S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

coolant smell when i come to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant smell when i come to a stop

Well I just picked up my 2000 s4 3 days ago and yesterday I started smelling coolant in the car. The carpet is not wet at all. And I really only can smell it when I come to a stop. There is also no leaks under the car. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Plus I have no heat. Would that mean the heater core?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having some of the same problems.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now today something smelled like it was burning too.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by boxzer8907
Now today something smelled like it was burning too.
Is there a visible difference in your coolant level or is it a small leak?

I had similar symptoms and I found that the little metal retaining clip had fallen off of my after-run pump temp sensor while I was installing my downpipes. So you might want to check behind the motor to make sure everything is clipped in and connected and to see if there is any dried coolant spots that could help you locate the leak.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Man where do u start that's the ? There are so many places to leak from orings, head gaskets, heater core, all the dry rotted plastic Audi loves to use. Check under the intake and back of the engine with a super bright light! Maybe a small mirror thats how I find mine. Maybe all the s4 owners need to invest in midgets to work on these cars the apb engine are notorious for leaks.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well these engine arent that bad with leaks.As far as a coolant leak goes,Check under the intake there a aux water pump in there that is notorious for failure and leaks.Alot of times youll see coolant just sitting in the valley pan there where the pump is.Other than that ive seen the coolant bottles crack under neath and leak so check that also.and check the front of the engine i have seen the water pump leak as well other than that there not that bad.AS far as the heater core goes.Well if you have no heat that usually means is blocked solid.Theres a neat trick for that.Buy 3 gallons of white distilled vinegar and if you have a used but good aux water pump go to home depot and pick up some clear hoses that fit over the heater core fittings in the cowl area. hook up your connections and run the vinegar through the heater core.Have 2 or 3 bucket handy.youll see all the gunk come out of the heater core.yes it does sound like a pain in the *** to do but its not that bad.You gotta look at it like this.Either try this and resolve your issue or pull the whole damn dash out to replace the heater core.I did a passat this way last week and it fixed the issue.I hope this helps.
Originally Posted by RIDINSLOW00
Man where do u start that's the ? There are so many places to leak from orings, head gaskets, heater core, all the dry rotted plastic Audi loves to use. Check under the intake and back of the engine with a super bright light! Maybe a small mirror thats how I find mine. Maybe all the s4 owners need to invest in midgets to work on these cars the apb engine are notorious for leaks.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Digging in this weekend.

Whenever I first bought mine about a year ago, I could smell it after driving, but it went away after about a month. I just figured since the car had sat for a couple of months before, It was just some old junk burning out. But the smell is back, and I can start to slowly see my coolant level go down, but very little. Anybody have any ideas as to where the leak is? It seems that the smoke is coming from under the driver side of the engine. Any hoses or anything around there to check? Maybe under reservoir? Thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This weekend I'm replacing the water pump, timing belt, aux pump and plurging the heater core. Ill try the vinger first but I also heard clr works great too
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boxzer8907
This weekend I'm replacing the water pump, timing belt, aux pump and plurging the heater core. Ill try the vinger first but I also heard clr works great too
You doing the work yourself? What kit did you get?

Quick Reply: coolant smell when i come to a stop