S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bought the A8l for my DD, keepin the s4 for track, i need weight loss and track advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you strip the entire interior, install single racing seat, a simple CF dash

CF hood, CF trunk, lightweight racing wheels, etc...

I'll bet you could easily get over 1000 lbs reduction from the stock curb weight (3900 lbs)

that's even if you have to add roll cage (if full time racing it)

the Audi A4's that ran in the BTCC in the mid-90's weighed in at less than 2300 lbs
Old 03-30-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how much did you get the a8 for?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 AM

Default 1000lbs, wow!!!!

Do you have a parcel of land on the moon you can sell me?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Default BTW, do you live in Columbus now or did you just go to/like OSU?

I live in Columbus. I would be more than happy to help you strip out the interior. Sounds like a fun time. : )

If you go to the Pilot/Wendys on the West side of Columbus on Wilson Rd. right off of 70 you can weigh your car there. Cost a few bucks. FWIW mine weighs ~3600lbs right now (sunroof, cold weather package). I can't remember the exact numbers. It would be interesting to get a before and after because I can only assume that the interiors in this car are, relatively speaking to most other cars, pretty heavy. I'm sure someone who's stripped one will chime in. Knowing this forum they will probably have individually weighed out each interior piece too, just in case you want to only remove part of your interior. : )~

IMHO this car will NEVER be `light', but it could definitely be much lighter if you took out the non-essentials.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You need to decide if you're going to do SCCA racing or some other non-competitive racing because

you'll need to build the car to the rules of the class you plan to race in. You can download the SCCA general competition rules from their website under "club Racing" at SCCA.org. Also, you should really do a roll cage. Strip the entire interior, carpet, sound deadening, AC core, headliner and seats. Leave the dash. That will save you lots of weight and is allowed in any of the SCCA classes. Also allowed - a huge improvement - is getting rid of the AC compressor, AC radiator and piping. You not only lose weight there but you lose rotational mass. The weighted clutch/pully on the AC compressor is like another flywheel practically. Getting rid of it will make the car a lot quicker and less nose-heavy too. Add an oil cooler and a fire extinguisher.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 AM

Whys that so hard to believe? Its been done before.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Default I find it pretty hard to believe that this car's ever weighed 2600lbs, even without a cage...

Curb weight, ready to drive. These cars don't weigh 3900lbs stock either, unless you have a fat *** guy or two normal people sitting in the car. Curb weight, ready to drive, apples to apples.

MAYBE a full race car with no gas. I'm taking no dash, all wiring removed that's not needed, cut door internals, lexan windows. Everything non-esential. Doing everything listed I would just guess around 3100lbs or a 500ish lb. reduction, being very liberal. I will admit, I don't have a really good idea of what these components weigh. Like I said, I'm being liberal and assuming, from my experience with other cars, that they are heavy, relatively speaking.

1000lbs is a lot. It's more than a lot, it's a ton of weight. That's droping 30% of the total weight. I would guess more than our engine. Maybe the cassi completely stripped might weigh that much.

I will admit if I'm wrong, but I would be more than surprised, I would be downright astounded and dumbfounded if this car could ever weight 2600lbs, ready to drive. Especially not doing a full out race car, ground up build.

And actually my point isn't to argue this at all, so I don't care if I'm wrong. It sounds like this guy is wanting reasonable things to do and how much weight realistically it would save. Not, "How many ounces would I save if I went with the carbon fiber bandanna hammock?" Lets keep to the relevant topic.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are a few rough numbers to ponder

Engine weighs 440 lbs
You can easily shave 70 lbs using lightweight wheels/lighter tires
Exhaust can save up to 40 lbs
Lightweight seats can save you 100 lbs (front)
Brakes can save a bit
Removing rear seats saves you 50 lbs
Removing door panels saves about 10 lbs I believe
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good advice. definitely look at SCCA rule book. talk to Pat. post in the Motorsports forum.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Default So ~200-300lbs for the interior depending on how crazy you get?

That's the number that I had in my head, and that is significant and worth it for a track car imho. I'll have the dash left in my Talon when I'm done and I don't expect to save that much (in just the interior).

440lbs is for the long block? We have iron block and aluminum heads right?

And are you implying that 2600lbs is possible? Those numbers all seem like the numbers I was thinking, and I still don't see 2600lbs being possible.

Quick Reply: Bought the A8l for my DD, keepin the s4 for track, i need weight loss and track advice