S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can Jon/Steve S/anyone help me with this?

Old 09-13-1999, 10:26 AM
dave

Default Can Jon/Steve S/anyone help me with this?

Hello everyone... Talked to my Audi dealer yesterday; he was the Fleet Manager for Anderson Behel in San Jose. When I asked him about chips for the US version engine, he looked at me with this funny grin on his face and said "off the record?" I, of course said, "of course" He then proceeded to tell me that Audi relesed "numbers" for a US spec engine, but what was coming to the US right now was actually the 265hp Euro Engine... He told me that there was NO DIFFERENCE between what was in the first batch of US cars and what is available in Europe! does anyone know anything about this? He seemed to be fairly reliable, i just don't know what to think anymore.

Dave (dreaming of a 265bhp eurospec S4)
Old 09-13-1999, 10:49 AM
del

Sounds like we need to get an S4 on a Dyno to find out.
Old 09-13-1999, 10:52 AM
Derek Daily

Default Sales Lit + Len Hunt Confirmation...

The literature released to the sales team indicates that the "horsepower and torque are actually slightly greater than that indicated in the brochure."

Also, when asked about the difference in performance between the Euro and NA models (Matt question?), Len Hunt's response was something to the effect of "I've driven both cars and they are the same...' (AoA, VP)

Food for thought...

Derek Daily
Old 09-13-1999, 11:46 AM
Steve S.

Default Good luck finding a AWD Dyno

I heard there are only a few in the US, and non of the tuners have them (maybe Vortrag/APR being the exception)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM

P.S. I have not heard any rumor about the 250/265 replacement. Sure would be nice, if
true. Maybe they were just counting on us only having 89 octane available. :-)
Old 09-13-1999, 11:54 AM
LCP

Default If you use the old drag racing formula, those power numbers seem right

Despite me knocking the idea that the S4 had to make a lot more than 250HP earlier, using the formula HP=WT*((1/4 MI.MPH/234)^(1/3)), the S4's power shakes out to 275-280HP, a lot closer to 265 than to 250.

Also, as I deduced earlier, R&T (& assumedly Car and Driver as well) DOES NOT correct its road test results for temp./elev./humidity. The R&T car may have been 0.1 sec faster than the C&D car b/c it was just a little cooler when the R&T test was conducted (this also explains part of the M3's extremely poor acceleration runs in the C&D test). Note that the S4 was hangin' with the 302-hp C43 even at high speeds, indicating it likely makes more than 250HP, whereas the 240HP M3 was definitely being pulled away from (the C43 also took 6.1 sec. to do 0-60, which is the same number I've seen for the slightly heavier and weaker engined (275HP) E430, so again, the summer weather may have really been slowing these cars down some). Maybe if a test was conducted in the fall, we'd see the U.S. S4 doing 0-60 in 5.4 -- exactly what the Euro S4 does it in.

People who have driven the S4 indicate the torque does not seem to fall off at all until nearly at the redline; this also indicates that the power must rise above 250 since if torque is just falling slightly but RPMs are rising then the power produced must continue to climb.
Old 09-13-1999, 12:25 PM
Stephen/APR

Default APR will dyno our R&D S4 on our dyno as soon as it arrives.

-
Old 09-13-1999, 01:20 PM
Randy

Default Re: Can Jon/Steve S/anyone help me with this?

The SAE and DIN HP numbers always vary slightly because the U.S. Specs are SAE and require a slightly different test procedure than DIN. It this particular case the engines appear to be the same, only the HP *claims* are different depending exactly what standard was used for the test.
Old 09-13-1999, 01:46 PM
Ali B

Default In this case, torque figures vary by 14%

The Euro-spec engine is rated at 295 lb-ft, while the N.A. S4 is rated at 258 lb-ft. Also, the SAE and DIN numbers usually vary only slightly, not by as much as 15 hp.
Old 09-13-1999, 02:24 PM
Warren Wang

Default They don't have an AWD dyno (more)

I recall that they disconnect the center drive shaft and dyno as a FWD. Someone from APR said something else had to be done though. Not sure what (they said it was a secret in their post).

BTW- for any APR guys reading this, which dyno do you use? Does it measure torque, or acceleration?

Thanks,
Warren
Old 09-13-1999, 03:27 PM
Stephen/APR

Default We use a Clayton Chassis dyno with VTT. We dyno A4's all the time. The dyno has load holding -

capability. It measures hp and torque at any given point we specify. To dyno the Quattro's we disconect the center drive shaft, cut the ABS and one other "secret" thing that allows it to work perfectly. Come over anytime for a dyno session.

Stephen/APR
1-800-680-7921
www.goapr.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can Jon/Steve S/anyone help me with this?