S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

You'll love the Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The switch from the DSG to the 8-speed Tip isn't ideal -- speaking as one who has both a DSG S4 and a Tip SQ5 (both 2014's). Recently our SQ5 had its Tip software replaced as part of a recall. I believe the low speed jerkiness of the Tip has now been banished.

I have driven the 2014 and 2015 S6 and have also driven a 2016 A6 3.0T and a new 3.0T A8L (as loaners). I have not driven the RS7, which, unlike the S6 does NOT have the DSG.

I have read the RS7 test reports.

With all of the above as data points, it is my opinion -- today, at least -- that the DSG is the best transmission I have ever had the pleasure to have driven. Of my 32 or 33 (if you count my wife's SQ5) Audis, more than 75% of them have been manual transmission; and I must admit the stick shift Audis (and I had a manual trans S6, that I loved) have a special place in my auto-driving experience because they are "the most fun."

However, the best performing transmission, easily, is the DSG. The speed that it shifts, the instant gear changes afforded by the paddles are so superior to the manual transmission it isn't even close.

Here is the comment likely to get folks to wonder if I am sober as I write this: While the DSG is superior to the manual transmission in every way (but fun), well -- so is the SQ5's Tiptronic. The 8-speed Tip as programmed in the SQ5 outshifts, outperforms, generally out-does manual transmissions.

Yet, I do NOT understand why the S4 will not have the ever so slightly superior DSG in the upcoming B9 model. I have to assume it is a factor of warranty costs, long term customer satisfaction, etc.

"No one" (statistically insignificant, any way) will buy a manual transmission anymore. Indeed, the uptake of manual transmission, in recent years, has dropped to below 3% -- and I can only assume it is close enough to zero % these days, that dropping manuals altogether is really not much, if any risk for the car manufacturers, Audi included.

The DSG, if you axe me, would be a great transmission offering to offer to stalwart manual-only prospective customers; the 8-speed, despite my love of the DSG, would not deter me from acquiring my fourth S car.

I have to ask if anyone reading this has driven (for more than 2 seconds) an 8-speed Tip equipped RS7?

I am tempted to say, "If it is a good performer in a $120K RS7, one would imagine it will also be a good performer in the S4."

If you are new to Audi, you can, right now, order a brand new S4 with either the 6-speed manual or the 7-speed DSG. Using my own money, I'd go for the DSG hands down -- if I cared about performance -- but I, as the saying goes, "Wouldn't kick the S4 with a manual transmission out of bed for eating crackers -- I'd bring the crackers, in fact."

Your opinion(s) and mine do have equal validity -- we may be persuasive (or not) to those who have never owned Audis. My experiences lead me to conclude that the DSG is the best transmission Audi offers, but that the 8-speed Tip does continue to improve little-by-little, bit-by-bit via programming that makes the Tip emulate the DSG so much so that several professional test reports have commented the testers liked the 8-speed so much that they actually thought it was another "fine example of the Audi DSG implementation."

Drive -- if you can -- an S class Audi with the various transmissions, back to back (on the same day, over the same test route, etc). I am confident you will be able to discern some differences, but I also am confident you will feel the Tip is hardly a huge step down.

My wife now prefers her SQ5's Tip to my S4's DSG -- take that as simply another data-point. But also do us all a favor and find out why more than one auto journalist has commented that the RS7's transmission bests the S7. Beats the hell out of me.

The new S4 does seem like it advances the S narrative -- I for one, will not hesitate to acquire one (after a test drive, of course) unless somehow the transmission programmers have taken a step or two backwards.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

My honest opinion is it is more about mass appeal and perceived luxury than any technical reason. Similar to markcincinnati I have driven them all except the RS7. (2012 S4, 2014 SQ5, 2016 S6.) While the DSG is good for me and many with a slant to the sporty side however it is still widely considered too "quirky" and not fitting of a luxury car for the American market and people who generally don't understand the tech of it. I think moving to a traditional tip that is as good as the SQ5 or RS7 will allow them to get those last few holdouts and sell more cars. They may lose the purist manual drivers but as pointed out they are done with them anyway and if they can pick up more share of the people who dismissed the automatic S4 as not luxurious enough for a $60k car, then that makes sense.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The curious thing is the 2017 A4 will be using an "all-new" 7-speed DSG. One thing to note is the DSG fitted to the B8.5 S4 was fairly heavy (I think curb weights for DSG-equipped cars vs. 6-speed cars was probably in the neighborhood of 150 lbs+).

I believe the 8-speed is probably significantly lighter and/or smaller than the DSG from the B8.5. The B9 A4 DSG is probably more specific to that application, and might be what some news sources were talking about when they said the DSG couldn't handle the increased torque from the turbo 3.0L in the B9 S4.

It just seems odd that the A4 got a DSG while the seemingly sportier S4 got the more conventional transmission.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I think the A4 DSG will be for FWD models only since the CVT has been dropped.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car and Driver drove a 2017 A4 with quattro and DSG.

2017 Audi A4 First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

"...the only version available for us to drive was the TFSI Quattro with the DSG automatic."
Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

3.0T manual > 3.0T DSG > 3.0T tip
Old 10-03-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some Questions

Does the tip have paddles?

Can you put the transmission in a gear and will it stay there? We live in the mountains. Auto transmissions typically shift up on their own when going down steep hills. This necessitates frequent braking. Braking downhill shifts weight to the front wheels and upsets the balance of the car...especially on slick roads. Auto transmissions dont work for us.

We have a mt in our 2014 S4. The tranny shifts like butter. We love it and the supercharged engine.

We also have an RS5 2015 which only comes with a dct. I drive in manual sport modes and it works great. Holds the car back going down hill just like a manual.

Tip may be fine for the Autobahn (in dry weather) but question how good it is in the slick and mountain driving. I am not interested in a tranny that upshifts to save gas. How does the car know l am coming to a hill or about to pass someone? Rolls Royce has the capability to do this using GPS. It means less driver involvement which is something that is of absolutely no interest to us.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In many tiptronic models the sport package includes paddles. Even without paddles in all tipp models if the shift lever is placed in "tip" or manual mode, the transmission will stay in the selected gear until it's changed by the driver. The exceptions are if redline is achieved, it will upshift to the next gear, the gear is to low and it will down shift to prevent the engine from lugging or if the car comes to a stop where it will revert to 1st gear.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In many tiptronic models the sport package includes paddles. Even without paddles in all tipp models if the shift lever is placed in "tip" or manual mode, the transmission will stay in the selected gear until it's changed by the driver. The exceptions are if redline is achieved, it will upshift to the next gear, the gear is to low and it will down shift to prevent the engine from lugging or if the car comes to a stop where it will revert to 1st gear.
Thanks. I feel better now.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will NEVER replace a 6MT. I think I could live with a DSG, But the true AT would just be too boring to drive for me. No B9 S4 in my future.

Quick Reply: You'll love the Tiptronic