S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

check engine light AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the schedule of events so far:

check engine light comes on: I read code and clear it with a friend's OBD-II scan tool. A few weeks later, it comes back and I clear it agian, dismissing it as a fluke.

a few weeks later, check engine light comes on: Cyl. 6 misfire. Took it to the dealer, they turned up the idle speed and returned the car to me.

2 weeks later: same check engine light, same code. This time, they check coolant temp sensor, swap a few coil packs, and replace two injectors.

about 2 weeks later: same check engine light, same code. They check evap system control, remove and install intake manifold (?), and replace knock sensor. Apparently, they swapped computers, too, only to find no different readings.

I got the car back tuesday night and the light came back on friday night. I haven't read the code yet, but I'm sure it's the same thing. I'm going to have my friend check it out with his VAG-COM.

By the way, it always throws the code at start-up. I don't believe that it matters, but I'm chipped. The only common thread that seems to be developing is rainy weather, but there were times that the light came on when there was no rain.

Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

Steve
Old 10-06-2001, 09:44 AM

Default I hope they checked the wiring harness......

I had a similar problem after my 8k check up...after a week in the garage and a call to the Audi rep to visit and look at the car they found a loose plug in the wiring harness under the engine by the fire wall....turns out that when the tech took the plastic tray down it came in contact with some wiring loosing up some plug. After a call to me telling me it was fixed and an apology from them for not finding it earlier it's been running great 31.5k and counting.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:27 AM
dpd

Default Re: check engine light AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your misfire is on 6 again,and you have no air leaks,vacuum leaks etc.you probably got a airflow meter knocking at the door of doom.when they start going bad they stat killing cylinders 5/6,until it misfires 4/5/6,have also seen it set misfires on 3/6.will also set lean adaption faults.if coils,injectors,intake were all done and the light comes on whenever it wants,it's probably the maf crapping out.to see,see if your friend will do a test for you,go into engine[01],check for faults[02],clear the fault,go into basic settings[04],go to channel 107,you will see percentage #'s for both banks,if #'s are greater than 18% the meter is puked[normal #'s -5% to 8%].after performing test,see if you have faults,if you do clear them and unplug the maf.redo the test,if you have no faults now,the meter is puked.[last time i heard they were on interplanetary backorder.[note:this effects bosch meters more so than hitachi]