips?) aren't connected to anything at all. They are dummy outlets.

But to be serious, the origins are likely to have been to reduce exhaust back pressure whilst keeping the gauge of the rear muffler outlets reasonable.

Now it is just a design signature for S models, as is silver coloured exterior rear vision mirrors.

BMW do use 4 tail pipes on the M3 and M4, which also use the 6 cylinder in-line engine. That is their M car signature.

Both Mercedes and BMW have been struggling to counter Audi's very clear and consistent A/S/RS model designation. Mercedes did a false start with the C450 AMG. But this confused traditional Mercedes buyers - particularly in NA, because they got rid of the C400 in NA (certainly the US, and I am assuming your market, too) at the same time. A noisy exhaust and stiffer suspension was not what they wanted from a Mercedes. M-B did not do this in Europe - they kept both models. Now they have decided to change the approach to Mercedes-AMG C43 (by example), except this has now confused AMG buyers because it lacks the "hand-built" engines that were a signature of AMG. Frankly, Mercedes are making a hash of the whole sub-branding thing, and risk diluting AMG in the process.

BMW have been just as confused. They have tried a few Mxxx (eg M235, M550D) models, but there is no consistency with what they actually do, and again it is seen as a dilution of what Mx (eg M3) stands for.

Whereas most interested buyers will understand A4, S4, RS4 without further explanation required - it is just much better sub-branding. And it has been successful, which is why Mercedes and BMW have been trying to follow, badly.

Probably more information than you wanted, but it is an interesting question.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Because 4 > 2 and more is always better.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Both Mercedes and BMW have been struggling to counter Audi's very clear and consistent A/S/RS model designation. Mercedes did a false start with the C450 AMG. But this confused traditional Mercedes buyers - particularly in NA, because they got rid of the C400 in NA (certainly the US, and I am assuming your market, too) at the same time. A noisy exhaust and stiffer suspension was not what they wanted from a Mercedes. M-B did not do this in Europe - they kept both models. Now they have decided to change the approach to Mercedes-AMG C43 (by example), except this has now confused AMG buyers because it lacks the "hand-built" engines that were a signature of AMG. Frankly, Mercedes are making a hash of the whole sub-branding thing, and risk diluting AMG in the process.

BMW have been just as confused. They have tried a few Mxxx (eg M235, M550D) models, but there is no consistency with what they actually do, and again it is seen as a dilution of what Mx (eg M3) stands for.
It seems like M-B and BMW are on the same confusing marketing track - applying their performance sub-brand label to the high-end of the non-performance lineup. Hence the new AMG C43 and AMG E43. Likewise, there's the new M760i, M240i and soon-to-be-released M550i. All a royal muck-up imo.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-16-2016 at 07:38 PM.