S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

00 s4 needs best tune for my buck? dont like my apr tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice...

Originally Posted by RickRST
Hi All,

Joined from the UK to reply to this post. I build and map engines, including Motronic in my spare time. I'm an instrumentation engineer by profession.

The three things you can really alter on a std car are the throttle response, boost curve, fuelling and ignition.

Boost is limted by the std turbos. I - and other tuners - can ask your turbos to do anything you want, but you have to decide as there are obvious durability issues.

Throttle response - because Motronic is fly by wire, pedal position is not directly related to throttle plate position. There is a map which specifies the relation. A lot of tuners increase the throttle response, which gives the feeling of the car being faster. What this means is that for example 10% throttle = 25% throttle plate angle. With 4wd this works quite well, but you wouldn't want it for relaxed driving or on a turbo FWD for example.

Ignition - Motronic is very clever at detecting Knock. There is LOT that can be recalibrated here, such as what the ECU determines as knock. It's pretty easy to get to optimum though and the key factor is fuel octane level.

Fuelling. This is an interesting one. Most tuners are **** at this. It's quite simple - you want the car to be around lambda 0.8 as soon as you go full throttle, and then richen if EGT's get too hot. Cruise/light throttle should always maintain lambda 1.

The key here is to get the injector and MAF calibration correct. Values should NOT be scaled. This is a botch, it isn't needed if you calibrate the ECU properly. If you scale anything, you upset hundreds of maps in the ECU. If you need a bigger MAF, use the RS4 item. It supports over 600hp and we have a proper transfer function. Calibrating MAF's is not something a tuning company can do very well, it needs incredibly complex flow calcs/testing.

Rick
I love reading and learning when it's so informative. I've write more but I'm so bloody tired I can't stay awake any longer, Thanks for the info Rick. Totally appreciate it. I'll get back to ya about some questions later if that's alright.

Chris
night all, Ima passout now... ZZZZZzzzzzz
Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it for a great price depending on mods, goals, custom tune, or OTS for prices that can not be beat:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...or-your-dollar
Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a CPAchiptuning piggy back system on my 2018 SQ5 and it works well. At a setting that is 2/3 of max tuning potential I have gotten almost .4 seconds 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Audizine has a test of the unit on a 2018 S4 at various settings and at the max they showed .5 seconds time differences at both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I was sold when I saw those track time tests and bought one myself. It works well.

Even at the default setting which is at the halfway setting, you can feel the difference immediately. I am running it one notch higher than the default setting. Fuel consumption is great and everything works fine. There is good customer service by phone and email as well. Powerbox Nitro is the model I have.

I have used the same system on my previous 2013 Q5 and it left no tracks in the ECU. Google for complete documentation and track time slips"

CPA Piggyback Results & Comparisions l Famoso Dragstrip l 1/27/2018