Well believe it or not my planned installed went according to plan to the T!
Red Wire (12v constant): 30 Post under dash
Green Wire (ignition): Blue black wire on VAG connector
E-brake wire: Just grounded it for now. May hook to e-brake later
Alarm fix: I tapped the wire for fuse 6 (central locking) and removed the 5 amp fuse from the box. I put an inline 5 amp fuse between there and the 75x post next to the 30.
That's all folks. Works perfect, TT works, alarm works. No soldering or clipping of existing wires! Just used wiretaps. Only had to remove the knee kick panel to install.
As far as the boost guage is concerned. I tapped the FPR line. Boost guage seemed to work fine. However, the highest peak boost i saw was .67 bar. Does that seem right. For the most part it would hover just under .6 bar when i was under full acceleration. This is obviously with the stock ECU. does that seem right?
I will be trying to reverse the back lighting later this week so that its usually red backlight. and green for overboost and TT.
The red backlight is EXACTLY the same as the rest of the dash. My plan is to reverse the backlights then polarise it so its red on black instead of black on red. then mount in cupholder slot. damn near oem.
1) I did fish it through. If you look at the pic below you will see its going into the ECU compartment. This is before I fished the boost line down into the footwell. (there is an opening in the back left of the ECU compartment, very easy)
2) Yes. I spliced into the blue/black wire leading to the back of fuse 6 (central locking system) and removed the 5 amp fuse in the fuse panel. Thus making it a cinch to revert back to stock.
3) It's a little smaller than the cupholder opening. I'm gonna have to come up with something to fill the gap around it.
4) I have NO idea how hard/easy backlight reversal is going to be. I read somewhere on AW that there are 4 red LEDs along the top of the screen and 4 green LEDs along the bottom of the LCD. My plan is to hopefully desolder them and swap them. I may also try to reverse the polarity of the LCD so its red on black instead of black on red. I have also sent an email to BLITZ seeing if they have any more info for me.
5) I bought it from www.gruppe-s.com because it was the only tuner i could actually get on the phone. I paid about 20 bucks more then what i've seen it for elsewhere. (i paid 140 vs 120 at some places)
I dont think so. The climate control doesnt wig out when i remove they key....
as is described in the tech article. It continues to operate normally. We have a completely different climate control system than the one in the tech article, doesnt seem to bother ours. I will be getting my hands on a VAG this weekend and I will check for any DTCs. I think i will be clean though.