S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

You'll love the Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You'll love the Tiptronic

Recently I switched from an 2015 S6 to an 2016 SQ5.

I have to say you will really like the Tip and not miss the DSG at all after driving for a bit. There is none of that lag that is so ever present in the DSG in normal driving.

At 10/10ths the Tip also does an admiral job of ripping off nice and fast up and downshifts and makes all the right noises.

I would consider this an upgrade!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I have both a 2014 S4 and SQ5, while the 8-speed is the best Tiptronic ever, the DSG is the quickest shifting transmission I have ever driven (and I have had 32 Audis).

I am in no way saying I will not love the new S4 8-speed (I assume it is a Tip), but the DSG is so quick it is amazing -- and the paddle shifter gear changes with the DSG are just that split, split second quicker than the Tiptronic.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I won't disagree with you on the DSG being that much faster at the limit, my point is that the Tip is a lot more liveable and feels a lot better sorted. It's a minor point but I think it makes the drivetrain feel more expensive?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

To each his or her own, I think the DSG is a slightly sharper knife than the Tip -- I hate to in any way to find fault with the Tip, and I would not call my interpretation of the slight loss of precision I feel with the Tip anything other than personal preference.

I keep my program set to dynamic (Audi Drive Select) which means the DSG is in S mode -- I just leave it there.

To get the kind of performance that feels as crisp in the SQ5, I find that I have to switch between D and S and there is that slightly less than instantaneous paddle shift of the Tip.

To me the DSG is like the finest sharpest chef's knife where the Tip just doesn't have the same keen edge. I understand the software keeps closing the gap between the two transmissions making it very difficult to distinguish between the DSG and the Tip. My understanding, however, is that the Tip has software that has been programmed to make the Tip emulate the DSG, not the other way around.

Like I said, to each his/her own.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It looks like the double clutch is going to be a Porsche only thing, which makes sense because those are the track performance cars. A tiptronic is more reliable over a 250,000 miles horizon.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
It looks like the double clutch is going to be a Porsche only thing, which makes sense because those are the track performance cars. A tiptronic is more reliable over a 250,000 miles horizon.
Why do you say that? Audi still offers several models with DSG transmissions
Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

An article I read said the DSG couldn't handle the torque of the 3.0L turbo coming with the 2017 S4 but that didn't make sense to me since the S6/7 uses the DSG and makes over 400 ft/lbs.

I'm guessing the real reason is either a packaging thing to fit in the new platform, or the increased fuel economy (however slight that might be) of an 8-speed transmission over a 7-speed.

Last edited by blinsc; 09-17-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What I don't about this whole DSG bs is how Audi's TTV8 found in the S6 handles the torque and the S4 can't. It doesn't make sense. I will be even more suspicious if the S6 suddenly changes from DSG to 8 speed auto. To me it means they have some other reliability issues in regards to DSG that they aren't talking about. We are starting to see some of the older S4's having random DSG issues. I am hoping it doesn't turn out that the DSG is basically as reliable as the old ZF 5HP24A.

I am hoping that they will offer a 6 spd 3 pedal option because if they don't the S4 is dead to me. I regret getting my latest S4 in DSG its a car that (for me) needs to be had in stick.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your smoking something if you think the 8 speed is better than the DSG.

I own a '14 S4 and a '15 SQ5, not even in the same ball park.

Sure WOT upshifts may be fast but everywhere else the trans is no where near the speed and smoothness of the DSG. The shifts on the 8 speed in sport mode are incredibly harsh, especially at part throttle and the quick 2-3-4 shift for fuel economy at part throttle are terrible.

I just read the article on auto blog, no DSG, no replacement for my current S4 with a B9. It was bad enough they were going to the turbo from the SC.

Your S6 must have been one with the jerk/creep problem because on the S4 it is easily the best transmission I have driven. There is zero lag in sport mode.

Might as well go get a 3 series with better after market support.

It comes down to profitability. The 8 speed is far cheaper than the DSG.

Last edited by Eric_C; 09-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, no more instant torque courtesy of the supercharger and the efficiency and boredom of an automatic transmission. It doesn't appear that the B9 S4 is a viable replacement for a 2012 6MT. 2016 BMW 340 still offers AWD and MT, if one can ignore the run-flats.

Quick Reply: You'll love the Tiptronic