S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi Bentely Manual CD Help

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Bentely Manual CD Help

Hey, i have the cd manual that i havent used in like 3 years. Now im trying to install it on a new laptop. It keeps getting me to a screen where it says i must have adobe 4.0 or higher to install. I have adobe 9.1! but it wont recognize it. So when it gives me the option i keep telling it to install the 4.0 just to finalize the installation but the adobe install keeps locking up at the end. Does anyone have any idea if they have a newer bentley manual that will work with a newer computer? Or should i start shopping around garage sales for special windows 98 cpu with 64mb of ram??
Old 07-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

are you trying to install it on a computer with vista? youll need xp.
it wouldnt be a bad idea to pick up a used computer to keep in the garage with the bentley installed on.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, i was trying to install in on my vista cpu. Im in the process of trying to install it on my old desktop cpu. Also, does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the cd-rom and the dvd-rom bentley manual. I looked at their website and they now only offer the dvd version which has the "ebahn reader 3.0" instead of the 2.5 and now the system requirements are higer. I assume its the same info, just formatted a little nicer right? Also, i saw they sell the licence for 100 and the new dvd with license for 120. Anyone have any idea if i might be able to upgrade for $20 since i already have the liscense? anyone tried that?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nimmote
Also, i saw they sell the licence for 100 and the new dvd with license for 120. Anyone have any idea if i might be able to upgrade for $20 since i already have the liscense? anyone tried that?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....*sniff*....oh man, that's funny.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I work for a software company and we get questions like this all the time - people find a 10 year old version of our software lying around and then they want full credit for it towards an upgrade. We don't hate the customers, but that kind of policy would put us all out of business!

Anyway, I don't know what Bentley's policy is, but you will probably have to pay the full $100 to get the new version. The switch to DVD might include a few fixes, a better interface, and more content - My guess is their website will highlight all the new features.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah i figured as much, take it easy! I just want a version i can use on vista for my laptop. My wife gets pissed when my hands are dirty from working on the car and i have to run into my office inside to hop on the desktop running xp

then again i havent used it in like 3 years so once i get my brake problem fixed which im stumped on, i probably wont use it for another 3 years until i get stumped again.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried disabling the aero theme during the install and doing the install under windows 98 tricks?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

alright, i got the aero theme disabled, now what about "doing it under windows 98 tricks?" ??? i think im outranked on the cpu knowledge here.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh, just setting the installer to run as windows98. right click, tab: compatibility mode, click compatiblity mode check box, select something otherthan vista and windows NT.

the Aero theme causes the most issues from what I have seen.

(had the hardest time getting mapleworks maple to install for the longest time, would always freeze at some stage during the install. finally got it installed but the java interface still crashed in vista.... )
Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, thanks for the help. After lots of fiddling around with everything, it appears that the Aero theme had nothing to do with it, but what i found is that i was in no way able to install adobe 4.0 in any kind of compatiblity mode imaginable, but going to some archives, i could install adobe 5.0 under the xp compatibility mode, then i ran the bentley installer under win 98 compatibility mode and then i ran the executible file under the xp compatibility mode. After all that, i got to the registration screen So i tried to register online, but had no luck. I think the site has been changed or something so im gonna call tomorow to do it by phone i guess. So thanks again! Im new with vista (about 3 weeks now)and if nothing else, i just went through a self taught vista crash course.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Similar problem here--Bently had a free download that helped with compatibility, enough that it WILL work on my Vista PC, but not well. It loads very, very slowly--maybe takes as long as 4 or 5 minutes initially, and to "change pages" in the manual, 5-8 seconds but it does work, and I didn't pay any extra...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Bentely Manual CD Help