S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Could use a little help with OEM iPod adapter wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine shows the same CD changer error but my iPod works. ??

You have an OEM iPod adapter and a Symphony I Bose stereo (like pictured in the link you included) correct? Is your wiring hooked up per the Audi instructions? If so, you will have to take the brown wire back out of the harness and hook it to ground. This can serve as a quick check but rewire all the * wires below or you will slowly drain your battery.

I haven't rewired the * wires below yet but mine worked with just the brown run to ground. I currently have the brown unhooked but will be rewiring tomorrow.

Per previous post....

'01 S4 iPod Adapter
new harness wire location

Red 10 pin connector
*Brown 10

Black 20 pin connector
*Purple 14
Red/Blue 16
Yellow 19
Green 18
White 15
*Blue 13
Purple/Red 17
Grey 20

* = wire locations that differ from the install instructions
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here is a quick CD changer test to try....

copied pasted from audidatabase.com/bose (link below)

CD Changer Detection

The following is the procedure on how to access the CD changer detection display.

1. Turn off radio.
2. While pressing and holding the Preset 4 button, turn on radio.
3. If you have a CD changer connected and functional, the display shows "CONNECT". Otherwise, it shows "NO CDC". This is a display-only mode. You cannot change any settings.
4. When you are done, turn off radio, then turn it back on for normal operation.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audidatabase.com/bose">Look at CD Changer Detection section.</a></li></ul>
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I tried above wiring and it didn't work. Currently running without swapping blue and purple .

To clarify, I have an '02 S4 with Bose symphony I and OEM iPod adapter. Swapping the blue and purple per the dealer's original recommendation didn't work for me.

I am using all the OEM iPod instructions except I have run the brown ground wire to the #10 pin in the red connector. This goes to CD grnd per the label on the stereo. Removing this pin was proving troublesome so I stripped some of the wire and soldered an extension wire into it. Hooked this wire and the brown wire together.

Using the preset #4 test shows a CD connection and the iPod works properly. The iPod screen goes blank in about 3 mniutes after shutting off stereo.

I will let it marinate and see if battery goes dead again. Update later.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I tried above wiring and it didn't work. Currently running without swapping blue and purple .

So I'm confused again-

the cable i have is a molded connector on both ends with the exception of two loose black wires labelled "ground -12v". I'm gonna try putting those on signal ground (pin #10) as you suggested...

30V-6, to clairfy, you are using an AUDIF with the VWF cable, right?

-aaron
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My oem iPod adaptor is part # is 8E0-051-444

It came with wiring harness 8E0 051 445 that I am using. Don't exactly recall what it looks like - Barbed pins on one side and connector on the end that goes to the iPod adaptor. ??

444 also came with 8E0 051 445 A which I am not using. I think this is used for the RNS unit which I do not have. This harness has a black main connector (12 pin connector), blue connector on opposite end - also 12 pins. 2 brown wires coming out of the blue connector end, one has black connector, the other is a barbed pin.

Hope this helps. I think you have put up with more BS than me.

BTW, change the subject line when replying. It speeds up the reading.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RNS-D audi ipod adpt. no recognition.

HI People, !!! I HAVE SAME PROBLEM !!! iv got an A4 B6 2002 avant with RNS-D the plus with TV and BOSE.

So Iv got the audi adapter 8e0 051 444 B and iv cut the plug off and used an old golf mirror plug to connect direct to the CD changer input. I used the thread on by audioligisTT. He

shows the wire colors and order but on CONCERT II .THE Plug ect on the C II and my unit are the same. I GET MY ipod charging and audi LOGO but display said No cd changer connected. when I

re-connect cd changer it works fine. Iv done loads of mods in my time and have worked on porsche

for 15 years. so ill grasp what you tell me. I also have vag-com 912. I think it might need reprog.

but cd is working so not sure. THANKS in advance for any help, Regards Phil