Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 3429

Default Bad tie rod ends dangerous? What are the symptoms?

Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills diagnosed my tie rod ends as being "bad". If this is indeed true (and who knows if it is, since this was my first out of warranty service and, coincidentally, they found all sorts of stuff to charge me for fixing), what are the symptoms and should I be concerned about the car being dangerous to drive.

As an aside, I'm never taking my car there for routine service again. ~$600 for routine 64k service. My *** hurts.

What do people think of Ingolstadt West, pretty good?
Old 11-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Account #: 76236

Default well---

I heard a tale of one car that had one break---needless to say the car became unmanagable quickly since the tires were both towed out! I had one fail on my A4 but it didnt break akk the way--gave me pause for thought however!
C. O. Guy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 33506

Default If it feels like you're drunk @ the wheel & your clearly not, it's time to replace 'em. (m)...

Since they get bad over time, one tends not to notice, but rather, *adjusts* their driving. If you've noticed your car darting around for no apparent reason, they're probably beat. Simply jack up one side, grab the wheel @ 9 & 3, & give it a push/pull. If it's *loose* & knocks around, that end is toast. Repeat on the opposite side. Get the HD ends from ECS - they're cheap enough. Anyone w/ 1/2 a brain & a cheap tool set can swap 'em. Get it aligned immediately. Good luck.
+pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 33927

Default i wonder what it would feel like if you were actually drunk and had bad tie rods....

btw, i think mine are bad too

^^^CLICK SIG FOR BUEHN ENGINEERING WEBSITE^^^
<big><big>Website Here!!!</big></big>

<big>Items For Sale</big>

Imolavirus@BuehnEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 47312

Default you can feel the steering loose a bit

with the car runing rock the steering left and right fast and you may hear a knocking noise , also check the actual rubber boots on the tierod ends and see if it's torn.

"it's a B5 S4 ,it may break down, but its far enough ahead, by the time its fixed, you still haven't caught up." -best line i've heard

AUDI B5 S4 detail info (pdf file) that everyone should read and have saved on his computer

AUDI B5 RS4 study guide detail info (pdf file)

FATS database

VAG-COM LOCATOR

ASP Hands down the "BESTEST" tuner out there.

lemieux@curbside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Account #: 68786

Default i think its one of those 2 bad things make a right...Andretti status!

avantissimo nogaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, a4, audi, bad, cabriolet, dangerous, drive, end, ends, outer, rod, rods, symptoms, tie, tire