S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cant pinpoint this oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant pinpoint this oil leak

Have a look at this pictures. I originally thought it was the passenger cam gear seal but once I got it exposed it looks like it may not be because there is no residual oil leaking directly under it but that may be because its been sitting for a couple weeks. There is some grimy build up right under it on the lip of the steel backing plate though so I am not too sure.

Valve covers are new but I did not do them; a reputable shop did them when I had some head work done but then again we all know how shops can be. I hear that if you don't bead the VC gaskets in a few spots they tend to leak so I wonder if that may be the deal.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else could be leaking in the immediate area before I change the cam seal?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Only thing that makes sense is the Cam seal or the VC seal. You might be right about the shop simply forgetting to put a bead of gasket maker (or not knowing where to put it) on the VC gasket. On of the spots where you're supposed to do this is directly above the area you photographed (the little v-dip in the Valve Cover gasket)
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea bead them on the hump, that's what I was told to do. I just don't see anything around the VC, guess i'll have to disassemble a little further and see if I can see where it's coming from. In the pics, on the 2 coolant hoses below the gear, oil is has been collecting on and running down the smaller of 2.

I ordered the tools to change the cam seal too.....what a bitch! Thanks for the suggestions man.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I dug further and it looks like the VC gasket....

Fukin shop charged me for new gaskets and labor and didn't even change it....what a surprise!

Gonna go ahead and change the cam seal since I cannot tell 100% if it's leakin too since it's right there.

Last edited by jaimesonlee; 12-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That cam seal looks perfect from what I can see in that picture.

Looks like they probabaly forgot to or didn't use enough sealant in the corner.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bummer. At least you know never to go to that shop again....
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
That cam seal looks perfect from what I can see in that picture.

Looks like they probabaly forgot to or didn't use enough sealant in the corner.
Yea I think that's what the deal is, thanks complacentsee.

Originally Posted by donromani
Bummer. At least you know never to go to that shop again....
You can say that again. You know the thing that really pisses me off is that the owner was like "yea call me if yo got any concerns, question, etc and now they don't answer my calls or return my messages...wtf kind of customer service is that? I tell ya what kind, it's called you got fuked now *** off LOL!

Like you said man, won't ever go there again. Got that VC gasket on order so hopefully it gets here in time so I can stretch the ole girls legs for a trip up north.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My VCGs were a little worse.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn man! How long did it take for you to yank the engine? That's what my A4 looks like lol! I got big plans for it though so I am not concerned about changing them at this point. It's a supercharged 2.8 ..... it was a fun project

It's also fun to drive just not as demanding as the S4 but it does better for auto cross hence no lag; the courses I run are pretty small with lots of tight bends so no lag FTW there but S4 for the strip!

I gotta clean this mess up!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I worked from 9-8 from saturday to thursday. Took it slow, only used the guides as an after check. First time pulling the bumper and all that.

took about 9 hours to get it out I bet. about 8 hours the first day getting it all ready to pull. then took probabaly took 2 hours to pull it. But most of the time was just making sure we didn't break ****.

Probably the best vacation I've ever had. lol

Quick Reply: Cant pinpoint this oil leak