S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Buying an S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an S4

I'm in the market for an S4. Personally, I would prefer a manual transmission but it seems every S4 on the market with decent mileage are automatic. How's the automatic on the S4? what should I look out for if I were to get an automatic and for the manual?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 6-speed and she is fun as hell. The automatic I have no experience on and have not really heard anything bad about them, but what I have heard rumblings about are some tuning restrictions when it comes to the auto vs manual. For instance, chipping or boosting may have limitations when working with the tiptronic, etc.

If you are just purchasing for a fun ride with no plans to tune her up, then i think it just comes down to personal preference.

Then again I am sure someone way more knowledgeable would have a better take then me, just my opinion.

Enjoy and welcome
Old 12-23-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold out for a manual if you have any intentions of modding or if you think you might have some intentions one day. If you buy a tip, just stay away from the forums so you don't read how much fun people are having with high-power 6MTs. Otherwise, no problems with the tips that I have heard. If I were in the market for a B5 S4 right now, I'd wait for a stage-3 6MT to come on the market and then I'd pounce.

Search the AW and QW forums for common problems to look for when buying these cars. The biggest expense right away, I think, is the timing belt, which should be changed between 60K and 75K depending on whom you ask. And at the age these cars are now, if the timing belt hasn't been changed yet, it should be even if the car has less than 75K. That's a $1200+ job unless you DIY in which case it's a few hundred.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We had a tip

we had the tip in an A6. it worked without flaw, very smooth. Manually shifting it didnt turn us on, glad the car is gone and we have the S4 with the 6 spd.

KYC
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So the tips can't be chipped at all or there are different level chips made for the tips?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by )EIB(
So the tips can't be chipped at all or there are different level chips made for the tips?
Sure you can. I bought my S4 Avant in a tip because it was to be my family hauler and tow car for my race car, plus my wife won't drive a manual. It is chipped with DPs and full exhaust and is a blast to drive. My neighbor has a stage 3 car that is a tip. Are they as fast as a 6mt, no way. But for a daily its great. Sitting in traffic is so much easier, plus I can still suprise a large number of cars off the line while I sip my latte with the other hand steering.If you want to build a super powerful beast of a car then 6mt is a must. If you want a powerful, fun, yet relaxed daily a tip would fit the bill.
That said I do enjoy the days I hop in my s2000 for a drive. The manual adds a joy to driving not found in an auto even if my s4 is faster and handles better.

And lets not forget, the S4 manual is about the worst standard gear box I have ever driven. It needs works to feel good...
Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by )EIB(
Chipping is fine. But once you chip it, then you'll say, "Wow, this is great. I wonder what stage 3 with bigger turbos is like?" It's just that the TC in the tips has an upper limit for the power you can make.

But seriously, if you *really* only plan on chipping it, then you'll be fine.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bingS4

But seriously, if you *really* only plan on chipping it, then you'll be fine.

Yeah, I had that plan.... Now I want 6mt to build
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 28cmod
Sure you can. I bought my S4 Avant in a tip because it was to be my family hauler and tow car for my race car, plus my wife won't drive a manual. It is chipped with DPs and full exhaust and is a blast to drive. My neighbor has a stage 3 car that is a tip. Are they as fast as a 6mt, no way. But for a daily its great. Sitting in traffic is so much easier, plus I can still suprise a large number of cars off the line while I sip my latte with the other hand steering.If you want to build a super powerful beast of a car then 6mt is a must. If you want a powerful, fun, yet relaxed daily a tip would fit the bill.
That said I do enjoy the days I hop in my s2000 for a drive. The manual adds a joy to driving not found in an auto even if my s4 is faster and handles better.

And lets not forget, the S4 manual is about the worst standard gear box I have ever driven. It needs works to feel good...
Sounds like the tip fits my bill at this stage. And personally I have to plans to reach stage 3 with the s4. At most may be a chip and exhaust to make it a bit more interesting.

So is there anything I can do to check if the tip tranny is in good condition when I test drive the car? How about the AWD system and diff on this car? Do they break easily? By the looks of it, I assume they are rock solid as I don't any posts of people complaining about repairs on those items. Any easy way to check the condition of them during a test drive?