S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Coil & Sparks, Flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil & Sparks, Flashing CEL

So i pulled and replaced all plugs, did coil check all are working. car still runs like crap. check engine light still flashes. whats wrong????? i need ur help. wanna fix myself. what should i look at next? another bit of info: just had turbos replaced and has ran like this ever since but never before. did they forget to connect something. Im so frustrated. Help Me!!!! Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

B5 S4 Is model
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a boost leak. You need to pressure test
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL, Its rediculous how many times you have to say this, when will they learn
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it started after the turbo install bring it back to the shop and tell them to fix it for free
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After they have to tell the next generation of n00bs the same thing over and over.

Don't take it personally Imola - we've all been there at one point or another. I'm actually surprised Rolled didn't ask you to pull codes, speaking of which, you should really pull codes.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i know its the same old thing. ive read all about it. but i dont wanna take it back to those fools. thats why im asking u guys if there are any other ideas. i dont have a vag com. what about my MAF? they put the turbos in last fall and i didnt drive it all winter or spring so its been a while. Audi dealership is a rip. F them. I ordered the vag com cable but i dont have the program. what does that cost? im not made of money so i like to work on it myself if possible. just give me some ideas please. i checked and tightened all visible hoses.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just Tell Me whatever u can. Please and Thank You
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, your CEL flashing means that your motor is misfiring badly, to the point that you probably shouldn't be driving the car to avoid further damage. Also, what mods do you have if any, and how many miles are on the car? Did you order one of the ebay vagcom cables? if so the software is free but you will only be able to use some of the functions and only the older version will work. go to ross-tech.com and download the version that is for third part cables, I believe its version 409, dont bother registering for it. Connect it to your car, go to the engine module and click Fault Codes, It wont tell you what the codes mean but you'll be able to search for them and also post back here. You could also go to autozone and have your codes pulled but that will often only tell you the codes that set the CEL and wont show you the ones that are intermittent which are important to know about also.

Let us know what the codes are and we'll be able to give you better direction.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can't see your MAF being responsible for a flashing CEL. As CT said, please post a full list of Mods and details about the car. Also, any specifics regrading your turbo swap would be helpful: did you upgrade or just put in new k03's? Rebuilt turbos or fresh from the factory, etc.

Quick Reply: Coil & Sparks, Flashing CEL