S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

B5 S4 avant no start condition

Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 S4 avant no start condition

well 2 days ago the wife called before getting off from work and told me that the car will not start, I asked if it cranks and she said yes,hmm she also said it will crank and will start but will turn off immediately.

I thought to myself what could it be as I was not there, I thought that it was out of gas but I know I filled up 2days ago so that cant be it, fast forward she told me that they jumped the car and it started and stayed on? Hmm thats weird as she had told me it cranks fine and she had someone jump anyways, I guess desperate times call for desperate measures?!

next day I tried starting car and it fired right up w/o a hickup, I drove car for a few miles without any problems and decided nothing was wrong until I decided to get breakfast at Mcdonalds and proceeded to park car and finish my meal, upon getting ready to leave to get in car and proceed to start car, 1st attempt motor fires but dies, 2nd try same thing, 3rd try-well nadda nothing no more fire I guess I used all the gas in the rail and injectors.

Towed car home late last nite and proceeded to diagnose what it could be, fuse, relay, pump, ecm etc etc.

checked the FP fuse-OK
next on list to check is the FP relay- no click when key on
Fuel pump- turn key on and no noise coming from pump

havet gone any further today as i was too busy and wanted to put it out here to get some help
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine just did the same thing. Wife went to go to work and it wouldn't start. Changed the fuel pump and it started right up.

To diagnos:

1. Take the cover off of the fuel pump lid (located in the trunk) and have someone crank it over while listening. If you can't hear it run and they're is voltage at the connector I'd change the fuel pump.

2. You can also disconnect the fuel pressure line at the engine and have someone crank it over while you hold the line in a jug.

Good luck, it only takes 30min to do it the 2nd time.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FIXED!

checked the fuse and it was ok

checked the relay and it is working fine, clicking away

checked the pump harness and had 11v while cranking which is good

checked pump and nothing as I jumped it with a battery so replaced pump today with a 034 motorsport special drop in pump.

funny thing was when I removed the old pump I tried jumping it again with the battery and got it to spin!? damn there must have been dirt inside motor but I didnt want to risk reusing it so I bit the bullet and called 034 motorsports and they promptly got me one today and reinstalled and it fired right up...

funny how it failed w/o any warning in a Mcdonalds parking lot

oh well the car does have well over 185K miles on it so what is next on the list, well I have a front left wheel bearing thats making noise so that will be next on my list right before I want to install my 350MM BBk tourareg brake calipers