S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

chip comparo

Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip comparo

I know this is an old topic but many people have said that the old chip comparos are way out dated since many companies have updated or recently came out with new chips... I was stg 2 but due to a wire failure my ecu died and im looking for a new ecu. I know have upgraded intercoolers, thermal spacers, intake, lw pulley, lw fly and rs4 clutch, piggy pipes, and a milltek 3". Looking to get the most power so anyone have some info on the newer files? Is their a difference between stg1 and stg2 chips or is it just a stg1 that the companies sell as stg2 when you buy their other supporting mods?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Where are you at? What tuners are local?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Where are you at? What tuners are local?
What he said. Go with the closest one to where you live.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lots of good stuff in the archives that's still relevant if you're willing to dig. I also wouldn't count out even the old info given that a company’s tuning approach and philosophy generally doesn’t change over the years. Given that you have more than a "stage 2" setup, I would say, if you are looking for the absolute best for your system, an off the shelf "stage 2" probably wouldn't fit the bill. If you're willing to pay a little more, it's hard to beat a custom tune as a few tuners are doing (ASP for instance), do a little digging and look to see what's around you.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

im outside of philly, so AWE and Autospeed are very close... how much is a custom tune?? i dindnt think it was really worth it being that im not stg 3... how much power would i be looking at?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

You would have to call the shops and get a quote from them as it would be a "custom" tune, I wouldn't expect it to be a fixed price. While I don't think that you would gain an extra 100 horsepower or anything crazy, given that most "stage 2" software is only written for a cat back and doesn't factor in downpipes, which are a significant change to the motors operating conditions, nor can I think of any standard tunes that factor in aftermarket intercoolers, you would most likely be looking some kind of benifit. If not in power certainly in a smoother, healthier running motor. I recall coming across a couple articles at some point in my archive trudging that people report about coming off an OTS tune into custom and noting sinificant changes both in raw dyno power as well as a much better driving car. While I don't think that AWE does custom work, and rather sticks with the GIAC codes, ASP is one of the top custom tuners in the country. I would recommend calling them up and seeing what they have to say. Information is always free and if nothing else will help you to better understand what would be involved.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

called asp, a bit more than i want to spend for a custom tune right now, maybe if i was stg3 or so it would be more feesable. "not to say its over priced cause its really resonable, just dont have that much to spend right know" also just learned that their is no difference between GIAC stg 1 or 2... so would i benifit more from ASP's generic tune since they say their stg 2 tune is different and made for cars with DP's? im not gona ask AWE or ASP since of course AWE will say no and ASP will say yes...