S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2002 S4, isit worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S4, isit worth keeping?

I have a stock 2002 S4 with 97,000 miles on it. I know that I'm going to be facing several maintance items soon and I wanted to get members' thoughts on whether it makes sense to plow about $4,000 right now into a car that Blue Books for about $10,000. Soon I will need to have the engine timing belt replaced, new brake pads (& rotors?), cooling system flushed, tires and alignment. I've enjoyed this car since it was new and haven't had major problems. The torque convertor needed to be replaced, but thankfully under warranty.

Besides the items mentioned above, what other maintance items would you recommend be replaced if I decide to keep the car?

My biggest question is though, is it worth keeping and spending money to keep it in good running order or sell it before costs run much higher?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Churchill
I have a stock 2002 S4 with 97,000 miles on it. I know that I'm going to be facing several maintance items soon and I wanted to get members' thoughts on whether it makes sense to plow about $4,000 right now into a car that Blue Books for about $10,000. Soon I will need to have the engine timing belt replaced, new brake pads (& rotors?), cooling system flushed, tires and alignment. I've enjoyed this car since it was new and haven't had major problems. The torque convertor needed to be replaced, but thankfully under warranty.

Besides the items mentioned above, what other maintance items would you recommend be replaced if I decide to keep the car?

My biggest question is though, is it worth keeping and spending money to keep it in good running order or sell it before costs run much higher?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
I don't know what else you need done, but what you've listed shouldn't come anywhere near $4k.

You can get a timing belt/wp kit for about $400 with cam lock bar, and JHM sells a "How to" video for about $30. So you could do that yourself. VAST right now has a sale on front & rear rotors with pads for $275 shipped. You can replace the coolant yourself. Tires from tire rack for $450 and $100 for an alignment. I'd think all that with labor shouldn't be more than $1500.

If you've got some other expenses coming up, I guess it would depend on how much you like the car, what you'd replace it with, and if you can actually sell it and make $10k.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'd say hold on to it for sure - I've got the same car except it's an avant with stg 1 chip, piggies/exhaust and some other random things. I've got to do my belt too, but like Churchill mentions; if you have the patience your belt can be done by you. I've always wanted to upgrade to the rs4 turbo kit except the price never warranted the purchase. However, I recently started looking again and seem to be cheap...my point is that your car can be really fun to work on and at 100k it should still have legs. Just my opinion though-gl

-on side note - other than the b5 platform turning 10 yrs old, what's the deal with the 2.7 rs4 turbos? It's like the turbos have gotten really cheap themselves, yet the kits are still ridiculous ($8-$9k) - thanx
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maint Req'd

I did that required maint on my S4 not too long ago. 4K sounds a bit high for things like timing belts. I changed the timing and accessory belts, along with all the coolant hoses as I plan to hold onto my S4 for a while.

The other items which wore on my car (140k) were the front axles and the rear wheel bearings. My car is not stock, so your car should not have those as early. I've actually replaced the rear wheel bearings in my car twice already - but that is my driving style. I've done that in every car i've owned, front, rear and awd. Clutch is still holding well.

The reason to keep or not keep is a simple financial equation offset by preference. Go drive something else in your price range. If you think it's time to sell, sell it and someone else who loves that car will end up with it.

The people here enjoy the car. If you enjoy it, keep it. if you're thinking you're going to go out and buy a new RS4 to replace it... then yah, do that.

Last edited by wilson94t; 04-02-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My S4 was stolen a couple weeks ago. I have been out car shopping. Drove a 2006 BMW 325i. What a joke, it felt cheap and was under powered at 215hp. Drove my friends 2008 BMW 535i manual. Very nice and good power with the twin turbo 300hp V6. I can buy a 2008 535xi manual under wholesale at $26,000. Drove a mint condition 2000 BMW M5 with 47,000 original miles. Prior concourse show car. The fastest car I have ever driven. An absolute race car, not kidding. They want around $25,000 for that.

My car had 128k and after the regular laundry list of repairs: timing belt, water pump, secondary coolant pump, CV boots, upper control arms, rear diff seal, engine seals, spark plugs, vacuum control lines, oxygen sensors, a couple wheel bearings, cat converter it was running like a top. I was going to keep it because I figured I did everything.

So, I can tell you, you can't get much these days for $10,000 if you sell your car. To get anything decent you will have to spend $5-15,000 more. If it is super clean and runs good and you like the way it drives it is probably worth keeping. They are good cars but they like their "spa" time.

Last edited by luvluvS4; 04-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Definitely worth keeping and you can most assuredly get this kind of maintenance done form much less than $4K unless you're going to a dealer... The B5 series S4 has proved to be a very reliable and extremely fun car as long as you do what's necessary to take care of it. That's part of why they're still so popular.

I have a '00 S4 with 202K Miles on it. No - that's NOT a typo. It's Nogaro Blue Perl, 6-speed, and in nearly perfect shape. I've had it since new so I know every single mile that's been put on it. I've gotten that many miles out of the original turbos by the way. It currently has:

* APR 4-Mode Chip w/ Flip-Switch Control
* AWE Twin II exhaust system (downpipes and cat-backs matched) with test pipes
* Diverter Valves (the series from the Porsche 911)
* 18" Enkei RPF-1 Wheels
* Aftermarket Satellite Radio and Navigation System (Kenwood)

Now, I am about to sink a boatload of cash into this car over the next few weeks. When I'm done, it will be a full-blown Stage 3 car with:

* K04 Hybrid Turbos
* Evolution Racewerks Side-Mount Intercoolers
* Custom Tune Kit (Injectors, MAF, etc.)
* Stage 3 Clutch

We'll also be doing all the general cleanup you'd expect to do when you pull a motor to replace turbos (motor mounts, hoses, etc.).

I have plans later in the year to do the RS4 front and rear end, upgraded headlights and fog lights (the kind that let you actually see at night), and a number of other cosmetic fixes and upgrades.

Even putting that much cash into this car, it works out to be much cheaper than selling it and trying to buy something new (that arguably won't be as much fun either). I ran the financial numbers to prove it.

My advice - Keep the S4 and keep it well maintained. My grandfather taught me that, if you take good care of your car, your car will take good care of you.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My suggestion... find a stage 1 GIAC (etc.) ECU and replace your TBB.

You will find a new love and respect for your S4.

After years of ownership, mine still puts a smile on my face to and from work. The day may have been crap but the ride home is so damn sweet!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S4

After years of ownership, mine still puts a smile on my face to and from work. The day may have been crap but the ride home is so damn sweet!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by chrisw01
The B5 series S4 has proved to be a very reliable and extremely fun car as long as you do what's necessary to take care of it.
Most people would not think of a reliable car as being one which you have to replace a lot of the parts on. The B5 S4 was one of Consumer Reports top used cars to avoid buying. It's a maintenance intensive car, which most enthusiasts keep reliable by performing preventative maintenance on, replacing parts that haven't yet failed but are prone to doing so. The car ends up being pretty reliable, but you have to pay to get there.

I've had mine for over ten years and despite thousands in unplanned maintenance I don't intend on selling it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bongerong

... and if you go stage 1, you should install better intercoolers as well.
Not so much for more performance, but mostly because they protect your K03's better.

Quick Reply: 2002 S4, isit worth keeping?