S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch Pressure Loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pressure Loss

LOONG POST. Be prepared...Ok so I have been having a months long issue with my clutch pressure now that I cannot figure out for the life of me. Recently my clutch pedal started having a little free play in it (about an inch or two) before i could feel pressure. But then it got alot worse and the clutch pedal started sticking to the floor and the wheels started locking up. I topped the fluid off to no effect. I thought it was the slave cylinder so i bought a new one and dropped it off at the mechanic. turned out the clutch master cylinder was frozen and the brake master cylinder was bad. Once replaced, I got the car back and noticed an hour into having the car that there was still some freeplay in the clutch pedal. So im thinking the mech didnt cycle the abs after bleeding so i give it a few hard stops. No effect. But i needed my car so i kept driving this way (mistake). So three days later im driving to my girlfriends house when i start to notice there is ALOT of freeplay in my clutch pedal and by the time i get there the resevoirs EMPTY. I cant find/dont see any leak. So i have it towed back to the mechanic to figure out what happened. He fills the system back up/bleeds and tells me he cant find any leak and the car is driving fine. So im driving for three more days and notice there is still freeplay in my pedal and im slowly losing fluid again! Any idea what this might be? Slave/brake/clutch cylinder replaced already. Booster? Terribly sorry for the LOONG post but I reaally need help at this point so any input would be very much appreciated I am to the point where if I cannot solve this I will regrettably have to retire the love affair with my S4.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't retire the S4. Its just like a marriage - takes a lot of work.

If you've replaced the slave cylinder and the master cylinder and you are still loosing fluid I'd check the line to the slave cylinder. If its not that, then I'd take a look at all brake lines.

You may need to park it in the garage and put some pressure on the break pedal overnight (maybe wedge a board between the seat and the brake pedal). If its the brake lines, there has to be a drip somewhere. I'd also take a look under the ABS unit.

Its hard to beleive that a leak can't be found - I means its gotta be there or its got smell from burning right? In the meantime, if you're going to drive it, carry a can of break fluid and top it off everytime you go somewhere.

Sorry a little long winded.