S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

B5 RS4 AVANT Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 RS4 AVANT Help

Hi,

Am new here and I would like to get some help from you guys, well I searched around the internet and got somewhere confused while I didn't get the full info that I need.

So, there are few things I would like to know,

1- Are the engines for RS4 and S4 are the same! I found that RS4 engines codes are AZR and ASJ, as S4 have other engine codes, but both are 2.7t, so are they they same engine or not!?

2- I found the RS2 engine run 1.2Bar of boost, I was wondering what max boost I can go with on the stock engine and stock turbo and stock everything else? and would the extra boost gain noticeable amount of power?

3- Am going with standalone ECU, so I was locking for the RS4 (AZR/ASJ) engine wiring diagram, but couldn't find anything, can someone direct me where to find it? I have 2009 Autodata, but it don't include the RS4 engine wiring diagram!

At least the stock ECU pin-outs, as I can't find them as well!!

Thanks in advance for your help guys
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastButBlind
Hi,

Am new here and I would like to get some help from you guys, well I searched around the internet and got somewhere confused while I didn't get the full info that I need.

So, there are few things I would like to know,

1- Are the engines for RS4 and S4 are the same! I found that RS4 engines codes are AZR and ASJ, as S4 have other engine codes, but both are 2.7t, so are they they same engine or not!?

2- I found the RS2 engine run 1.2Bar of boost, I was wondering what max boost I can go with on the stock engine and stock turbo and stock everything else? and would the extra boost gain noticeable amount of power?

3- Am going with standalone ECU, so I was locking for the RS4 (AZR/ASJ) engine wiring diagram, but couldn't find anything, can someone direct me where to find it? I have 2009 Autodata, but it don't include the RS4 engine wiring diagram!

At least the stock ECU pin-outs, as I can't find them as well!!

Thanks in advance for your help guys
The engines are slightly different, though they are essentially the same in the respect of the same mechanical setup, here are the differences:
Air Box with additional vacuum activated air intake valve
Bigger 83mm MAF
Bigger intercoolers
Metal "throttle body boot"
Larger diameter intake piping in many locations
Larger throttle body
Larger intake runners
Stronger rods and block
Lower compression ratio (9.0:1)
K04 Turbos
Larger injectors and fuel pump
Larger downpipes and exhaust
... so yes the block is the same, but everything else is more robust and built for more power.

The stock RS4 can easily accomodate 22-24 psi of boost with appropriate tuning, as it has upgraded turbos, intercoolers, clutch, etc. compared to the S4. The S4 can make a reliable 15psi, up to 18-20 psi depending on how aggressive the tune, but you will deal with other problems like the turbos going out prematurely as well as other parts going bad as the car wasnt built to handle the additional power, though most people do get some time out of it before that happens, it really depends on your mileage. Yes, the power differential is very noticeable.

No to stand alone ECU, most companies can either chip or flash. Hell, if your technical, which it seems you are not as all this info is readily available online, then you can tune yourself. Check out Nefmoto, though I am pretty proficient with these vehicles and that is still beyond me right now.

Here are diagrams for the B5 S4, may or may not help, but I am quite sure it is mostly the same.

Good luck and get the terminology down so you can search this stuff easily. There is so much info already out there.